PDA

View Full Version : Getting a woofer system installed... which speakers should I upgrade?

Mills561
04-18-2010, 11:50 AM
I have an 02' Chevy Trailblazer and I'm putting in a system thats gonna be ~1000 watts rms, so it's going to be decenetly loud. The stock speakers definitely will not be loud enough, and I'm not trying to break the bank, so I'm going to replace only one pair. Which pair would be best to replace? The dash speakers (3 1/2), or front door (6 3/4). I'm not sure what brand I'm going to go with, but I always get quality equipment. Which pair will be best for the highs?

Also, is it worth going to a shop and paying big bucks to get a system installed the 100% correct way, or would it be a value to go to someone I know who has done installs and get it done for like $50?

Bumpin' Goalie
04-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Do the door 6.5's. More surface area to help reach the volume you want. Also, alot easier to attain, and possibly install. Plan on running an amp to them?

If not, with a few youtube "how-to's" and patience, you could do it yourself for free :)

Most cars will only need a a phillips, a putty knife, and a flathead to get the door panel off. Then Tah Dah plug and play.

Running an amp would be harder for a first time, so i'd suggest someone you trust.

amartin_72
04-18-2010, 12:00 PM
It depends on the shop good ones are few and far between. Find someone on here that will do it for you locally if you dont want to do it yourself.

Mills561
04-18-2010, 12:04 PM
With the help of my dad, I installed the last system I had in a 88" Chevy S10... even that was what seemed a ton of work, so putting in a lot bigger system is not for me. Also, I just plan to run the speakers off the headunit, with no amplifier.

Bumpin' Goalie
04-18-2010, 12:06 PM
Then it will be easy to do. Pop off the door, detach the stock speakers, attach the new speakers, put door back on, listen, enjoy.

However, most aftermarket speakers will perform better with amplification.

Mills561
04-18-2010, 02:30 PM
I think I'm probably going to get something like the Polk db651. What would be a good amp to match this with? And where would I mount the amp? And since I plan on getting another battery... which battery would I hook this amp to?