PDA

View Full Version : Viability of a sub in the back deck

voide
04-14-2010, 09:07 PM
Hey guys, just wanted to get some expert opinions on the subject before I went ahead with it...anyways, I've been thinking about getting a sub and amp. I'm thinking I only need a single good 12" sub with a 500-800 watt amp. I don't need crazy bass, just something to add a little kick. Haven't picked anything out yet, but that wont be the hard part.

Anyways, I don't want to just have an amp attached to a generic sub box in my trunk. I have a 05 Grand Prix, and was thinking about putting the sub in the middle of the 2 stock 6x9's in the back deck. Wanna know what everybody thinks about this. Below are some pictures, bottom and top. I assume I'd need to build some sort of box under the subwoofer to push the sound forward, but I just wanted to know if this would sound like crap. Lose bass? Would there be excessive rattle? Would it damage the 6x9's? Any and all input is appreciated.

Sub would go in the middle, right in the center of the two 6x9's.
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab79/shawncc14/IMG_0172.jpg http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab79/shawncc14/IMG_0174.jpg

gmanguy
04-14-2010, 11:01 PM
if you could find a way to cut that metal or w.e to get it fit you can buy subs made to be mounted on a back deck like that, they use the trunk as the box. ive never herd one like that but i would assume it isnt as tight or loud of bass.

Bumpin' Goalie
04-14-2010, 11:08 PM
Trunk Baffle it. Basically do what alot of cars are doing stock (but better). Check out the Suzuki Kizashi with the RF system for an example. They have a very entry level 8" in the rear deck in between the 6x9's.

I'd go with the largest sub you can fit because for Infinite Baffle/Trunk Baffle systems surface area is very important. An IDQ could be wonderful.

Most people will tell you to ditch the 6x9's or build enclosures for them to avoid the pressure from the trunk manipulating them.

Or you can build an enclosure down into the trunk that has the sub or port firing through the rear deck. That is also a very common option that can sound great.

For the least amount of install work, go with a box in the trunk with sub or port firing through the rear deck.

If you need further help, feel free to PM me with questions.

modskwod
04-14-2010, 11:14 PM
x2 on the IDQ. If you can get one and feel confident in your abilities to seal off your trunk, do it. Not output oriented though, so if you are looking for loud infinite baffle isn't for you.

chawski
04-15-2010, 10:06 AM
IBs soung great when done right, but doing it right its pretty tough. usually youre looking at some pretty significant expanding foam to fill all the small gaps and sealing off the trunk it hard to do. most trunk latches rattle a good bit with bass, which can let air escape from the trunk lid. Ive never personally done a IB and dont fully understand the theory behind it, so maybe some air leaks are ok? but from what ive seen, theyr pretty hard to do right. Also, as far as removing the 6x9s due to air pressure manipulating them...a lot of people will say you dont need rear speaks, but i really like having them. Ive been in cars that take them out and it just sounds like youre missng something.

As goalie said, the easiest way to do it is gonna be a sub box in the trunk that has either the sub mounted so its coming through the rear deck or the port firing through it. its much easier to seal off a 1-2 ft3 box than an entire trunk. A proper box is gonna be worlds easier than sealing off the trunk...remember, work smarter, not harder haha