PDA

View Full Version : Questions for guys who build a LOT of boxes

hispls
04-11-2010, 05:44 PM
OK, everyone talks about bigger box is more efficient at the expense of mechanical power handling.

Obviously at some point you can't go smaller and overcome with more power and on the other side, you can't just build an enormous box and get 150db off your stock HU.

SO what's the truth in all this?

Assuming tuning is the same and I'm not exceeding thermal or mechanical limits, could I honestly expect the same output with say 4 cubic feet and 1000W as 8cube with 2500W?

I'm looking to do a big build and I'm just wondering how much real gain I get from the sacrifice of space.

RAM_Designs
04-11-2010, 05:55 PM
It really depends on the subs and how they'll react in a certain box, as well as how well they can handle the power you're wanting to throw at them. Port size also plays a role in this as well.

I personally prefer to find subs that'll work with a slightly larger box, tuned around 28-30hz, and only needing about half of the rated RMS handling...easier on my electrical and the response curve that the box gives me works well with my truck. It can differ from person to person. Some people like throwing 3k or more at a single woofer, in a box that peaks hard in the 40-45hz region...just not my preference.

hispls
04-11-2010, 06:02 PM
More wondering if anyone has some solid measurements from actual A/B comparisons.

Again assuming neither thermal or mechanical limits are going to be reached either way, which way will get me more output, more power or more space?

Honestly if I had the time and wood I'd do some playing myself (and still might)

RAM_Designs
04-11-2010, 06:10 PM
It really just depends on the woofer, the box, and the environment it's in. If I get 1db more out of a 3ft^3 box and 1kw than I do out of a 2ft^3 box and 1.5kw, I can't transfer that over to a different woofer an assume I'll get the same results, since subs react differently in different boxes because of their t/s specs, and I will not get the same response curves because of that.

This is the main reason why people don't take much stock in the Big 12" and big 15" challenges, because they used a standard size box and tuning for all subs, where different sizes, tunings, and cars, will give you different results.

Fuknmovin
04-13-2010, 09:51 AM
^...........X2 I just finished a box for a single 10" sub in a 1.75CF box tuned to 35Hz....really too big for most people with a 10, and this little guy SLAMS off 1500 watts with little to no bottoming out. It flexes the roof of my truck like and INCH up and down to the naked eye! Not bad if you ask me for a little 10" sub! I will never build a "tight" box again, (this is the 7th setup I have had in this truck) I LOVE the sound and output of this one....and I had a 15" sub in a 6th order designed by 80inches with 3500 watts to it!