PDA

View Full Version : 96 taurus hard wiring a head unit

gmanguy
04-09-2010, 01:39 AM
just wondering if anyone has done this before. i have a 96 ford taurus with the digital climate control. since the radio and all the wires are in the trunk, is it possible i could hard wire a cd player into it and find a way to mount it somewhere myself?

nateberrier
04-09-2010, 09:16 AM
I have done a few of these, my brother just made the mistake of getting a 98 taurus. Both times we just disconnected the speaker harness and ran new wires out to each speaker. There is a suitable ACC and Power in the front as well, the problem comes to putting the hu in the dash without buying th crappy 80 dollar harness/bezel package. you could always try to glass it. My personal suggestion is to just buy the kit or try to find one without the wires and run new wires to the speakers. Running that harness to the back is a waste. For the power and ACC that should be easy. Grab your multimeter. You can mount it somewhere else but you might have to get creative. We put one in the console, but my brother's beast has a different console and no space for underdash mount. If you need help, lemme know and Ill tear his apart and do it with ya.

bubbagumper6
04-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Just buy the kit man. It may seem expensive but it will look the most professional when your done (unless you can fiberglass). It usually comes with the wiring kit that has like 10' leads on it so you can plug it in to the factory location in the trunk. I did an install for my girlfriend in her old taurus and the kit made it a piece of cake.

nateberrier
04-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Depends on what youre doing with it. I keep forgetting that not everyone is willing to rip their car apart and cut/fiber away.

Stereo Install Dash Kit Ford Taurus 96 97 98 99 - eBay (item 110113618903 end time Apr-24-10 14:01:56 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/Stereo-Install-Dash-Kit-Ford-Taurus-96-97-98-99_W0QQitemZ110113618903QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_0?hash=item19a3487bd7)

x1le
04-09-2010, 09:40 AM
Just buy the kit man. It may seem expensive but it will look the most professional when your done (unless you can fiberglass). It usually comes with the wiring kit that has like 10' leads on it so you can plug it in to the factory location in the trunk. I did an install for my girlfriend in her old taurus and the kit made it a piece of cake.

There is no kit for taurus' with the digital climate controls.

If you wanted to install a 2nd headunit and keep your factory one functional, yes it's possible.

nateberrier
04-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Ohhhh shii, those are the ones with just buttons right?

In that case, either find a good spot for it and bypass or buy one at a junkyard and go to town on the top half till the radio fits.

bubbagumper6
04-09-2010, 09:47 AM

If you wanted to install a 2nd headunit and keep your factory one functional, yes it's possible.

Oh, I've never seen one with digital climate controls...but there's gotta be some way to do it...

Johnny Law.Lulz
04-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Metra makes something for it i believe, you just have to look through their big *** catalog to find it.

corto
04-09-2010, 11:51 AM
i concour this ops question about the digital climate there has tobe something to be able to bypass it

gmanguy
04-09-2010, 12:47 PM

thats exactly the problem n hence my asking this question. i just need some help on what wires connect to what. speakers are easy its just all the other fuctions to the HU im not sure what goes where. im not to worried about mounting it i can figure that out pretty simply (got some ideas in mind already) so basically im wondering if anyone could tell me what wires are what for the ford factory and where i should cut into em at.

Jh8909
04-09-2010, 12:56 PM
there is only one way to add an aftermarket headunit to a 96-99 taurus with climate controls, and that is in the ashtray

see pictures here

1997 Ford Taurus Stereo pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net (http://www.supermotors.net/registry/1038/7568-2)

and here 1999 Ford Taurus Entertainment System pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net (http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford/registry/3660/14563#content)

gmanguy
04-09-2010, 02:16 PM
there is only one way to add an aftermarket headunit to a 96-99 taurus with climate controls, and that is in the ashtray

see pictures here

1997 Ford Taurus Stereo pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net (http://www.supermotors.net/registry/1038/7568-2)

and here 1999 Ford Taurus Entertainment System pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net (http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford/registry/3660/14563#content)

think you could give me a run thru of what wires i have to use and what ones have to stay hooked up for the air to work

nateberrier
04-09-2010, 07:10 PM
If you give me till tonight or tomorrow ill highlight them in a picture.

gmanguy
04-12-2010, 12:20 AM
This is how i wired in the cd player i had. the wires dont cross all were they do here just for simplicity in the drawing.

the switch turns on both the amp and the cd player. the 12v constant for the HU is with the switch in the power terminal of the amp. the 12v acc for the HU is with the other wire of the switch in the remote terminal of the amp. the ground for the HU is in the ground terminal for the amp. the speakers are wire accordingly. i unplugged the speakers from the stock radio and unplugged the radio in the trunk. my car is the column shifter so my center console area is slightly different along with my ash tray. i simply removed the ash tray and the cd player aculy slid in there and held very sturdy. the sound quality of this over having a LOC to power the subs is tremendously better.

Wingman0121
04-13-2010, 10:08 PM
I believe the ones with digital climate controls come with JBL premium audio systems? If so then you'll have to bypass the factory amp and hardwire the door speakers/tweeters as well. Yes they DO NOT make a dash kit for the ones with digital controls.

gmanguy
04-13-2010, 11:53 PM
yeah jbl n my front speakers dont work rite anyway (only plays really deeply not bass) and the tweeters didnt work so i put some little speakers in there that i had around but as of rite now i only have the back speakers hooked up directly to the speaker.

gmanguy
04-26-2010, 01:13 PM
got all the speakers wired, everythings working great for this setup n its bumpin way harder and sound quality is way better. this is such an easy and useful way to hook up a cd player without a harness or anything. anyone that wants help with something like this let me know

nateberrier
04-26-2010, 01:24 PM
wire harnesses are for pansies lol. Pics of the thing in the cigarette lighter?

gmanguy
05-11-2010, 03:01 PM
they really are n a waste of money imo. especially with this car i had to do so much BS to finally get it how i want it. i have this pic but i have a new HU now so if anyone's interested in a new pic ill take it.