PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Camaro 2SS / JBL 660GTI's, JBL W10GTI MkII's

The 2010 Sin
04-08-2010, 09:42 PM
So i've decided to go JBL.

Heres the situation: Working on a daily driver / showcar

2010 Chevy Camaro SS

2 - 10" JBL W10GTi MkII (trunk mounted in sealed enclosure by cartoys)
1 - JBL GTO 14001 (already installed)
2 - JBL 660GTI
2 - JBL GTO 1004
1 - Full Hushmat setup
1 - Kinetik Battery for 3000 watts.

CarToys in Tulsa is doing all of the install. But everyone has their own opinion.. I want crisp, clean, tight bass, and great sound quality. I am going to retain the factory head unit because i want it to be "semi-stealth".

The full install should be done by the end of next week. I will have many pictures to post soon! :-)

Your thoughts?

tapout
04-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Nice ride and equipment.

I can dig it. In for results.

robertoyoung08
04-08-2010, 09:50 PM
So i've decided to go JBL.

Heres the situation: Working on a daily driver / showcar

2010 Chevy Camaro SS

2 - 10" JBL W10GTi MkII (trunk mounted in sealed enclosure by cartoys)
1 - JBL GTO 14001 (already installed)
2 - JBL 660GTI
2 - JBL GTO 1004
1 - Full Hushmat setup
1 - Kinetik Battery for 3000 watts.

CarToys in Tulsa is doing all of the install. But everyone has their own opinion.. I want crisp, clean, tight bass, and great sound quality. I am going to retain the factory head unit because i want it to be "semi-stealth".

The full install should be done by the end of next week. I will have many pictures to post soon! :-)

Your thoughts?

cant wait to see some pics. no one uses jbl but i think they make good equipment. highs should be clean and ive always wanted to try jbl gti line subs. i hear they get really loud and are super good on sq. get a ton of pics of all the equipment and some vids of those gtis!

CranberryYumYum
04-08-2010, 09:53 PM
nice car and niiice subs :)

CranberryYumYum
04-08-2010, 09:54 PM
dp

Johnny Law.Lulz
04-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Nice equipment, hate the car.

DB-Audio
04-08-2010, 09:56 PM
nice equipment and pics of your stuff?

The 2010 Sin
04-08-2010, 10:02 PM
my 660gti's will be here on tuesday and should be in the shop that day or wed. hope to have pics for you next weekend! :-)

im pumped.. never spent +/- $5k on a sound system before.

Those JBL 660gti's won the EISA (European Imaging and Sound Award) which is a much coveted award in Europe, surpassing
the performance of last year's winning Morel system and the Focal Utopia series.

PUMPED to see how they sound..

PS. I probably hate your car too WorstEnemy453 :-)

Louisiana_CRX
04-08-2010, 11:53 PM
are you gonna update the crappy factory gm radio in your car :confused:

galacticmonkey
04-09-2010, 03:29 AM
So you spent $5,000 and ended up with some comps and 2 10s on the stock radio?

Beerdrnkr
04-09-2010, 05:11 AM
Don't forget to add the JBL MS-8 processor...

Joseph K
04-09-2010, 10:57 AM
cool story bro?... rip that brow off and have the entire windshield tinted instead. looks a lot cleaner, FYI

the727kid
04-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Those cars really need different front grills... thatd be the first thing to change imo.

The 2010 Sin
04-09-2010, 03:30 PM
yes i will retain the factory head unit. I will have the MS-8 installed the minute it ships... and that crappy factory head unit will sound better than most all if not all of the aftermarket units out there.

galacticmonkey
04-09-2010, 03:55 PM
Congratulations, you are stupid.

06Titan
04-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Nice car and I am looking forward to the pictures. What makes your factory head unit better than most of the aftermarket head units out?

LDW3RD
04-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Good luck.

Johnny Law.Lulz
04-09-2010, 07:21 PM
my 660gti's will be here on tuesday and should be in the shop that day or wed. hope to have pics for you next weekend! :-)

im pumped.. never spent +/- $5k on a sound system before.

Those JBL 660gti's won the EISA (European Imaging and Sound Award) which is a much coveted award in Europe, surpassing
the performance of last year's winning Morel system and the Focal Utopia series.

PUMPED to see how they sound..

PS. I probably hate your car too WorstEnemy453 :-)

Meh, I drive an 89 F150. I just hate this whole retro new car thing. The camaro is ******, the mustang is ******, the charger is a huge fail and the challenger is ******.

So you spent $5,000 and ended up with some comps and 2 10s on the stock radio?

Pretty mcuh.

yes i will retain the factory head unit. I will have the MS-8 installed the minute it ships... and that crappy factory head unit will sound better than most all if not all of the aftermarket units out there.

Wrong. First, running amps with a factory headunit will most likely cause noise issues that you wont be able to get rid of, second. An aftermarket radio will have better tuning options most of the time, and third, the aftermarket radio would make things a whole lot simpler. But you dont know what your doing so its ok, this board will be here to help when you run into problems.

Beerdrnkr
04-10-2010, 01:37 AM
There seems to be a lot of haters in here...I think the car is ******. Yes, you did pay a lot for the gear. I have 2 of the JBL GTO1004's and I had a GTO14001 before I sold it all for under $500. The GTI's I heard are pretty good but you might be expecting too much out of them although the MS-8 should still make your system sound pretty good. For those that are on here and don't believe the MS-8 will help out maybe you should do some research on the unit first, it's supposed to blow the H701 and Audison Bitone out of the water. However, hopefully it doesn't have any problems right out of the gate like usually seems to happen with nice processors.

LDW3RD
04-10-2010, 07:23 AM
Yeah your Camaro is pretty bad ***.

Goindef154
04-10-2010, 07:32 AM
Nice car and looking forward to seeing how everything turns out, especially the sub box because a friend of mine has a new one too and wants to put a sub and amp in.

HemiCoupe
04-11-2010, 02:58 PM
waiting for pics

Ridintwo6s
04-11-2010, 03:02 PM

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused:

why did any of us buy aftermarket headunits??

:crap::crap::crap:

The 2010 Sin
04-12-2010, 07:20 PM
I will say that an aftermarket headunit with the MS-8 will sound better most likely.. but you all should google and read up on it. its going to be one of the best pieces to hit the car audio market in years.

The 2010 Sin
04-12-2010, 07:24 PM
PS. worst enemy..

Gary Biggs is assisting the Car Toys team in Tulsa with my install? Do you really think he will have problems?

Come On....

also if you do your research on this 2010 camaro factory head unit it runs really nice flat signals.. it will do quite nicely with the MS-8..

Use your google feature.

DIYiT
04-12-2010, 08:46 PM
I think what a lot of you don't realize is how integrated the factory radio is in the new Camaro. The navigation, some of the climate controls, etc are somewhat integrated into the same space. While I'm sure the systems themselves are distinct and separate, the controls are all mixed into one neat and organized area which would definitely looked hacked if torn apart for an aftermarket radio.

While I do agree that $5k sounds a bit high for the gear you're getting, I at least agree with the direction you're going with the MS-8 for factory integration with update speakers and subs. I think it will best preserve the look of the interior. Let us know how it comes out and maybe you can elaborate on all the controls in the radio area; it's been a while since I saw the interior of the new Camaro up close enough to name everything off.

BTW: I think it's a sweet car.

ctt0002
04-12-2010, 08:57 PM
Meh, I drive an 89 F150. I just hate this whole retro new car thing. The camaro is ******, the mustang is ******, the charger is a huge fail and the challenger is ******.

Pretty mcuh.

Wrong. First, running amps with a factory headunit will most likely cause noise issues that you wont be able to get rid of, second. An aftermarket radio will have better tuning options most of the time, and third, the aftermarket radio would make things a whole lot simpler. But you dont know what your doing so its ok, this board will be here to help when you run into problems.

Only cheap factory units do that, my mark levinson headunit is crystal clear

HemiCoupe
04-12-2010, 09:40 PM
I think what a lot of you don't realize is how integrated the factory radio is in the new Camaro. The navigation, some of the climate controls, etc are somewhat integrated into the same space. While I'm sure the systems themselves are distinct and separate, the controls are all mixed into one neat and organized area which would definitely looked hacked if torn apart for an aftermarket radio.

While I do agree that $5k sounds a bit high for the gear you're getting, I at least agree with the direction you're going with the MS-8 for factory integration with update speakers and subs. I think it will best preserve the look of the interior. Let us know how it comes out and maybe you can elaborate on all the controls in the radio area; it's been a while since I saw the interior of the new Camaro up close enough to name everything off.

BTW: I think it's a sweet car.

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu251/ltlmotorsports/Camaro%20Double%20Din/P9281085-1.jpg

hatedonmostly
04-12-2010, 09:45 PM
PS. worst enemy..

Gary Biggs is assisting the Car Toys team in Tulsa with my install? Do you really think he will have problems?

Come On....

also if you do your research on this 2010 camaro factory head unit it runs really nice flat signals.. it will do quite nicely with the MS-8..

Use your google feature.

I tried not to hate in this thread, because you're a noob, but there is NO denying the other two points he made in his post. :fyi:

The 2010 Sin
04-13-2010, 09:46 PM
That Dash kit is $1800.00 from ltlaudio on camaro5.com he hand builds them and has the brain of the factory headunit built into a small metal box with its own LCD that has to be in an accesible place if you are to adjust many features like, headlights on/off when unlocked, horn when locked, bluetooth pairing, device pairing, all of the fuel parameters, onstar, GPS, Voice control, etc.

its a huge amount of money for a "dash kit" looks pretty sweet but isnt worth .25 versus keeping the factory headunit with an MS-8.

I may be a noob to the site. Not a noob to sound.

You all also dont realize, all this equipment would be expensive if it was just for the equipment. You must wait to see pictures of the final install and the detail being put into this.

:nerd:

No reason to be a hater..

The 2010 Sin
04-13-2010, 09:58 PM
Responding to this:

"Wrong. First, running amps with a factory headunit will most likely cause noise issues that you wont be able to get rid of, second. An aftermarket radio will have better tuning options most of the time, and third, the aftermarket radio would make things a whole lot simpler. But you dont know what your doing so its ok, this board will be here to help when you run into problems." - WorstEnemy

I would say:

1.) My factory head unit actually sends a very quiet flat signal, which has been proven by my installers as well as other audio pros.
2.) The tuning options wont be used in the headunit, thats what the MS-8 is for. :-)
3.) simple how? I think the factory head unit is extremely straight forward and simple, Then back to the MS-8... Think of the device as an auto calibrator for your vehicle’s sound system. It automatically adjusts crossover settings, frequency repsonse, stereo imaging and everything else needed to maximize your audio. The process takes about 10 minutes to run through a step-by-step prcedure with the included LCD screen, the setup CD and the included remote.

I do agree that without the using of the MS-8. I may have a little bit of a non perfect signal just using the JL Cleansweep and the JL Signal Summing interface but I already have a Pre-order down to be the first here in Tulsa to have this thrown in the car as soon as it arrives supposedly June.

I hope I prove you wrong.. but in the end you will just cruise down the road in your 89 ford hating because you hate the car, the setup, and the fact that im a newb on the forum you want to try and flame.

Beerdrnkr
04-13-2010, 11:03 PM
I read that it's good to run a center ch. speaker with the ms-8 and I think rear speakers too but not sure how important the rear speakers would be.

bigaudiofanatic
04-13-2010, 11:16 PM
Good stuff, good car, not a good idea to keep the stock head unit. But you do whatever you want it's your car and your money.

Brian_smith06
04-13-2010, 11:19 PM
Your install will turn out just fine. People use the factory deck all the time and it sounds just fine when they are done.

Beerdrnkr
04-13-2010, 11:31 PM
The stock deck in my Grand Vitara was made by clarion and it sounded really good. I had rainbow germaniums with an eqx and stock HU and was really impressed w/ the quality.

The 2010 Sin
04-14-2010, 01:45 AM
I think the stock headunit will be fine also... we shall see. :-)

slapperz
04-14-2010, 02:48 AM
Its a 2010 car and so much of the newer cars features are being integrated in the headunit that its simply the best option now an days. Most ppl with factory nav systems get a LOC to keep the factory HU and add aftermarket speakers. Any1 who disagrees most likely drives a ****** old car (with a nice sounding system to say the least...) or got a new car but was too poor to afford the NAV headunit and choose the crappy standard radio.

BigSix
04-14-2010, 10:16 AM
heard lots of good things about that processor...would like to hear your reviews when it gets in

The 2010 Sin
04-14-2010, 08:49 PM

Heres a sneak peak of the start of the build! :-) should be done by tomorrow night, this pic was taken this morning. Thats Gary Knox, in that photo working on the car. Member of Team JBL. Gary Biggs came in today and looked at the car and suggested I stick to a ported box. the size is only a couple inches larger but I will need it to help keep up with the two bi-amped pairs of the 660GTI's

Brian_smith06
04-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Im not sure if this has been discussed or mentioned yet but are they treating your car with any deadener/mlv?

Bumpin' Goalie
04-14-2010, 09:10 PM
Im not sure if this has been discussed or mentioned yet but are they treating your car with any deadener/mlv?

Looks like black-foil deadener on parts of the door. :confused:

wenn_du_weinst
04-14-2010, 09:19 PM
chevy could have had a home run on the camaro but they really just failed by making it "nice" inside and 10,000 pounds
nice equipment though

the727kid
04-14-2010, 10:03 PM
chevy could have had a home run on the camaro but they really just failed by making it "nice" inside and 10,000 pounds
nice equipment though

While I agree on the inside, the weight is nothing new. About the same as it has always been.

orangecounty1
04-14-2010, 10:09 PM

i lol'd.

The 2010 Sin
04-14-2010, 10:25 PM
Yes the car has 2 bulk kits of hushmat in it, thats what the whole back decklid, fenders doors floor and trunk are covered in. :-)

Bumpin' Goalie
04-14-2010, 10:29 PM
Yes the car has 2 bulk kits of hushmat in it, thats what the whole back decklid, fenders doors floor and trunk are covered in. :-)

I thought that was what I spied :)

I like the idea of all JBL, for being "mainstream" I enjoy their quality:price ratios. And though a quality aftermarket deck could put the stock one down, I believe you will be more than satisfied with the stock + processor combo.

Brian_smith06
04-14-2010, 10:52 PM
ok good. i saw the what looked like deadener over the rear wheel wells but wasnt sure. I was going to ask if it was second skin or hushmat

i look forward to seeing this finished

Andrizzle
04-14-2010, 11:04 PM
Nice ride. Also JBL is what is poppin' in Tulsa! lol

The 2010 Sin
04-14-2010, 11:49 PM
Im very excited! :-) Tulsa does rock JBL! :-)

The 2010 Sin
04-16-2010, 05:14 PM
Ya'll ready for this? :-)

I've had alot of systems, but none that have cost this much money. It is so clean and responsive, 300 watts RMS to each speaker, 600 rms to each sub. Perfect clean audio even at volume 35 and thats with highly amplified speakers twice as loud as 35 stock IMO. phone calls sound better, onstar sounds better, Zero drone from exhaust after all the hushmat.. its a quiet, incredible listening room and I havent even gotten the MS-8 yet. Thats just with the JL cleansweep and JL signal summing interface. ENJOY! :-)

Bumpin' Goalie
04-16-2010, 05:18 PM
Ya'll ready for this? :-)

I've had alot of systems, but none that have cost this much money. It is so clean and responsive, 300 watts RMS to each speaker, 600 rms to each sub. Perfect clean audio even at volume 35 and thats with highly amplified speakers twice as loud as 35 stock IMO. phone calls sound better, onstar sounds better, Zero drone from exhaust after all the hushmat.. its a quiet, incredible listening room and I havent even gotten the MS-8 yet. Thats just with the JL cleansweep and JL signal summing interface. ENJOY! :-)

Glad you like it :)

I'm guessing they built the two boxes separately so they could get them to fit into the trunk?

The 2010 Sin
04-16-2010, 06:11 PM
yes boxes were built separate. so i dont have to rip the box apart to take it out if i had to. :-)

traksta15
04-16-2010, 06:32 PM
clean install, I would have covered it in leather to match the interior/make it look better.

The 2010 Sin
04-16-2010, 11:01 PM
There is no leather in the trunk.. so i went with a factory look with the install to match all of its surrounds. the leather is on the inside of the car and the carpet is in the trunk. im going for a factory modified look

gladiator_jai
07-29-2010, 12:31 AM
What's the volume for the sub enclosure? Nice stuff.

GnFnRs
09-13-2010, 06:42 PM
nice looking install man.and i have always used and loved the jbl equipment.i would love to hear that thing.looks like it should really loud and really clear.

focused313
09-17-2010, 10:49 PM
seems like a bit much for what I see, but I'm guessing 5k included installation? How much was the installation?

SPLaudio
09-18-2010, 02:28 PM
looks nice except for the ports...

HCCA
09-18-2010, 06:32 PM
I would LOVE to give those GTi660's a listen. No where for me to go to audition them. How much, for the set, btw?

I have two W12GTi subs in my Explorer. I like them, but I now think I should have gone for the 15's, instead. I'm running 1100W/ea, sealed. I think I'm going to build a ported enclosure just to see what kind of improvement I get.

Vossy
09-18-2010, 07:00 PM
looks nice except for the ports...

x11000000

groundpound4200
09-18-2010, 07:31 PM
looks good, glad you're happy. I was in the same boat with my Honda Pilot w/ Nav. I ended up using the Alpine PXE-H650. After using aan aftermarket HU for years its a little weird but I'm getting used to it and the noise issue has been minimal with proper gain setting

rockintaurus
09-21-2010, 12:18 AM
msrp on the Components are 2000

Boldtothemax
09-21-2010, 07:58 PM
Sweet, clean install.....I am with the others though, ports look meh to me, but overall, looks killer!

Nice car to boot! I am envious, not jealous, haha!