PDA

View Full Version : 700 horsepower mustang gets 21" Death Penalty Sub

MECHMAN
04-08-2010, 10:33 AM
This is project car we've been working on for a while. We have made a series of videos showing various elements of the build, we will post up a new video each day showing the progress in real time. We have to have this system playable by Saturday, so we've been working until the wee hours of the morning every day! Stay tuned as we will be posting a new update each day.

Here are the Stats:

92 Mustang
383ci Windsor based engine
75mm T6 Turbo
Produces over 700 rwhp

As of this weekend the system will include:
21" Incriminator Death Penalty Sub
(2) Kicker ZX 2500.1 amps (modded to run at 16.5 volts)
(2) XS power D1400 14 volt batteries
MechMan 270 amp alternator
MTX 6.5" Components

Box specs:
Fiberglass & Birch Ply
8 cft
Twin 8" fluted square ports for 128 inches of port area
Sub facing up in the hatch, ports firing forward
Port length to be determined...

Burnout video for fun:
YouTube - Turbo Mustang burnout (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zw2Q6n5bPg)

EPISODE 1
YouTube - Hot Rod Mustang Gets Sweet New Sound System Installed (Part 1) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkK4207Tjbk&feature=related)

EPISODE 2
YouTube - Hot Rod Mustang Gets Sweet New Sound System Installed (Part 2) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdVVEtZoFdI&playnext_from=TL&videos=3twzlutbGac&feature=sub)

EPISODE 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNlJvCRGVak&playnext_from=TL&videos=0Zmyg1i4y3s&feature=feedu

Louisiana_CRX
04-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Should be a fun build.....

Mookie
04-08-2010, 10:43 AM
x2

rollingthunder
04-08-2010, 07:40 PM
If only they made television shows like this. Real people doing real life installs, without shoving brands up our *** every 10 seconds, cool build.

soundstreamer
04-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Looking good. I can't wait to see the finished product...

deathpenalty18
04-08-2010, 08:02 PM
is it a warden or dp? bc in the description it says dp but in video it says warden??

Kross6622
04-08-2010, 08:04 PM
lol i watched all 3 vids, and the whole time i was thinking, i cant wait till i get enough money to get me my mechman alt. lol.

KyleBechtold
04-08-2010, 08:13 PM
few things.. first vid you said one amp.. second vid you have two amps..

why they want to waste money to make it go fast then more to make it go slow? if they wanted to make it loud add some glass packs to the exhaust..

CranberryYumYum
04-08-2010, 08:36 PM

why they want to waste money to make it go fast then more to make it go slow? if they wanted to make it loud add some glass packs to the exhaust..

stick to sandwiches and leave the car talk to the big boys

KyleBechtold
04-08-2010, 08:39 PM
stick to sandwiches and leave the car talk to the big boys

oh big boy lets see your car... oh.. already did.. you had 1200 watts.. so..

RAM_Designs
04-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Why so much power for a DP?

CranberryYumYum
04-08-2010, 09:07 PM
oh big boy lets see your car... oh.. already did.. you had 1200 watts.. so..

haha. shouldn't have said that

you're telling me mechman shouldn't be doing this project to promote their product? you obviously don't see the appeal of "best of both worlds." have you ever been in a fast car? yeah maybe a civic with some fat friend sitting down in the back seat. bet even that car wasn't noticeably slower. you don't have any fat friends? then it's probably you.

that's ~400 pounds of stereo equipment (i'm guestimating here.. feel free to check my math) to over 700 horsepower. i think those horsies are still going to do what the owner wants them to do regardless of what is in the back. he's gonna have some ****** tunes to listen to while melting tires

i don't see how my wattage has anything to do with my knowledge of cars.. but i see how your years of autoerotic asphyxiation has clouded your judgement. like i said, leave the car talk to the big boys

KyleBechtold
04-08-2010, 09:12 PM
haha. shouldn't have said that

you're telling me mechman shouldn't be doing this project to promote their product? you obviously don't see the appeal of "best of both worlds." have you ever been in a fast car? yeah maybe a civic with some fat friend sitting down in the back seat. bet even that car wasn't noticeably slower. you don't have any fat friends? then it's probably you.

that's ~400 pounds of stereo equipment (i'm guestimating here.. feel free to check my math) to over 700 horsepower. i think those horsies are still going to do what the owner wants them to do regardless of what is in the back. he's gonna have some ****** tunes to listen to while melting tires

i don't see how my wattage has anything to do with my knowledge of cars.. but i see how your years of autoerotic asphyxiation has clouded your judgement. like i said, leave the car talk to the big boys

its not just how much its where.. all the weight in the back will throw the balance way off.. most of us don't car as we are trying to go fast.. not to say it had the best handling anyways its a mustang but still..

and when you are trying to not sound like a 5 yr old its good to keep the retard lingo down.. besides you are younger than me retard

CranberryYumYum
04-08-2010, 09:23 PM
its not just how much its where.. all the weight in the back will throw the balance way off.. most of us don't car as we are trying to go fast.. not to say it had the best handling anyways its a mustang but still..

your edit cause it's hard for you to talk ****

and when you are trying to not sound like a 5 yr old its good to keep the retard lingo down.. besides you are younger than me retard

and you're living proof age does not = wisdom. if he was going for easy and perfect weight distribution he wouldn't have a fox body. they are street cars and they handle fine for what they are. if he wanted to put all that work into a perfect 50/50 distribution with a fox body he wouldn't have a hatchback.

you're angry because you don't understand the things i say. i said you whacked off with a noose around your neck and went into a coma. when you came to you weren't as sharp as you were before. people are allowed to be slow without being retarded

i'll be looking for updates soon so hurry! :)

KyleBechtold
04-08-2010, 09:31 PM
and you're living proof age does not = wisdom. if he was going for easy and perfect weight distribution he wouldn't have a fox body. they are street cars and they handle fine for what they are. if he wanted to put all that work into a perfect 50/50 distribution with a fox body he wouldn't have a hatchback.

you're angry because you don't understand the things i say. i said you whacked off with a noose around your neck and went into a coma. when you came to you weren't as sharp as you were before. people are allowed to be slow without being retarded

i'll be looking for updates soon so hurry! :)

I understand everything you say and that you have some homoerotic desires to whack it with a noose and you are projecting you behaviors on others to cover up for your own weird actions. and it doesn't need to be perfect but adding all that weight to the back will throw it even more out of proportion.

and wisdom is what you bring up.. let me know when you can figure out what mdf is instead of particle board.. blame the guy at menards.. but you saw it before you paid...

CranberryYumYum
04-08-2010, 10:06 PM
i'm sorry for my immaturity your build log mechman. please forgive me. and please post some more videos!

Millertime1028
04-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Looking forward to the finished results. Cool to see videos like that from an established company. Good stuff Matt

Bfat567
04-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Looking forward to the finished results. Cool to see videos like that from an established company. Good stuff Matt

x2 on all this

connersdad19
04-09-2010, 12:25 AM
yeah you guys need to take the interweb b!tch slapping somewhere else...nice build so far...

MECHMAN
04-09-2010, 10:44 AM
We were planning to use a warden originally, but it was brought to my attention that the gap is probably a little tight to play music on one for extended periods. The first vid was shot before we made the change.

5,000 watts should be fine for very short demos and burps. Input voltage and gains will be kept very low so that nothing has to be overstressed. Just because we have that much power available doesn't mean we have to use it all the time.

Originally we were going to run one large amp, but it wasn't available in time to make the show. These videos where shot across a two week period, and sometimes plans have to change to accommodate conditions.

The car already runs mid 10's on DOT approved tires, and is easily capable of 9's on race gas. In order to meet the minimum weight requirements for some local racing classes, and to run conventional street tire shootouts, we would have to put at least 200 lbs of ballast into the back of the car anyway. Basically we opted to install a functional audio system, instead of bolting steel weights in the rear bumper. It's a stock style suspension drag car setup for radials, not a road race car. We want as much of the weight in the rear as possible.

Here's a video of it on street tires against a 2003 Supercharged Cobra. It has 220 lbs of ballast in the back. No transbrake, rolling off the line just above idle:

YouTube - 2003 Cobra Terminator vs. Turbo foxbody (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAuwj2ctR8g)

...and it's already an open 4" downpipe, so the exhaust note isn't going to get any louder. Maybe you might put glasspacks on your sweet ride, but around here glasspacks are reserved for flatbed farm trucks and redneck '79 transams.

dasinde91
04-09-2010, 01:15 PM
This looks like it will turnout nice & loud, keep updated.
Also gotta love the hot female with the pigtails getting into it too.......

LDW3RD
04-09-2010, 07:19 PM
in for the awesomeness. :)

MECHMAN
04-10-2010, 12:13 AM
Here's a quick update video showing the box as of last night:

YouTube - mexhmaninstall3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNlJvCRGVak&playnext_from=TL&videos=0Zmyg1i4y3s&feature=feedu)

Mr. Slate
04-10-2010, 12:22 AM
Very good tutorial. More vids please.

ZO6killinsbf
04-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Saweet!!! I love it. Not too many people understand that for every 100 lb change is only like a 10hp difference. Who notices 20hp in a 700hp car?

Jaredturp
04-12-2010, 01:11 AM
This will be sick. I'm calling it.

98GSR
04-12-2010, 04:10 AM
If I remember correctly every 100lbs accounts for .1 of sec which is kinda of a lot at that level of racing. A plus of the build is having more wieght over the rear tires to help them hook to the track. You can say its a win win situation.

hatedonmostly
04-12-2010, 04:33 AM

Uh what? The extra weight in the rear over the rear tires will allow the tires to hook up better.

Game over.

Parker G
04-12-2010, 04:47 AM

I take it you've never seen a car do a wheelie? Drag cars intentionally have soft springs up front and most people will also remove the front sway bar to help transfer the cars weight to the rear causing ****** handling but a consisent hard launch.

Keep the videos comin mechman.

silvercookie
04-12-2010, 06:22 AM
nice turbo.

snoopdan
04-12-2010, 06:23 AM
Hey I race my corvette, and it has a setup in it. Only a Diamond Audio D3 8" though and a MM1500.1 :) Im doing a 8.11 in the 1/8th :P

ZO6killinsbf
04-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Also it is removable for racing so it would only be an effect on the street.

MECHMAN
04-12-2010, 11:35 AM
When we run our hard tire class, we are limited to a 300 treadwear, regular radial tire. (not a drag radial) I have added as much as 250 lbs ballast to the back of the car, and the more weight I added, the faster I could ramp in the boost, and the lower the ET got. I estimate that this build will add about 350 lbs to the rear of the vehicle, so we will see what that does for ET.

I'm still doing some smoothing to the instide of the box, and the port exits. We will be installing the box and wiring it on Wednesday. I feel that the SPL gods will smile on this build :)

We still have a lot more smoothing to do, but hopefully we should have the lid on and the box mounted today.

Here's the mockup of the sub. It barely clears the spare tire well by 1/2 and inch, and the rear of the surround clears the back of the hatch by about 2". Once I install the amps and batteries on either side of the box, there should be hardly any air space except for the "wedge" of airspace above the hatch.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w153/skimpytau/mustang/box2.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w153/skimpytau/mustang/box1.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w153/skimpytau/mustang/box3.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w153/skimpytau/mustang/box5.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w153/skimpytau/mustang/box4.jpg

MECHMAN
04-19-2010, 10:43 PM
progress so far has been a little slow, had to wrap up the bathroom remodel in my house, AND we broke and axle over the weekend, so know I have to deal with that. The next vids should be of the windshield flexing....

Basically we just have to swap out the alternator, finish covering the box with vinyl, and we will be ready to rock. We opted to go with two D1400 XS power 14 volt batteries instead of just one, they look more symmetrical and fit in perfect little pockets on either side of the box.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w153/skimpytau/mustang/IMG00205-20100415-2010.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w153/skimpytau/mustang/IMG00206-20100415-2011.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w153/skimpytau/mustang/IMG00208-20100415-2011.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w153/skimpytau/mustang/IMG00223-20100415-2025.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w153/skimpytau/mustang/IMG00224-20100415-2046.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w153/skimpytau/mustang/IMG00237-20100416-1852.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w153/skimpytau/mustang/IMG00234-20100416-1848.jpg

Millertime1028
04-19-2010, 10:50 PM
^ lol at the first pic. Looks great man. Can't wait to try those d1400's on the D9's. Any testing or play time yet ?

CranberryYumYum
04-19-2010, 11:00 PM
:)

813thumper
04-19-2010, 11:12 PM
is that a single baffle?

basebalz13
04-19-2010, 11:17 PM
Yeah, kind of ***** on the car matt. Lots of bad luck :(

but dam hear that turbo from a mile away. Next time I'm up there I need to give you a couple days notice so you can take the mustand and we can go for a joy ride :D.

skadude016
04-19-2010, 11:22 PM
cant wait to see numbers

basebalz13
04-19-2010, 11:28 PM
I heard there was massive windsheild flex off single amp :D

MECHMAN
04-19-2010, 11:51 PM
We did a quick amp test with just one amp, on one coil, just to verify that the amps would run at 17 volts after we modded the board. We didn't even have the sub screwed down, and the windshield was flexing, LOL. I expect good things.

The box has two baffle boards that make up twin 8"x8" square ports firing into the seats. All the corners inside the box and ports have been rounded and smoothed, and 2" pipe was used to make rounded inner flanges for the ports that double as box reinforcement to support the sub.

813thumper
04-20-2010, 12:08 AM
We did a quick amp test with just one amp, on one coil, just to verify that the amps would run at 17 volts after we modded the board. We didn't even have the sub screwed down, and the windshield was flexing, LOL. I expect good things.

The box has two baffle boards that make up twin 8"x8" square ports firing into the seats. All the corners inside the box and ports have been rounded and smoothed, and 2" pipe was used to make rounded inner flanges for the ports that double as box reinforcement to support the sub.

not really the baffle.. was talking about where the sub sits. is that only one piece of wood? is there any other bracing inside the box

MECHMAN
04-20-2010, 10:48 AM
2" pipe was used to make rounded inner flanges for the ports that double as box reinforcement to support the sub.

Also, that is marine birch ply, much more rigid than MDF. There is only about a 6" span of unsupported board all the way around the sub, so it is PLENTY strong. We used birch so that we wouldn't have to make the box so heavy with multiple layers of MDF.

DB-Audio
04-20-2010, 02:31 PM
looks nice man good job always wanted to do a build with one of these monsters

MECHMAN
04-21-2010, 10:07 AM
I'm going to try and get the new alt in tonight, might have time for some vids if it isn't too late. Between the exhaust and the system, my neighbors hate me :crap:

nateberrier
04-21-2010, 10:18 AM
Lol, at least they know when youre home

Wingman0121
04-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Uh what? The extra weight in the rear over the rear tires will allow the tires to hook up better.

Game over.

Right? So many people on here ***** at each other in other people's thread about the dumbest ****, just wasting space.

Nice build, not too many people can go drag racing then drive to a stereo contest. You won't have to add counterweight in the back now haha.

Annnarbor84
04-21-2010, 11:50 AM
Nice build!

813thumper
04-21-2010, 01:52 PM
that box is gonna flex like a *****. a single layer of wood and some pvc thats not even a whole piece isnt gonna cut it for a 60 pound sub that you are about to throw 5k watts at. you should have at least made a double baffle birch or not.

basebalz13
04-21-2010, 02:40 PM
I think he will be perfectly fine, I have done simlliar things and everything has been fine. If not, he can do a flush mount on it.

CranberryYumYum
04-21-2010, 03:31 PM
looks great

Millertime1028
04-21-2010, 06:32 PM
that box is gonna flex like a *****. a single layer of wood and some pvc thats not even a whole piece isnt gonna cut it for a 60 pound sub that you are about to throw 5k watts at. you should have at least made a double baffle birch or not.

You do realize the port walls support half of the baffle as well. As basebalz stated also, he'll be just fine. Matthew knows what hes doing

MECHMAN
04-21-2010, 10:02 PM
I am going to do a flush mount trim plate, but just for looks, not because it needs the strength.

I just played it with the car turned off. (no alternator) I tried playing some Jeezy on a CD, but it would just skip at about half volume. I plugged in my Iphone and played "Put On" and the fluorescent lights in my shop started shorting out and flickering from the Vibration. Still needs a little tweeking but we think its definitely breaking 150 db. I would have made a vid, but I had to use my phone to play the song, LOL. I will post one up tomorrow.

Johnny Law.Lulz
04-21-2010, 10:10 PM
We were planning to use a warden originally, but it was brought to my attention that the gap is probably a little tight to play music on one for extended periods. The first vid was shot before we made the change.

5,000 watts should be fine for very short demos and burps. Input voltage and gains will be kept very low so that nothing has to be overstressed. Just because we have that much power available doesn't mean we have to use it all the time.

Originally we were going to run one large amp, but it wasn't available in time to make the show. These videos where shot across a two week period, and sometimes plans have to change to accommodate conditions.

The car already runs mid 10's on DOT approved tires, and is easily capable of 9's on race gas. In order to meet the minimum weight requirements for some local racing classes, and to run conventional street tire shootouts, we would have to put at least 200 lbs of ballast into the back of the car anyway. Basically we opted to install a functional audio system, instead of bolting steel weights in the rear bumper. It's a stock style suspension drag car setup for radials, not a road race car. We want as much of the weight in the rear as possible.

Here's a video of it on street tires against a 2003 Supercharged Cobra. It has 220 lbs of ballast in the back. No transbrake, rolling off the line just above idle:

YouTube - 2003 Cobra Terminator vs. Turbo foxbody (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAuwj2ctR8g)

...and it's already an open 4" downpipe, so the exhaust note isn't going to get any louder. Maybe you might put glasspacks on your sweet ride, but around here glasspacks are reserved for flatbed farm trucks and redneck '79 transams.

I dont know if this has been adressed in the 2 pagesi havnt read but this is definitely not true.

Gangsta
04-21-2010, 10:51 PM
I am going to do a flush mount trim plate, but just for looks, not because it needs the strength.

I just played it with the car turned off. (no alternator) I tried playing some Jeezy on a CD, but it would just skip at about half volume. I plugged in my Iphone and played "Put On" and the fluorescent lights in my shop started shorting out and flickering from the Vibration. Still needs a little tweeking but we think its definitely breaking 150 db. I would have made a vid, but I had to use my phone to play the song, LOL. I will post one up tomorrow.
can't wait for vids of this. Awesome build and car

MECHMAN
04-22-2010, 10:15 AM
I dont know if this has been adressed in the 2 pagesi havnt read but this is definitely not true.

Regarding the choice of the Death Penalty over the Warden-

I easily could have afforded either one. I gave Nick (the owner of Incriminator) my specs and what the general use would be, and he recommended that I go with the Death Penalty. I would think that he, if anyone, would know.

DB-Audio
04-22-2010, 01:25 PM
glad to see you got it all hooked up and its working cant wait for a video

MECHMAN
04-22-2010, 07:56 PM
The system is pretty violent at about 32hz. Here you go:

YouTube - MOV02623.MPG (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuD-ktKDKn8)

Annnarbor84
04-22-2010, 08:41 PM
The system is pretty violent at about 32hz. Here you go:

Looks great! IA ftw!!!

Gangsta
04-22-2010, 08:55 PM
That must be so loud. Sometime you should make another vid outside. And maybe try a hairtrick.

If you peak at 32 hz these songs should slam
Lil' Scrappy - No Problem
Ludacris - How Low
U.S.D.A. - White Girl
Young Jeezy - Soul Survivor

DB-Audio
04-22-2010, 10:07 PM
**** that thing just looks crazy nice job cant wait to see what she does on the tl

MECHMAN
04-26-2010, 09:49 AM
I'm reconing the sub for the Macon GA show this weekend. Anyone going? I think I'm going to enter the lightweight division of bassboxing.

MECHMAN
04-29-2010, 05:08 PM
Well, I've got the sub built and it's playing again. We're going to do some testing tonight, I'll post up termlab results. (unless they ****, LOL)

skylineTT
04-29-2010, 05:10 PM
ive got 3K on a 15 in my 700hp 87 mustang..

MECHMAN
04-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Sweet! I was building mine for Meca boom & zoom, but there don't seem to be any events on the schedule?

I'm going to try and get some events going, I know we could do one at I40 dragway in Crossvile TN.

Maybe if I get real cocky and start calling people out, it will develop enough interest to get some B&Z events on the Meca schedule.

I'm pretty confident nobody in the country would beat my combined score, so lets find out!!

basebalz13
04-30-2010, 10:50 AM
Sweet! I was building mine for Meca boom & zoom, but there don't seem to be any events on the schedule?

I'm going to try and get some events going, I know we could do one at I40 dragway in Crossvile TN.

Maybe if I get real cocky and start calling people out, it will develop enough interest to get some B&Z events on the Meca schedule.

I'm pretty confident nobody in the country would beat my combined score, so lets find out!!

Iunno bout that :D. One of the other teammates just got a pretty nasty car. Wonder if he'll let me do something in it, and ya'll go at it.

MECHMAN
05-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Well, it better be able to run 10.50s in the quarter, and do better than a 150. From what I've seen nobody has ever even came close to that ET and SPL combo.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w153/skimpytau/IMG_0763.jpg

rosshimself13
05-04-2010, 04:26 PM
very sick... gotta wonder would they hear the turbo or the sub first... most likely turbo because of the higher frequency.. are you worried about vibrations killing the amps?

zierbox
05-04-2010, 04:34 PM
In 1985 I had Two 30” subs in my 84 Cobra

GAM3OVR
05-04-2010, 04:39 PM
5 pages, and very few photos. :( im disapointed

Silver-N-Black
05-04-2010, 04:58 PM
x2

MECHMAN
05-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Did you not see the video link I posted, you can see just about the entire system in the video:

Here's a vid of it pulling up in the lanes at the show last weekend:
YouTube - MechMan Mustang pulling up in the SPL lanes at Macon DB drag show (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EQhAG24vNA)

Another showing the finished box:
YouTube - 700 hp mustang with 21" subwoofer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM8Lb6-AYG4)

I am taking it to a local car show this weekend, so hopefully I will be able to get some good vids of demoing it for people and their reactions.