PDA

View Full Version : New member with Alpine iDA-X100 and questions

Stingroo
04-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Hey there. I found this forum searching the Internet.

I just bought (say, a month ago or so) a 1992 Chevrolet Caprice Wagon, and it had (has) an Alpine iDA-X100 in it. I liked this because I could plug a USB flash drive in and listen to my music.

Well, recently I got an iPod Touch, but when I plug that in, it can't read it, and says "USB Device Error". After some searching, I found something about a High Speed USB cable from Alpine, but I'm still not too sure.

Any insight?

Also, I was poking around in the back of my car because I thought my rear speakers were blown (the lows were incredibly bad and obnoxious). However, when we got to them and looked, they didn't look blown at all. They're MMATS 6x9's that have their own little built in crossovers. My dad says they could sound like crap because they're UNDERPOWERED. Thoughts?

Thanks for any help you guys can give. :)

-Ray

nateberrier
04-06-2010, 10:31 AM
If they arent 4ohms exactly, sometimes the unit will go into protect, the cage of the speak could also be grounding to the chassis. You could also have a bad wire. Youre getting the device error either because you dont have the stock Alpine ipod cable for the USB port (yes for whatever reason this matters) or because the HU is not compatible. the X100 is newer and should work though. My brother and I have been through about 5 of the X200s. The full speed cable should work fine, and it will free up your USB. I would try another Ipod first, the touch and iphone have a different file system. I have also heard of people having issues with the extra aux being turned on causing issues. If this still doesnt help, call alpine. The full speed should def work though

Stingroo
04-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Hmm... alright. Well the full speed cable is like $20 on Amazon (anyone know cheaper? us college students love saving money :P)

I'll have to take pictures of the speakers/the setup. I'm afraid I don't know anything about this area of car audio (or many at all, for that matter, lol)

HighTQCummins
04-06-2010, 11:19 AM
you need the right cable for some reason, I too have a touch and it wont work w/ just a regular USB cable

Stingroo
04-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Amazon.com: Alpine KCE 422i - Digital player data cable - Apple Dock connector (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000F493RM/sr=8-1/qid=1270253251/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=172282&s=electronics&qid=1270253251&sr=8-1)

That's the cable I need, correct? :)

nineball
04-07-2010, 04:46 PM
the x100 had a known problem with itouch and iphone connections. sometimes the supplied alpine cable worked, sometimes it did not. i had an x100 and an x001 and neither of them worked with my iphone. i called alpine direct and was told about the iffy cables. they offered to send me another cable that was supposed to work but the sq on the ida line was so bad i never bothered and just replaced the hu.

Stingroo
04-07-2010, 04:50 PM
I don't really mind the sound quality. It's fine for what I need/use. I don't really play loud music or anything, I just want the ability to play my OWN music.

I have a USB flash drive in the regular connector for now, and I use it with the MIX feature, so I don't really mind that, I just figured if there was a way to use my iTouch, I would like that a bit more because the controls appear to be a bit more intuitive.

I don't even know what kind of speakers the car has up front, like I said, because sound quality isn't really my #1 concern at all. I'm more into the car itself. :)

Any insight on my question about my rear speakers? Or should I post that in another thread somewhere?

nateberrier
04-09-2010, 12:14 AM
I don't really mind the sound quality. It's fine for what I need/use. I don't really play loud music or anything, I just want the ability to play my OWN music.

I have a USB flash drive in the regular connector for now, and I use it with the MIX feature, so I don't really mind that, I just figured if there was a way to use my iTouch, I would like that a bit more because the controls appear to be a bit more intuitive.

I don't even know what kind of speakers the car has up front, like I said, because sound quality isn't really my #1 concern at all. I'm more into the car itself. :)

Any insight on my question about my rear speakers? Or should I post that in another thread somewhere?

I gave you a few ideas above.

SRLMJ23
04-15-2010, 08:26 AM
There's two cables that are needed, the first one that connects to the back of the deck and then goes wherever you want it (I put mine in my glovebox) however, there is another cable that plugs into the first cable which is the cable you need to have your ipod(s) to work, if you have an iphone that will work too however it has to be in airplane mode or every little sound the iphone makes comes through your speakers.