PDA

View Full Version : Att: CDT CL-61 Owners

sumone
01-04-2004, 02:13 AM
1: Where do you keep the tweets [kicks/door/dash/elsewhere + positioning?]

2: Where do you keep the 6.5s [kicks/door/elsewhere + positioning]

3: Where do you keep the crossovers? [out of the way/hidden or somewhere in clear view - they look huge in pictures...]

4: What would you prefer as the ideal listening experience [SQ] setup [regarding questions 1 & 2]

5: Was any custom installation required? For example, cutting your door or making kick panels differently so that ___fill_in_blank___

Unreal
01-04-2004, 01:32 PM
Going to be different for every car. My components all went in stock locations with the crossovers in the doors.

ss3079
01-04-2004, 02:30 PM
1: Where do you keep the tweets [kicks/door/dash/elsewhere + positioning?]

2: Where do you keep the 6.5s [kicks/door/elsewhere + positioning]

3: Where do you keep the crossovers? [out of the way/hidden or somewhere in clear view - they look huge in pictures...]

4: What would you prefer as the ideal listening experience [SQ] setup [regarding questions 1 & 2]

5: Was any custom installation required? For example, cutting your door or making kick panels differently so that ___fill_in_blank___

Mid and tweets will be in kicks.
Crossovers mounted right above under the dash, or under the carpet near the kick, or in the trunk. Most likely under the dash.

Ideal listening experience ... depends on the vehicle. Usually kick panels work pretty well.

www.soundillusions.net/sites/ss3079/CDTCL-61/
Crossovers aren't that big.

- Steve

sumone
01-04-2004, 04:21 PM
Those pictures help a lot ss3079! I've got a set on the way and will most-likely have to buy a set of kicks
[a non-custom/universal set from q-logic since they don't make them for 2k malibus and also cause no one on this forum's answered if they make them to sell, and first of all cause I can't make em]

Also, one thing I forgot to add was, how easy was installation (or do how easy do you think it will be)?

Never installed anything in my 3 week-old first car (still can't even figure out how to take off door panel!), and I'm actually gonna try and do it myself. Also got the usx 4065 on the way to power 'em [and an eD12kx bridged].

Also, if I decided to get a rear-fill set, how would that hook into the amp? If 1+2 is for components and 3+4 is for bridged sub?

ss3079
01-04-2004, 04:25 PM
Installation should be routine. Pretty simple.

Since you already have an amp coming, I'd just power the rear fill off of the head unit, if you decide you need rear fill.

I've got a 2003 Malibu ... nice cars to install into - I've yet to do anything to it, but there are plans.

- Steve

ngsm13
01-04-2004, 04:27 PM
well, if u go with rear fill...look into thh cdt cl-6x. Also, i'd keep the us acoustics 4065 for the front and rear fill...and get another small amp for the sub. Something like the profile cl400...at thezeb.com good luck, peace

NG

Gauntlet
01-04-2004, 05:26 PM
My tweets and mids are in kick panels.....I've got the image enhancement tweeters in my dash.....I've got the crossovers mounted underneath my dear deck.

And you can make your own kicks, check my tutorial in the box forum. ;)

Berry47
01-04-2004, 06:28 PM
I mounted my crossovers on the kick panels in my car and the speakers in all stock locations.

sumone
01-04-2004, 07:55 PM
And you can make your own kicks, check my tutorial in the box forum.

Yeah, I've checked that out in the past. But...I'm like one of the other guys who posted in that thread saying good job, but still would buy some. Not that time and money is an issue, the stuff involved is way over my head... I'm not worried about, if I mess up, I'll just try again and it'll be all good - my concern is that I'll have to keep trying, and by the time I get it right, I would've been better off just buying some. Plus I don't have a garage [live in apartment with parents and brother; all four of us have cars] and it seems the time frame is 2-5 days; I can't just leave my car on the street with the door wide open with all those materials hanging out.

Upgrading my system is the first thing I'm doing with my car. It just won't work out if I made 'em myself...but nice instructions though!

sumone
01-04-2004, 09:13 PM
I'm pretty much determined to buy the universal kicks from q-logic. Cause when the CDTs come, I wanna just pop 'em in the kicks, wire 'em up to the amp, wire up the amp, and be set to go.

Anyone advise me against buying the q-logic kicks? [only if you're not going to say I'd be better of doing it myself!] thezeb has them for $90.

Oh shoot! I just read through the description on thezeb and it says: "holds up to 6-1/8 inch midrange driver" Ahhh!!! The CDTs are 6.5!!! Will they fit despite what it says????

...hold up...but sounddomain has them for $100, and in its description, it says " These enclosures can accommodate woofer sizes up to 6 1/2" and a 2 1/2" tweeter" ??? The models are both the same [QLU-5001]...which one do I believe?

Do I save $10 and take the chance that the 6.5 won't fit with thezeb, or do I take the chance that sounddomain is telling the truth that 6.5s fit?

sumone
01-05-2004, 11:46 AM
Just got an email from thezeb saying the cl-61a's are "temporarily" out of stock. Ordered them on friday, got the email today. They did say, they expect to have them back in stock on Jan. 9 [this friday]

...just to let any potential buyers know

wags
01-05-2004, 01:10 PM
They must be swamped or something because i ordered them the 28th and they just shipped today. Good thing I ordered them earlier =oP

KyleHutcherson
01-05-2004, 01:26 PM
hey
can anyone tell if there's any hope of fixing my sub? its a L5 15' and i think its blew the vc

Berry47
01-05-2004, 05:32 PM
check your tinsel leads

ss3079
01-05-2004, 07:05 PM
Just got an email from thezeb saying the cl-61a's are "temporarily" out of stock. Ordered them on friday, got the email today. They did say, they expect to have them back in stock on Jan. 9 [this friday]

...just to let any potential buyers know

Yeah, mine were too ... this was before Christmas.

They "got more in stock" on a Friday, and it shipped the Monday - so no biggie.

I have "got more in stock" in quotes because the package itself came from CDT Audio.

- Steve

wags
01-05-2004, 11:28 PM
maybe they got stuff mixed up and setn them to people who ordered them later? Or perhaps i wont get them and i'll have to wait until next week whereas they neglected to send me an email. Oh well.

bnbhoha
01-05-2004, 11:55 PM
I ordered mine last night and got that same e-mail that they would receive them on the 9th. I really needed them this week because a buddy of mine was going to help me install the amp & speakers. Too bad they don't update their website; their policy does state that orders received before 4pm get shipped on the same day.

Also wondering, why these miscolored speakers aren't running out at the CDT warehouse. It seems thezeb runs out and them gets them back in stock, and they've done this on several occasions. On how many batches did the color not come out right?

ss3079
01-05-2004, 11:56 PM
Who knows ... like I said, I don't believe I even got mine from thezeb.

- Steve

dflock
01-06-2004, 10:10 AM
Might be tryin to get rid of all old stock for a new line of Classics that are due out in 2004.

wags
01-07-2004, 10:11 PM
Who knows ... like I said, I don't believe I even got mine from thezeb.

- Steve

I don't htink i got mine there either. I checked my shipping and its shipping from California! I REALLY need these asap to install before school starts. I may just have the weekend if it gets here by friday. :(

dflock
01-08-2004, 10:02 AM
I don't htink i got mine there either. I checked my shipping and its shipping from California! I REALLY need these asap to install before school starts. I may just have the weekend if it gets here by friday. :(

CDTs, US headquarters is CA. They are probably coming from the storeroom there. Mine came directly from CDT about 2 weeks ago. I think almost all of them are. I would figure that TheZeb will not be selling them for too much longer.

wags
01-08-2004, 12:12 PM
good thing i jumped on the bandwagon.

sumone
01-08-2004, 02:19 PM
CDTs, US headquarters is CA. They are probably coming from the storeroom there. Mine came directly from CDT about 2 weeks ago. I think almost all of them are. I would figure that TheZeb will not be selling them for too much longer.

Oh, it's TheZeb and not ThezeB ???? Interesting...

BoxsterBoy
01-08-2004, 02:26 PM

theZEB then.... As they write it themselves....

wags
01-08-2004, 04:41 PM
Hey, anyone who actually has a pair of these on hand. (I just got mine today). I need to know which wire is the positive and which is the negative on the tweeters.

Oh. also since they were shipped from CDT, I don't have a thezeb receipt. So what am I to do about extending the warranty to 3yrs?!

ss3079
01-08-2004, 07:13 PM
TheZeb sent me a copy of the transaction to my e-mail. I sent that is as a proof of purchase.

Positive on the tweets is the wire with the red line through it I believe.

- Steve

Berry47
01-08-2004, 08:10 PM
When I got my HD-62cf's I got my email the same day. I also believe I was one of the last people, if not the last, to purchase the 62cf's. 2 days after I bought mine they were off the web site.

CDT's are sellin' like hot cakes!

dflock
01-09-2004, 10:09 AM

no its tHeZeB if you're L33t.

sumone
01-09-2004, 12:46 PM
oh, 7h3Z3B?

dflock
01-09-2004, 01:35 PM
Ha, yeah, that's the ticket.

BoxsterBoy
01-09-2004, 01:48 PM
Everyone talks about CDT, which are OBVIOUSLY REALLY GOOD...

But there's also a deal going on with some wicked speakers...

CADENCE ....

This has been a reference for numerous years... Just very expensive, but so good.

They are blowing off their UltraDrive series 6.5in components with 1in silk tweet (CWM-6KIT) for the low price of...

69$ Shipped... Can you beleive this????

Just my two cents for an alternative to the 61a should they run out of stock...

wags
01-09-2004, 02:57 PM
That's blasphemy. CDT 0\\'nZ J00!!

lol....

sumone
01-09-2004, 10:12 PM
Well at least thezeb stayed true to their word - got a tracking number today, cept the location of origin is statesville, north carolina.

ss3079
01-09-2004, 10:13 PM
Well at least thezeb stayed true to their word - got a tracking number today, cept the location of origin is statesville, north carolina.

I believe that is where they (thezeb) is located, so to speak.

- Steve

sumone
01-15-2004, 11:30 PM
yay. I just got them yesterday. woo; hoo. too bad I won't be able to actually use/install/or at least hear them til' some time since I just ordered the kick panels yesterday [a usps mailed money order...].

Got the amp(usx4065) today. still need a wiring kit. Ordered the sub yesterday also through a mailed money order. still waiting on someone or the man himself to give me LoneRanger's postal address so I can send him a money order too!

well, looks like I won't be installing anything til mid february most likely. I could hook up the amp and speakers, but I won't have anywhere to put the speakers unless they're just laying on the ground by my feet.

Where do the kick panels go? It looks like enough room on the passenger side, but on the driver's side, I have the parking brake and hood release things right in that area, and I can't see how that big 6.5" speaker will fit....I knew I shouldn't of bought them...then again I had no choice...