PDA

View Full Version : 98 explorer 2dr and a Fi BTL

Silentbass
04-01-2010, 07:20 PM
cant decide on proper enclosure for this sub in my 2dr explorer...thinkin 8cubes around 33-34hz...anyone have recommendations?? its gnna be powered by a powerbass xa4k...daily driver...really needing helpamount of sq in per cube...maybe 14-16?? help!!!

lileddie1127
04-01-2010, 08:38 PM
A good friend of mine had his in 7.5 cubes tuned to 34HZ in a 2dr explorer sub up/ port back. Did a 148.2 legal with stock electrical off one Colossus and sounded great for daily. I would do 16" per cube.

Silentbass
04-02-2010, 12:12 AM
A good friend of mine had his in 7.5 cubes tuned to 34HZ in a 2dr explorer sub up/ port back. Did a 148.2 legal with stock electrical off one Colossus and sounded great for daily. I would do 16" per cube.
thnx for the advice...any idea wat freq. that was at??

RAM_Designs
04-02-2010, 12:47 AM
I was thinking ~7.5ft^3 tuned to 34-35hz as well, so that should be good if you have the space.

Silentbass
04-02-2010, 12:49 AM
7.5 tuned to 34 or 35 it is..thnx alot for the advice guys

Anton Miller
04-02-2010, 12:50 AM
well first off your not suppose to use box volume to calculate port area, its kind of a cheap and inefficient way of doing it, your suppose to use the drivers parameters.

so i would do more research before you try to design anything. look into port area and how it effect tuning, maybe port velocity is another word for it.

Silentbass
04-03-2010, 12:20 PM
well first off your not suppose to use box volume to calculate port area, its kind of a cheap and inefficient way of doing it, your suppose to use the drivers parameters.

so i would do more research before you try to design anything. look into port area and how it effect tuning, maybe port velocity is another word for it.

how abt a few tips since the search button on this forum is retarded

RAM_Designs
04-03-2010, 02:32 PM

Driver excursion and tuning frequency are the two biggest factors when having to worry about port noise issues. Tuning lower enables you to use less port area, whereas tuning higher does the opposite and requires more port area to avoid noise. Aeroports, kerfs, and roundovers help as well.

Anton Miller
04-03-2010, 06:49 PM
sorry i dont check this often. see this site:

PORT Size Calculations and Formulas for WOOFER and Subwoofer BOXES (http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31)

fill in the stuff and stay within 10-20% of the port area number. as stated before kerfs and aeros you can use less port area because they dont cause as much turbulence in the port as your standard L port or round port. turbulence is bad (port noise).

found this on SSA:

Here's what TermPak has to say about it:

"When designing a vent, you should try to keep the vent air velocity
value as low as possible. Otherwise, vent turbulence and other
audible artifacts may be heard.

Ideally, you would use a vent with a very large surface area to
keep the vent air velocity low. This would work because vent air
velocity is directly related to the area of the vent being used.
Unfortunately, the larger the vent area, the longer the vent length
needs to be for a given tuning frequency. In reality, large area
vents usually need to be so long that they’re just not practical.
Because of this, many designers are forced to trade-off vent air
velocity for vent length.

Typically, audiophiles recommend keeping the vent air velocity
below 5% of the speed of sound. This is not very realistic in
autosound installations where enclosure volumes are usually
pretty small. At Wayne Harris Enterprises, we have determined
that a vent air velocity as high as 12% is acceptable for most
installations. With an Aeroport, the vent air velocity can be as high
as 20% without running into significant problems."