PDA

View Full Version : Water in oil? Need advice

ThatChevyGuy
03-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Just picked up a 91 chevy shortwide with an LT1 motor. I drove it home, no problems. I pulled the dip stick and at the bottom of the dipstick the oil looks normal, but above that there is a milky mixture all the way up the stick with little beads of water. I was thinking blown headgaskets, but it does not white smoke, nor does the oil in the pan have water in it, and it runs perfect. Advice?

Supergumby5000
03-30-2010, 06:49 PM
milky mixture all the way up the dipstick, as in the majority of it is milky?

ThatChevyGuy
03-30-2010, 06:50 PM
its not mixed, the bottom of the stick is brown and normal, atop the oil there is the milk mixture all the way up the stick... Weird huh?

I dropped the pan today and did an oil change, havent run it yet though, but the oil had no milkiness to it. I've seen oil in a motor with blown headgaskets, and it was like chocolate milk.

Supergumby5000
03-30-2010, 06:53 PM
its not mixed, the bottom of the stick is brown and normal, atop the oil there is the milk mixture all the way up the stick... Weird huh?

this is where i am confused. Up the stick as in up in the piping for the dipstick and everything?

maybe it HAD a blown headgasket, and the owner didnt bother to clean up?

ThatChevyGuy
03-30-2010, 07:20 PM
thats what im thinking, im going to drive it tomorrow and check it again. I also talked to a mechanic who said that i need a breather style oil cap because without condensation builds up on the top of the motor and produces the same effect?

audioatg
03-30-2010, 08:04 PM
Has the vehicle been sitting around for a long time. Water well moister will build up after a good time. Also has is the PCV system looking to you take a look at the PCV valve.

audioatg
03-30-2010, 08:05 PM
thats what im thinking, im going to drive it tomorrow and check it again. I also talked to a mechanic who said that i need a breather style oil cap because without condensation builds up on the top of the motor and produces the same effect?

I seen alot of that before. More with vehicles sitting around alot.

Plottin4success
03-30-2010, 08:27 PM
Do a compression test. Remove 1 plug at a time and there is tool you can buy that screws into the head. Unhook the coil and crank the truck. It wont fire, it will just turn over. Read what the guage says while someone else is cranking the truck over.

ThatChevyGuy
03-30-2010, 10:41 PM
its been sitting for three months without a breather over the TB, so it probably is just build up like ive been told, at least, thats what im hoping for.

audioatg
03-30-2010, 11:00 PM
I think you have just build up o moisture. I have seen it alot with GM vehicles. And just ones that are never run that much..

And if you do a compression tests. Disconnect the injectors. Either by fuse or each one. Or you will soak the cylinders. And If you do might as well do a leak down as well.

Plottin4success
03-31-2010, 12:08 AM
I think you have just build up o moisture. I have seen it alot with GM vehicles. And just ones that are never run that much..

And if you do a compression tests. Disconnect the injectors. Either by fuse or each one. Or you will soak the cylinders. And If you do might as well do a leak down as well.

Forgot about that. I've only done the test on carbed vehicles. LOL

ThatChevyGuy
03-31-2010, 02:12 PM
Good news, went and took it for a drive (well did a 200ft burnout) and everything is normal!

Lonnie
04-02-2010, 03:00 PM
This very reason is one of the reasons why I check fluids before buying a car lol.

But yea...glad to see it aint nothing major

Jacoby
04-23-2010, 08:42 AM
So you should change your car engine oil because in further time they can create lots of problem of your car.

Audi A6 (http://www.easydreamcars.com/cars/Audi-A6-Quattro.jpg)
http://www.easydreamcars.com/cars/Audi-A6-Quattro.jpg (http://www.easydreamcars.com/cars/Audi-A6-Quattro.jpg)