PDA

View Full Version : fiberglass resin**************

grncavi
01-03-2004, 02:48 PM
how long does the resin take to dry before sanding it....it has been put over fleese and i was just wonering how long before moving on.....

P.S the box does not say how long

TPABlazer
01-03-2004, 05:35 PM
~20 minutes with an average mix

LoneRanger
01-04-2004, 11:03 AM
hard to figure it in minutes because it's totally dependant on how much hardener you used. wait a bit, then see if feels hard to the touch.

southprk
01-04-2004, 12:33 PM
Agree with LoneRanger... If it says 18 drops of hardener I usually use 20-22. I work quick, but the humidity here is higher than most I'd imagine. Depending on what you used for your covering, drying times will change too (only on the first coat though).

Factors that change drying time:

Amount of hardener
Temperature
Humidity
Thickness of resin layer
What it's drying onto (fleece, wood, t-shirt, etc)

Of course there are other factors, but I'd say those are the most common. On my first layer into fleece doing it very thick it may take 1 hour before another layer can be applied.. Afterwards maybe 1.5-2 .... again if you use fiberglass cloth it shortens the drying time some.

On the back of my speaker rings I put some to reinforce them, so it was maybe .5" of standing resin, took a LONG time to dry - 6 to 7 hours and I used a ton of hardener.

ramos
01-05-2004, 11:11 AM
hard to figure it in minutes because it's totally dependant on how much hardener you used. wait a bit, then see if feels hard to the touch.

Yep what he said . Another way to tell is It will also no longer be tacky once it dries. :)

TPABlazer
01-05-2004, 02:39 PM
Agree with LoneRanger... If it says 18 drops of hardener I usually use 20-22.

I havent counted drops in forever... picke dup an mekp dispenser and never looked back

southprk
01-05-2004, 04:43 PM
sounds like a good idea, the dispenser I mean

TPABlazer
01-06-2004, 05:02 AM
sounds like a good idea, the dispenser I mean

i picked mine up from select products last tiem I was in miami, along with a gallon of mekp. filled it up, use 2 percent of the mix, and works lie a charm.