PDA

View Full Version : False Floor/Recessed Amp Rack

odabbs
03-28-2010, 09:04 PM
I'm planning to build a false floor and an amp rack that will be recessed in the floor so that the plexi-glass over it will sit flush with the false floor. I'm pretty new to this so I am looking to any tips or advice anyone could give me on this build. Thanks :)

lil azn 06
03-30-2010, 08:23 AM
A lot of the amps I have seen covered underneath pexi glass, they over heat due to no fan ventilation so keep that in mind when doing the false floor.

This is an amp rack/ cross over rack i did on a Lexus recently. It was the first "shown" amp rack i did and for me, it was pain in the *** with the measurements. Using cardboard to measure how the false floor would sit in the trunk, raising the trunk floor, going back and forth to trim off a little extra off pieces to make them sit flush. The amp sits on top of a polished aluminum bar, with a 120mm fan exhausting hot air underneath it, and 3 92mm fans blowing air on the amp (not viewable at the angle i took the picture). The amp appears to be floating when looking at it from any angle unless you get down low enough to see it sitting on top of the aluminum.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2728/4443051000_a503b9287d.jpg

fasfocus00
03-30-2010, 08:26 AM
ventilation is the biggest factor of why you don't see too many ppl doing this. keep in mind you'll need atleast 1.5" of clearance from the top of you amp to the plexi.

lil azn 06
03-30-2010, 08:34 AM
Yeah, but from i have seen in person, no one has ventilation in enclosed amp racks. I mean, if an amp overheats at times just sitting on top of your subwoofer box you would think people would figure that they would get super hot in a enclosed box. But nope.

Bumpin' Goalie
03-30-2010, 12:09 PM
I find the easiest way to hide amps is just using carpeted mdf. My rule of thumb is one fan blowing cool air in, one fan pulling the hot air out, per amp.

Another way is having a false floor that has an open (non visible) side where air is free to move in/out with a fan blowing across the tops of the amps to push it out of the opening.

odabbs
03-30-2010, 04:53 PM
Alright so the general consensus so far is that ventilation is key in this. I'll definitely probably keep the side facing the trunk open or at least have slots in it and will wire up a couple fans to blow on the amp and to vent the air out of the space. Thanks for all the responses and I don't actually think I'm going to have to build a false floor because the civic already has a "false floor" made of wood that covers the spare tire under the trunk, so I should be able to cut out a space in that to attach the amp rack. Thanks for your input and I'll try to post some pics of it once I get started with it.

Bumpin' Goalie
03-30-2010, 04:56 PM
Sounds doable. goodluck.

nateberrier
03-30-2010, 05:50 PM
You might use 120mm PC fans, they are super cheap, come with LEDs and run on 12v systems

odabbs
03-30-2010, 10:47 PM
Alright I'll check into that. I was planning on running some blue LED's anyways in the rack so some bonus LED's on the fans wouldn't hurt :)