PDA

View Full Version : working with aluminum

d4vew557
03-28-2010, 04:28 PM
I am planning on putting aluminium surrounds around the sub the perspex window that will display the amps. the problem is i'll have to make them and it's something i have never worked with before.

Looking around a few sites it seems the way to go is cutting the shapes out with a router, does this need special bits or just normal router bits

How do people achieve such a mirror finish

Any tips working with alu would be a big help

RJesus
03-28-2010, 05:18 PM
why aluminum? I'd go with black dyed resin for that mirror black piano finish.

d4vew557
03-28-2010, 05:25 PM
intresting but i know even less about black dyed resin than alu.

RJesus
03-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Its just fiberglass resin mixed with dye, google search fiberglass resin dye.

You just mix the dye and hardner into the resin, apply the resin, wait for it to partially dry, then apply another layer. The more layers of resin, the blacker/deeper the color will be. Find yourself a clear resign for the best results.

Don't forget to use the 'thanks' button at the bottom left of posts if they helped you :)

pr-festiva
03-28-2010, 05:58 PM
how thick of aluminium are you useing?

d4vew557
03-28-2010, 06:28 PM
i was planning on using 3mm

CrysisMaker
04-01-2010, 11:33 AM
This is very interesting. Maybe the use of both the alum and the resin somehow would be cool I think. Kinda gave me an idea for my next box I make for the next pair of subs I get. Otherwise this will be a cool build. Keep us posted on the project!

lil azn 06
04-01-2010, 08:16 PM
I recently cut holes in my aluminum computer case. using a router. Make sure you wear gloves, eye protection, something with long sleeves, and a face mask. It's not as dirty as cutting MDF, and is easier to clean, but it's basically just shrapnel shooting all over the place. Be sure to clean your work place well or you'll puncture a car tire.