PDA

View Full Version : Wood?...1/4 inch mdf cedar used for closets?

Lonnie
03-23-2010, 05:34 PM
Well yea I found 7' x 8' sheets of cedar at lowes that they say is MDF boards. They are a 1/4 inch thick and are used for closet lining and are $29 a board.

Is this the right wood? Its supposed to be 2/4 inch right? So can I just make the box and double up on the wood by gluing another sheet on each sheet? Basically a box within a box. Do I use the same wood/double up concept for the inner areas? Like where the port walls are or w.e their normally called.

Im needing a new box...currently have a REALLY old pre-fab and it is on its last legs. Its untelling how many leaks it has in it...

Im sure their are probably an answer to each of my questions on these forums. Really wouldnt know what to search it as though...

TMali
03-23-2010, 05:36 PM
no, too thin for most subs, just make a box out of 3/4

Lonnie
03-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Biggest lowes had that is MDF is 1/4 inch =\

Only place I can think of that might sell the wood.

BumpinKota
03-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Usually sheets come in 4'x8' sheets. And i have never ever heard of cedar mdf.. If you could take a pic of it that would be much easier to tell. But 1/4 inch isnt going to really work. You need at least 1/2 inch and you could double that up. Or just 1 single layer of 3/4 inch. I would just go with the 3/4 it would be cheaper than doing 2 layers of half inch. Hope depot def has 3/4 its about 27$ a sheet here in ohio

branham1127
03-23-2010, 05:40 PM
Usually sheets come in 4'x8' sheets. And i have never ever heard of cedar mdf.. If you could take a pic of it that would be much easier to tell. But 1/4 inch isnt going to really work. You need at least 1/2 inch and you could double that up. Or just 1 single layer of 3/4 inch. I would just go with the 3/4 it would be cheaper than doing 2 layers of half inch. Hope depot def has 3/4 its about 27$ a sheet here in ohio

Not too mention simpler due to half the cuts :).. $33 a sheet here

Lonnie
03-23-2010, 05:43 PM

Closest home depot is like 80 miles away -.-

Used to have one, but lowes ran em outta business.

TMali
03-23-2010, 05:45 PM

menards?

TMali
03-23-2010, 05:46 PM
i have a lowes, home depo and menards all within 5 miles of here

Johnny Law.Lulz
03-23-2010, 06:54 PM
There is no such thing as Cedar MDF that i know of. You are looking at the wrong stuff. MDF is MDF, there is no different types. You need atleast 3/4" for a box.

Toone
03-23-2010, 07:00 PM
ask someone in the lumber department for "Three Quarter inch MDF" and im sure theyll be glad to point you in the right direction

ahole-ic
03-23-2010, 07:03 PM
Well yea I found 7' x 8' sheets of cedar at lowes that they say is MDF boards. They are a 1/4 inch thick and are used for closet lining and are $29 a board.

Is this the right wood? Its supposed to be 2/4 inch right? So can I just make the box and double up on the wood by gluing another sheet on each sheet? Basically a box within a box. Do I use the same wood/double up concept for the inner areas? Like where the port walls are or w.e their normally called.

Im needing a new box...currently have a REALLY old pre-fab and it is on its last legs. Its untelling how many leaks it has in it...

Im sure their are probably an answer to each of my questions on these forums. Really wouldnt know what to search it as though...

Lol at "2/4". Lowest terms fail. There is no such thing as 2/4.

Toone
03-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Lol at "2/4". Lowest terms fail. There is no such thing as 2/4.
You sir are an idiot he just didnt reduce to 1/2. 2/4 is still 1/2.

BumpinKota
03-23-2010, 07:11 PM

I think i learned simplifying fractions in 3rd grade?

ahole-ic
03-23-2010, 07:33 PM

You sir are an idiot for calling me one and then proving my point. 2/4 is indeed 1/2 which is why 2/4 doesn't exist.... *******

RAM_Designs
03-23-2010, 07:48 PM
You sir are an idiot for calling me one and then proving my point. 2/4 is indeed 1/2 which is why 2/4 doesn't exist.... *******

Hey ****-****, how does 2/4 "not exist"? Does 4/8 "not exist" either?...how about 1mil/2mil?

Lesson: it's still a number, just not reduced completely.

ahole-ic
03-23-2010, 07:50 PM
Hey ****-****, how does 2/4 "not exist"? Does 4/8 "not exist" either?...how about 1mil/2mil?

Lesson: it's still a number, just not reduced completely.
I'm sorry. You're right smart guy. Could you please find me your 16/32 socket so I can unscrew your head from your ***? You come into threads thinking you're some kind of authority. You're not, you just have a lot of posts. I like your avatar though.... 2 *******.

hatedonmostly
03-23-2010, 07:52 PM
too much fail itt

hatedonmostly
03-23-2010, 07:53 PM

But this is the biggest one.

Go to Lowe's then? For ****'s sake, people...

RAM_Designs
03-23-2010, 07:54 PM
I'm sorry. You're right smart guy. Could you please find me your 16/32 socket so I can unscrew your head from your ***? You come into threads thinking you're some kind of authority. You're not, you just have a lot of posts. I like your avatar though.... 2 *******.

Fractions are fractions; they all exist. 10/80, 45/23, 213048723/129488754554...they're all numbers. 10/80 and 1/8 are the same value, just different ways of writing it. Just because Craftsman labels their sockets with 1/8 doesn't mean that 10/80 isn't a number...guess what? They both equal .125.

Go find some noob to try and bully around, it won't work here. :fyi:

Jaredturp
03-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Dont do it!

mazdakid
03-23-2010, 08:13 PM
But this is the biggest one.

Go to Lowe's then? For ****'s sake, people...

He already went to lowes *******

ahole-ic
03-23-2010, 08:28 PM
Fractions are fractions; they all exist. 10/80, 45/23, 213048723/129488754554...they're all numbers. 10/80 and 1/8 are the same value, just different ways of writing it. Just because Craftsman labels their sockets with 1/8 doesn't mean that 10/80 isn't a number...guess what? They both equal .125.

Go find some noob to try and bully around, it won't work here. :fyi:

Take your own advice. There is a reason they teach lowest terms in school. It's because there are infinite higher terms that all reduce down to these lower terms. lonnie obviously did not know how to reduce to lowest terms. I pointed it out and said that 2/4" wood doesn't exist. There is a standard for measure in fractions. It's called lowest terms. So... you are an idiot because you're arguing the wrong thing. You picked the fight with me and you're just wrong. For once just shut your mouth.

RAM_Designs
03-23-2010, 08:38 PM
There is a reason they teach lowest terms in school. It's because there are infinite higher terms that all reduce down to these lower terms.
Obviously, no one is saying that there isn't an infinite amount of terms that equal 1/2.

lonnie obviously did not know how to reduce to lowest terms. I pointed it out and said that 2/4" wood doesn't exist.
So it's your job to come in and make fun of him for saying 2/4", even though it's still equivalent to 1/2"?

There is a standard for measure in fractions. It's called lowest terms.
Yes, when speaking in fractions we generally use them in the most reduced form. That, however, is not to say that the other options "don't exist," as you're trying to say.

So... you are an idiot because you're arguing the wrong thing. You picked the fight with me and you're just wrong. For once just shut your mouth.
I'm arguing with you because you came into this thread trying to be Billy ****** and make fun of the OP, all while saying something as brainless as "2/4 doesn't exist." Your argument has no foundation, and no reason. 1/2=2/4=4/8=5/10. Are you trying to tell me that 5/10 isn't a number? Please don't be that stupid.

ahole-ic
03-23-2010, 08:46 PM
Obviously, no one is saying that there isn't an infinite amount of terms that equal 1/2.

So it's your job to come in and make fun of him for saying 2/4", even though it's still equivalent to 1/2"?
It's your job to be a jack-off and try to prove me wrong on something that I'm not wrong on?

Yes, when speaking in fractions we generally use them in the most reduced form. That, however, is not to say that the other options "don't exist," as you're trying to say.
Yes it is. Those terms are not used anywhere such as with wood, or ANYTHING else that uses fractions, thus the basis for my statements. Again, you're arguing your interpretation of what I said... not what I said.

I'm arguing with you because you came into this thread trying to be Billy ****** and make fun of the OP, all while saying something as brainless as "2/4 doesn't exist." Your argument has no foundation, and no reason. 1/2=2/4=4/8=5/10. Are you trying to tell me that 5/10 isn't a number? Please don't be that stupid.
How are you NOT being billy bad ***? This is what you do. You always try to bully people because you think you're better than everyone else. I crack a joke on someone for not knowing their fractions and all of a sudden you want to lecture me on why that is wrong and try to focus on your misinterpretation of what I said. That certainly makes you > me doesn't it.

RAM_Designs
03-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Blah blah blah.

Unless you explained how 2/4" "does not exist," don't bother. You've stated many times that it doesn't exist, what am I misinterpreting?

ahole-ic
03-23-2010, 09:14 PM
Blah blah blah.

Unless you explained how 2/4" "does not exist," don't bother. You've stated many times that it doesn't exist, what am I misinterpreting?

Find some wood labelled 2/4". Oh... you can't. Consider it explained.... again.

RAM_Designs
03-23-2010, 09:15 PM
Find some wood labelled 2/4". Oh... you can't. Consider it explained.... again.

Is that the best illogical example that you can use? Sad.

It seems as though there is no hope for you.

ahole-ic
03-23-2010, 09:17 PM
Is that the best illogical example that you can use? Sad.

It seems as though there is no hope for you.

I figured you'd say that as I proved my point and you're proven to be the troll that you are.

RAM_Designs
03-23-2010, 09:20 PM
I figured you'd say that as I proved my point and you're proven to be the troll that you are.

It's not my fault that you can't see the blatantly obvious flaw in your example. Sorry. The more you say that 2/4 doesn't exist doesn't make it any more true, trust me.

ahole-ic
03-23-2010, 09:23 PM
It's not my fault that you can't see the blatantly obvious flaw in your example. Sorry. The more you say that 2/4 doesn't exist doesn't make it any more true, trust me.
LOL! Grasping at straws I see. There is no flaw in my logic. I said 2/4 doesn't exist. I asked you to find some and you can't. You're proven wrong and your ego is hurt. Awwww. poor troll got beat at his own game.

RAM_Designs
03-23-2010, 09:28 PM
LOL! Grasping at straws I see. There is no flaw in my logic. I said 2/4 doesn't exist. I asked you to find some and you can't. You're proven wrong and your ego is hurt. Awwww. poor troll got beat at his own game.

If 2/4 "doesn't exist," as you like to say, I should have no idea what you're talking about. When in reality, I, as well as anyone else, knows that 2/4 is 1/2 is .5. It's all the same. Just because we choose to use the simplest form doesn't mean the others don't exist. It's gotten to the point where I'm obviously not going to break through your super online ego, and you're going to sit there and play retard the whole night, so I just decide to make fun of you. Run along now.

And I don't troll. The fact that you think you're right, and that I'm trolling, just makes this pwnage even more wonderful. I'll sleep good tonight. Thanks brAHHH.

ahole-ic
03-23-2010, 09:36 PM
If 2/4 "doesn't exist," as you like to say, I should have no idea what you're talking about. When in reality, I, as well as anyone else, knows that 2/4 is 1/2 is .5. It's all the same. Just because we choose to use the simplest form doesn't mean the others don't exist. It's gotten to the point where I'm obviously not going to break through your super online ego, and you're going to sit there and play retard the whole night, so I just decide to make fun of you. Run along now.

And I don't troll. The fact that you think you're right, and that I'm trolling, just makes this pwnage even more wonderful. I'll sleep good tonight. Thanks brAHHH.

The tactic of all owned trolls. Declare victory, lie about the discussion, and try to leave with your head held high.

RAM_Designs
03-23-2010, 09:39 PM
The tactic of all owned trolls. Declare victory, lie about the discussion, and try to leave with your head held high.

You're delusional. And avoiding the pwnage I laid down. This is getting old. Try and spice it up, will ya?

hatedonmostly
03-23-2010, 09:40 PM

Dude you lost. Thread over.

ahole-ic
03-23-2010, 10:24 PM
Dude you lost. Thread over.

LOL. Then explain how and then close the thread wanna be mod.

RAM_Designs
03-24-2010, 12:12 AM
LOL. Then explain how and then close the thread wanna be mod.

Lord l4yfr4me has spoken, run back to your cave.

ahole-ic
03-24-2010, 12:16 AM
You're both trolls. ryan lost and can't admit it. Nobody cares what the other troll said either. fyl

RAM_Designs
03-24-2010, 12:18 AM
You're both trolls. ryan lost and can't admit it. Nobody cares what the other troll said either. fyl

An outside source says you got pwnt. A guy that I wasn't getting along with recently, at that. You got owned man, just **** it up and hope for better tomorrow.

Or just keep on embarrassing yourself, the choice is yours.

hatedonmostly
03-24-2010, 12:21 AM

lulz

Lonnie
03-24-2010, 12:34 AM

Figured ill just quote the person that quoted the other people to save me some trouble quoting lol

NE WAYS Who cares...im actually taking college pre-trig next semester. WELL its called something else...but thats basically what it is. Anyways yea I know how to reduce...I just simply viewed it as it being a 1/4 of a inch...and doubling up would be 2/4...everyone knew what I was talking about...dont really give a rats ***.

Anyways didnt think about it until I asked a friend how he got the wood for his box. He said he got the wood from 84 Lumber. So yea problem solved. BUT then again I dont think he used 6/8" wood (lol).

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc35/niffgiffler/misc/successful-troll-is-successful.jpg

But yea anyways ty for yalls input. I think the dude just pointed me out to particle board. Thats what my closet is made of lmao. WELL thats what my entire home is made of...trailers ftw

Johnny Law.Lulz
03-24-2010, 12:39 AM
I kinda go with BCF on his arguement, while immature on both ends from him and ryan, you will never see wood, sockets or any of the sort labeled as 2/4", end of story.

OP Forget everything you have seen. You need 3/4" MDF, only. Thats all it is. If its 1/2", dont buy it, if its not MDF, dont buy it.

hatedonmostly
03-24-2010, 12:42 AM
I kinda go with BCF on his arguement, while immature on both ends from him and ryan, you will never see wood, sockets or any of the sort labeled as 2/4", end of story.

OP Forget everything you have seen. You need 3/4" MDF, only. Thats all it is. If its 1/2", dont buy it, if its not MDF, dont buy it.

Birch :fyi:

RAM_Designs
03-24-2010, 12:44 AM

That's not the argument. I know things aren't labeled 2/4", that's common sense. I'm arguing him saying that 2/4 isn't even a number, it doesn't even exist...which is ludicrous, at best.

Johnny Law.Lulz
03-24-2010, 12:45 AM
Birch :fyi:

He cant even get MDF at the moment. Lets not complicate things with Birch.

Johnny Law.Lulz
03-24-2010, 12:46 AM
That's not the argument. I know things aren't labeled 2/4", that's common sense. I'm arguing him saying that 2/4 isn't even a number, it doesn't even exist...which is ludicrous, at best.

Well that is true. It is a number. I mustve missed him saying its nota number. But you girls have been bickering for a few pages so its not hard to miss stuff lulz.

RAM_Designs
03-24-2010, 12:56 AM
Well that is true. It is a number. I mustve missed him saying its nota number. But you girls have been bickering for a few pages so its not hard to miss stuff lulz.

It was fun seeing him try to explain how 2/4 doesn't exist, which I guess is hard to do since all he could say is that I won't be able to find 2/4" wood, or hand him an 8/10 socket. Both irrelevant.

Lonnie
03-24-2010, 12:58 AM
He cant even get MDF at the moment. Lets not complicate things with Birch.

Agreed lmao

Im off to bed now...keep the trolling and baiting and stuff to a minimum now ladies.

1/2 2/4 4/8 1,000,000/2,000,000 or w.e the number is...everyone knows its 1/2 so it doesnt matter. Ill go by 84 Lumber tomorrow and see if they got 3/4 MDF and start coming up with how much wood ill need and how much it will run me.

Im guessing some calk(got a gun already), wood glue, and some good drywall screws will be needed...WELL those screws with a large flat head on it. I Think their called drywall screws...

RAM_Designs
03-24-2010, 01:03 AM
Use Titebond and coarse thread drywall screws ~1.5" long.