PDA

View Full Version : corvette sub enclosure

fastcar97
03-21-2010, 12:33 AM
Car is a 99 C5 corvette. Anyone build an enclosure in the storage hole so it's invisible under the carpeted covers? Would it be okay to seal a piece of MDF to the metal and use that as the enclosure? Just so I'm clear, 5 out of 6 sides would be metal and the speaker mounted to the 6th being the MDF. The box would be about 1.5 cf doing this. Also thinking of this design in a 97 firebird.

FIMPALASS
03-21-2010, 12:59 AM
So you want to put a baffle in and use the storage area as the enclosure?

fastcar97
03-21-2010, 02:42 AM
Yes I guess a baffle is the way to say it. Do I need to cover the metal with anything like a fiberglass layer or 2 or dynamat? I guess the only difference between metal and wood is the resonance frequencies right? I'm basically trying to use the car as the majority of the enclosure. It's a small space.

FIMPALASS
03-21-2010, 02:54 AM
Yes I would use some type of sound deading. And if you do you that way seal it as good as you can. They actually make subs just for set ups like that Infinite baffle suor free air. here is one there are alot more I am sure these are the only one I remember off the top of my head.https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=154ba5c238441d3/shopdata/0050_Speakers/0050_IB3/product_overview.shopscript

fastcar97
03-21-2010, 03:18 AM
I haven't heard infinite baffle subwoofer in a long time. I'm using the trunk as an enclosure but the enclosure will never open. It's basically a metal bucket I'm puting a sealed MDF cover on with a sub attached. But you answered the question. I'll use some sound deadening on the inside and silicone it shut. Should be about 1.5 cu. ft. I like the Orion HCCA 10.4.