PDA

View Full Version : Loudness setting on Alpine 9884

RuAk
03-13-2010, 08:17 PM
I have 2 12" subwoofers, 1500.1 amp, bass knob, an alpine 9884.

On my head unit there is an option where i can put Loudness on/off.

I have my head unit bass set to -2, my bass knob half way, and bass boost on my amp set 3/4 of the way.

Im wondering if i can safely play my music with the loudness on because it makes my subs hit harder.

I have the big 3 upgrade and a kinetik hc2400 battery for my electrical on an 1987 chevy caprice.

Wattser93
03-13-2010, 10:10 PM
There's no golden rule, make sure it doesn't clip or distort and you're fine.
When you say bass boost do you mean gain or bass boost because they're completely different things. Bass knob? You mean gain knob?
Also, post your equipment, we need to know what amp/subs you're running, model numbers preferably since we need to know the specs on them, you're info right now doesn't help us much. This would help us since your current set up sounds like a mess of settings that are fighting each other. Bass boost shouldn't be used on the amp if the bass is turned down on the HU. We need more info please.

bubbagumper6
03-13-2010, 10:13 PM
bass boost and loud should both be left at 0/off. They may make it sound louder but all they do is distort what the original music should sound like by boosting certain frequencies. Besides, if you set your gains properly then it won't be any louder to use the bass boost (without clipping of course)

RuAk
03-14-2010, 12:01 AM
There's no golden rule, make sure it doesn't clip or distort and you're fine.
When you say bass boost do you mean gain or bass boost because they're completely different things. Bass knob? You mean gain knob?
Also, post your equipment, we need to know what amp/subs you're running, model numbers preferably since we need to know the specs on them, you're info right now doesn't help us much. This would help us since your current set up sounds like a mess of settings that are fighting each other. Bass boost shouldn't be used on the amp if the bass is turned down on the HU. We need more info please.

Here is the exact amp im running. Kicker 10zx1500.1
Kicker 10ZX1500.1 (10zx15001) - Mono Subwoofer Amps - Sonic Electronix (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_21958_Kicker+ZX1500.1+-10ZX1500.1-.html)

My subs are kicker L7s i have 2 12s in a custom '7th order bandpass' box (it's 7th order not 6). The size of my box is huge, i don't know exact size but i have a 1987 Chevy Caprice and the trunk to these cars are huge and my box takes up 95% percent of my trunk.

For the bass boost question, on my amp there are 3 settings, first is 'x frequency' or something like that, the second is 'Gain' and the third is 'bass boost'.

The gain is set to a line before being half way and the bass boost is set to 14db (it goes up to 18db)

For the bass knob i am talking about, you can see it in the pictures in the link i posted up for my amp. It' a knob bolted right under my steering wheel and that is set to halfway.

My head unit regular bass setting is set to -2. The sub level on head unit is set to 15 out of 15, there is a setting for all out general loudness on my head unit and i mainly leave that off but would like it to be on since my bass sounds better to me but my ear for audiophile is inexperienced. i'd like to either leave that on and bass boost on amp down or have ludness setting off and turn up my bass boost on my amp.

With these settings, i just have to turn my volume level on my head unit to 18 out of 35 and it's pretty **** loud with clean boomy bass.

Oh yea, my hpf on my head unit was set to off. should i go 80, 120 or 160. There's only those 3.

Well i tried to be specific as possbile right now. Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Blue Fury
03-14-2010, 12:02 AM
iirc, each loudness level is a +6 db increase, so pretty much you'd have to turn down the inputs 6db for each level of loudness you increase it if you don't want to clip. Pretty useless if you're concerned about your amps.

bubbagumper6
03-14-2010, 12:09 AM
Here is the exact amp im running. Kicker 10zx1500.1
Kicker 10ZX1500.1 (10zx15001) - Mono Subwoofer Amps - Sonic Electronix (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_21958_Kicker+ZX1500.1+-10ZX1500.1-.html)

My subs are kicker L7s i have 2 12s in a custom '7th order bandpass' box (it's 7th order not 6). The size of my box is huge, i don't know exact size but i have a 1987 Chevy Caprice and the trunk to these cars are huge and my box takes up 95% percent of my trunk.

For the bass boost question, on my amp there are 3 settings, first is 'x frequency' or something like that, the second is 'Gain' and the third is 'bass boost'.

The gain is set to a line before being half way and the bass boost is set to 14db (it goes up to 18db)

For the bass knob i am talking about, you can see it in the pictures in the link i posted up for my amp. It' a knob bolted right under my steering wheel and that is set to halfway.

My head unit regular bass setting is set to -2. The sub level on head unit is set to 15 out of 15, there is a setting for all out general loudness on my head unit and i mainly leave that off but would like it to be on since my bass sounds better to me but my ear for audiophile is inexperienced. i'd like to either leave that on and bass boost on amp down or have ludness setting off and turn up my bass boost on my amp.

With these settings, i just have to turn my volume level on my head unit to 18 out of 35 and it's pretty **** loud with clean boomy bass.

Oh yea, my hpf on my head unit was set to off. should i go 80, 120 or 160. There's only those 3.

Well i tried to be specific as possbile right now. Thanks for the replies so far guys.

SET YOUR GAINS PROPERLY! You can't just set it wherever you want then expect us to know if your clipping or not. Get a DMM and set it the right way. Or do the noob thing and crank that bass knob, but we'll see you again in a month asking why your subs blew.

quins90lac
03-14-2010, 03:18 AM
loudness is a no no . if you cant get loud with out your set up *****