PDA

View Full Version : Porting Hz general question

nickexpy
03-10-2010, 10:24 PM
Currently my box is ported for 35hz. I see people porting down to 20 or lower and, if I remember correctly, when Sundownz was testing the SA-8, his box was ported to like 53 or 54 hz. Is there a general rule of thumb, as in if you want lows 30 and below, daily 30-35, and for SPL comps., whatever you decide to setup, be it 40, 50, 54, etc? Thx,

ascitiesburn69
03-10-2010, 10:34 PM
For daily 30-35 is usually the norm. Spl however depends on the car. The reason jacob tuned so high was bc he was running it in a crx which peak pretty high. Dont tune to 20 your box would start to roll off much earlier than you would want it to and your port would have to be huge length wise to get desired tuning and huge width wise not to get port noise.

nickexpy
03-10-2010, 10:46 PM
I am currently shopping another single sub setup, probably a 15 or 18 this time, but my plan is still to stay in the 30-35 range or do sealed, just depending. I appreciate the response, I saw the video from jacob and was just curious. After I rewatched the youtube video, he does make a reference to his jeep tuning, which I assume is pertaining to what you were talking about with vehicle peak. Thx,

ascitiesburn69
03-11-2010, 02:13 AM
No problem. And i would say go with a ported box almost all the time but thats just my preference. And yea basically every vehicle has a frequency at which it peaks and normally you would tune around 5ish hz below this number in order to make your box peak with your vehicle peak. If you need any help deciding which sub to pick or you need a box design let me or someone on here know most are happy to help.