PDA

View Full Version : New Box for L5's

Cmmuse
03-10-2010, 03:48 PM
So right now I have 2 12" L5's in a Kicker Box. I've heard that if I build a new, custom box then It could be a little louder. I've heard that the subs facing up and the ports facing towards the back would be the best bet. Right now I have the subs facing the back and the port to the side. I've never built a box before so If I could get some help it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

p.s - my box right now is 16-3/8"TD x 19-9/16"BD x 32-3/8"W x 16"H and its in the back of a Jeep Commander, so it fits easily and I could use more space if needed.

S.P.L.
03-12-2010, 01:20 AM
Your right, an enclosure is just as important as the sub. Kicker L5 and L7 subs are pretty wicked but if you don't have the right enclosure then your probably loosing out on some sound quality. There are some really great pre fab enclosures out there. Most people try to build their own but don't realize that a lot goes into building an enclosure properly. A high quality enclosure should have full dado's and mitered edges. The vents should be divided and separate chamber for a dual box. However if you are going to build your own enclosure I would recommend trying to replicate something similar to the image below http://74.53.76.202/~atrendus/images/products/atrend/TL-12DVK.html This particular enclosure is designed specifically for L5/L7 subs and its coated with bedliner. The coating actually helps strengthen the box and reduce bending and flexing.

Here is the link for the image is Untitled Document (http://74.53.76.202/~atrendus/images/products/atrend/TL-12DVK.html)

psych0ticnemes1
03-12-2010, 11:42 AM
A quality box does not need to have dados, rabbets or miters. A quality box can be glued and clamped, glued and screwed, glued and nailed, whatever. The quality part is in the design and its accuracy.

RAM_Designs
03-12-2010, 04:31 PM
A quality box does not need to have dados, rabbets or miters. A quality box can be glued and clamped, glued and screwed, glued and nailed, whatever. The quality part is in the design and its accuracy.

This.

Shoot for around 5ft^3 for and tuned to 33-35hz, with 70-80in^2 of port area.

DonH
03-12-2010, 08:52 PM
from my experience with theese subs they do not like the lower 30's the upper 38-39 is where it is at for those in about 2.25ft^3 per sub

RAM_Designs
03-12-2010, 09:15 PM
from my experience with theese subs they do not like the lower 30's the upper 38-39 is where it is at for those in about 2.25ft^3 per sub

Weird, I liked them better tuned low...personal preference, I guess. Maybe it was the vehicle as well.

DonH
03-12-2010, 09:22 PM
could be. ive done about 6 boxes for diff. cars. one suv. the suv liked the lower tuning. the trunk cars loved the higher tuning. aero's ftw lol

S.P.L.
03-16-2010, 05:16 AM

You are absolutely right the design of an enclosure factors heavily in determining the quality of a finished product. You are also correct when you say a box can be glued and clamped or screwed and nailed; these are the materials that hold a box together every enclosure needs them (glue being the most vital material). What you are failing to recognize is that dados, rabbets, and miters are part of the design. They are not necessary to build enclosure as you point out in your comment, however they do improve the performance and quality of an enclosure. For example dados help reinforce side panels and reduce bending and flexing. Mitered edges reduces air leaks etc... You see dados rabbets and mitered edges are actually all part of a well designed enclosure. The design of a product incorporates various factors, construction being one of them.