PDA

View Full Version : Enclosure for PG Cyclone :)

bassman3
03-09-2010, 03:01 AM
Here is another small build. Except this time its for a local custom for his PG Cyclone for a HT set-up :-) I cannot wait to here this thing. I have only heard positive things about the cyclone and hear that is dominates the lower teens (10-13hz) will ease without breaking a sweat. But also kill the highs as well. For those who don't know much about the cyclone, take a look here.

Linear Motor drive speakers (http://www.soundimage.dk/Different-col/LinearMotor.htm)

scroll down a bit ^^^

The cyclone has no cone... and uses the rotational force of the fan-like magnet to drive the radiator. It also has no voice coils, spiders or surrounds and is able to convert very low frequencies into some an acoustical output. It's quite scientific and it goes into details.

Anyway, Custom wanted it to be "murdered out" with glassy black spray paint. I think he should be pleased :-) Needs another coat and then the clear coat. Sorry for the bad pic of the finish in the garage, there was horrible lighting.

Box is 2.5 cubes sealed.

http://i46.tinypic.com/9gcx8o.jpg

Primed and ready for paint.
http://i50.tinypic.com/205xtfb.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/29bxzrd.jpg

Cannot wait to hear it. :cool:

supermaxx123
03-09-2010, 03:16 AM
i'm soon to try some gloss black painting myself. box looks nice.

bassman3
03-09-2010, 03:20 AM
Thanks. Just make sure you use a couple coats of primer, sand with 320 grit lightly then go at it with the gloss paint :)

supermaxx123
03-09-2010, 03:28 AM
Thanks. Just make sure you use a couple coats of primer, sand with 320 grit lightly then go at it with the gloss paint :)

so the steps are, prime x3, paint x2, sand?, clear, sand?
do you sand after the clear is applied?

bassman3
03-09-2010, 03:33 AM
nope. I did, Prime, sand, paint, clear. No sanding after the clear coat is on.

supermaxx123
03-09-2010, 03:34 AM
o ok, thanks!

bassman3
03-09-2010, 02:10 PM
No problem.

72 chevy van
03-09-2010, 06:06 PM
looks real nice got any more pics of it

bassman3
03-09-2010, 06:10 PM
Yeah, I am waiting on the clear coats to dry. I got to apply one more clear.

jmanpc
03-09-2010, 06:14 PM
I would kill to own a Cyclone. It's one of my favorite speakers because there's nothing else out there like it. Can't wait to hear what you think!

hazardous0388
03-09-2010, 08:07 PM
wow i havn't seen this speaker floatin around for a while.

bassman3
03-09-2010, 11:18 PM
I know man. I will for sure get some vid's up for you guys

Suicide Bobb
03-31-2010, 12:15 AM
I am so honored that you posted my build log on here! :)

I would highly suggest services from this guy to anyone, as his prices are great, and the service is even better.

The second I saw this cyclone on Craiglist, I knew it would be mine. I did some quick research, and an hour and $175 later, it was mine :D It was in the box in mint condition. The only issue was the typical loose magnet dust. I fixed this a couple weeks ago, wasn't too hard, but I was extremely nervous given the condition it was otherwise in.

The box looks amazing, the pictures don't do it justice. The rounded sides corners are the best part imho.

The sad thing is that I don't have an amp to hook it up to right now :( However, I just stumbled on some Birthday money, which I am going to use to buy a M&K plate amp off craigslist for $175 shipped. It does 250 watts RMS @ 8ohms, which should do this sub plenty justice. It achieves full excursion at only 150 watts RMS, but can handle 300.

I normally would never spend this kind of money on anything because I am always buying and selling, but I am dead set on this being the last woofer I will ever buy for my home theater system, so I wanted it to look and sound the best it could for my small budget.

What do you guys think?

-Dylan

Suicide Bobb
03-31-2010, 12:16 AM
Excuse the lack of flash, I will go take some better pictures.

-Dylan

Suicide Bobb
03-31-2010, 12:47 AM
Here are pics of it WITH flash. Also a few showing it where I am placing it.

-Dylan

Louisiana_CRX
03-31-2010, 12:52 AM
those are nice subs...I'd love to find a nice one for a reasonable price...

LDW3RD
04-02-2010, 04:10 PM
very nice.

robertark
04-23-2010, 07:44 PM
Just me, or do these look like fans?

JL Audio
04-23-2010, 07:50 PM
i'll take that RE off your hands.

Suicide Bobb
04-23-2010, 07:56 PM
i'll take that RE off your hands.

???

misfit138
04-23-2010, 07:56 PM
Just me, or do these look like fans?

It's just you.

JL Audio
04-23-2010, 07:57 PM
???

umm

http://caraudio.com/forum/attachments/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/26517147d1270008904-enclosure-pg-cyclone-jpg

I was talking to whomever owned the Re sub......

Haunz
04-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Looks like you are ready to add some soap & water and do your laundry... :confused:

II am going to use to buy a M&K plate amp off craigslist for $175 shipped. It does 250 watts RMS @ 8ohms, which should do this sub plenty justice. It achieves full excursion at only 150 watts RMS, but can handle 300.

Being about 10x more efficient then a normal driver, having 250 watts on a cyclone is like having 2500 watts on a driver that has an FS around 15Hz.... :yumyum:

Wish I had one !

misfit138
04-23-2010, 08:17 PM
Wish I had one !

x2

amp roach
04-23-2010, 08:31 PM
Does the sub have to be inverted or did you just choose to do that? Also, do these subs sound good in just a home theater application or car audio as well?

misfit138
04-23-2010, 08:58 PM
Does the sub have to be inverted or did you just choose to do that? Also, do these subs sound good in just a home theater application or car audio as well?

I'd say dude inverted the sub because of it's ridiculous mounting depth. And yes, they can be used in car audio applications.

LDW3RD
04-23-2010, 09:03 PM
op give us alil update

bassman3
04-23-2010, 09:59 PM
I haven't asked him in a while to see if he got his amp yet. Will do that, or maybe he will stumble across this thread again.

Chris Z
04-24-2010, 02:02 AM
That thing looks like freakin homemade ice cream maker.

abrhino
04-25-2010, 04:43 AM
i have always wanted one of these. Cyclone in a sonotube HT install? ftw

O.G. D-Wet
04-25-2010, 12:25 PM
im jealous

SilverSquared
05-01-2010, 11:50 PM
After reading this...its amazing how many ppl think they are "into car audio" but have no clue what this is. LMAO.

Just like any other sub, it moves air...just moves it, well, a little differently.

bassman3
05-02-2010, 01:01 AM
After reading this...its amazing how many ppl think they are "into car audio" but have no clue what this is. LMAO.

Just like any other sub, it moves air...just moves it, well, a little differently.

It's VERY unique. Still havent heard it yet... waiting on the owner to get that amp!

Suicide Bobb
05-02-2010, 03:50 AM
I was talking to whomever owned the Re sub......

Oh hah ok I see what you mean. You confused me because my buddy owns an actual RE sub. Mine is an Atomic APX18, with an RE MT (I think) recone. And I am waaaay too attached to that sub to sell it haha :D

Suicide Bobb
05-02-2010, 03:52 AM
Looks like you are ready to add some soap & water and do your laundry... :confused:

Being about 10x more efficient then a normal driver, having 250 watts on a cyclone is like having 2500 watts on a driver that has an FS around 15Hz.... :yumyum:

Wish I had one !

haha so true. It definitely looks unique. And yes, it is fairly efficient. Wait till you guys hear how much I paid for it :)

Suicide Bobb
05-02-2010, 03:58 AM

Because of the design of it's self-enclosure (the clear plastic surrounding the frame) and it's single-plane "fin", it performs the same inverted as it does normal. I could mount it normally, as there is enough space, but there is no terminal. I may add one later.

It performs great in both areas, but I believe it is more suited to HT. This is because it is not meant for SPL at all. This is not to say that SQ systems don't belong in cars, it's just that...I don't know, the Cyclone just would feel out of place imo. Or, rather, less, uh, in-place lol. But the main reason it works so well in HT is because of it's low frequency extension...where its only real rivals lie in the other two manufactured fan-like woofers. It also has a unique sound and unbelievable sound quality.

Suicide Bobb
05-02-2010, 04:00 AM
I haven't asked him in a while to see if he got his amp yet. Will do that, or maybe he will stumble across this thread again.

Hey Dustin,

Still have not got that amp yet :( I was ready to spend the money, but then found out I was behind two weeks ($200) in insurance. I have been living paycheck by paycheck every week...But I have a $350 sub, $300 iphone, and much more ready to be sold so I can get that amp! I would kill just to give this guy a watt of power!

Suicide Bobb
05-02-2010, 04:01 AM
That thing looks like freakin homemade ice cream maker.

And the comparisons continue :) Nobody knows what it is until I tell them! It's awesome!

Suicide Bobb
05-02-2010, 04:02 AM
i have always wanted one of these. Cyclone in a sonotube HT install? ftw

Haha that would be epic! Especially if it were clear :)

Suicide Bobb
05-02-2010, 04:03 AM

God, I was one of those people haha. I didn't know what it was until I saw it on craigslist. You should have seen the look on my face haha

Suicide Bobb
05-02-2010, 04:30 AM
And for those wondering how much I got this beaut for...I'll start off with how I came upon it. This is how the story goes...

I buy and sell audio equipment on craigslist as a hobby, which means I am on it constantly, doing a general search of the electronics section. I know, there are thousands of listings, but once you get caught up, you only ending up sifting through a couple hundred every day, which isn't so bad :) So, I open up craigslist, and one of the first items I see is a...PG Cyclone? What the hell is that? I open it up, and entered the twilight zone...It was like nothing I had ever seen before (outside of that $10k fan-type sub), and it was local! So I did some research, and before even checking the value, I knew that I HAD to get it. Imagine what my friends would think of it! I then do some more research, seeing this one guy sell two of them almost immediately for $300 each...So I called the guy, and we met up. Turns out it was in the original box, but I could tell it had been repackaged by the owner :/ Oh well, it was the original box still, which was just awesome. So I hook it up to see if it made noise, and it did, so I bought it for...$175!!! **** yeah!

The only issue was that it had encountered the well known issue of magnet separation, where the magnet coughs up dust, which makes a scratchy noise when played. It wasn't necessarily easy to fix, but it was fun and educational, to say the least :) Now she works like a charm, besides a little whistle noise it makes at higher volumes/excursions (maybe an air leak? I can't tell). I don't think it will be heard when it blends in with the music.

LDW3RD
05-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Sounds awesome.

bassman3
05-02-2010, 03:04 PM
And for those wondering how much I got this beaut for...I'll start off with how I came upon it. This is how the story goes...

I buy and sell audio equipment on craigslist as a hobby, which means I am on it constantly, doing a general search of the electronics section. I know, there are thousands of listings, but once you get caught up, you only ending up sifting through a couple hundred every day, which isn't so bad :) So, I open up craigslist, and one of the first items I see is a...PG Cyclone? What the hell is that? I open it up, and entered the twilight zone...It was like nothing I had ever seen before (outside of that $10k fan-type sub), and it was local! So I did some research, and before even checking the value, I knew that I HAD to get it. Imagine what my friends would think of it! I then do some more research, seeing this one guy sell two of them almost immediately for $300 each...So I called the guy, and we met up. Turns out it was in the original box, but I could tell it had been repackaged by the owner :/ Oh well, it was the original box still, which was just awesome. So I hook it up to see if it made noise, and it did, so I bought it for...$175!!! **** yeah!

The only issue was that it had encountered the well known issue of magnet separation, where the magnet coughs up dust, which makes a scratchy noise when played. It wasn't necessarily easy to fix, but it was fun and educational, to say the least :) Now she works like a charm, besides a little whistle noise it makes at higher volumes/excursions (maybe an air leak? I can't tell). I don't think it will be heard when it blends in with the music.

awesome. It shouldn't be an air leak from the enclosure though, that thing was sealed and has 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of paint lol check around the sub and box to see if you feel any type of air leaking. if so, let me know.

Suicide Bobb
05-02-2010, 05:13 PM
awesome. It shouldn't be an air leak from the enclosure though, that thing was sealed and has 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of paint lol check around the sub and box to see if you feel any type of air leaking. if so, let me know.

Haha no I meant from the sub itself, its' self-enclosure. I know that the box couldn't possibly be leaking any air :)

swollen_cu
05-02-2010, 05:45 PM
I've never heard of these type of subwoofers before.. Anyone have any links of it playing?

Suicide Bobb
05-02-2010, 06:00 PM
I've never heard of these type of subwoofers before.. Anyone have any links of it playing?

Someone has a vid of it playing free air...Pretty much a worthless video imho. I'll post a vid when I get that amp.

Imtjnotu
05-02-2010, 06:07 PM
how do these even work

Suicide Bobb
05-02-2010, 06:11 PM
how do these even work

There is a flap that is mounted to the motor, and it turns. That's the simplest way I can put it.

swollen_cu
05-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Does it have the boominess of like a regular subwoofer or can you just hear like frequencies?

Suicide Bobb
05-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Does it have the boominess of like a regular subwoofer or can you just hear like frequencies?

From what I have heard from others, it has a unique, "smooth" sound to it. It is a subwoofer, not a transducer, so you do get to hear the noise, rather than just feel it.

Suicide Bobb
05-04-2010, 09:54 PM
Guess what everyone...I sold my TC sub, and bought the M&K amp :) Hopefully it gets here quick, I'm anxious!

Rick_Roll
08-21-2010, 10:42 PM
**** so how did it sound?

50 black guys
08-21-2010, 10:44 PM
Wondering the same thing^

Rick_Roll
08-21-2010, 10:48 PM
upppppppppp

Stryker
08-21-2010, 11:53 PM
these are for car audio first, thats what they were designed for. of course they can be used in a HT setup with great results as far as loosening your rafters. Now to really gain all the benefit from it's low frequency extension it needs to be backed up by a couple of ten's.
I have a couple of friends at the PG phorum who run these and love em'
also i think the box is on the small side, these units need alotta space here is an interesting read for the tech nerds
http://download.phoenixphorum.com/Manuals/Speakers/Cyclone/Cyclone_info.pdf

Wakeup
09-22-2010, 04:34 AM
I like my pair!
Looking good...sorry you have to sell yours!

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa63/mrwakeup/New%20Box/IMG_0834.jpg