PDA

View Full Version : Sub facing UP in trunk?

k_schutte
03-06-2010, 05:05 PM
OK, can't fit this 18" in my trunk Like I had hoped (sub back, port up through deck) but I think I have a solution...

I can make a box 14" tall, 38" wide and 36" deep max dimensions and it will fit in my trunk. I would have to mount the sub so it is facing UP in the box but there is a good 6"-7"+ of room above the sub if I make the box 14"-15" tall. I was thinking 14" tall, 36" wide a 32" deep would be about perfect and that would give me about 7.1ft^3 which would then leave me a little extra space for my bracing rods (3/4" threaded rods") and all that good stuff. Port is still going to be EXTERNAL and coming up through the rear deck...

So I guess the point of this thread is: sub facing UP in a trunk OK?

use your imagination: http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/1267913354022150100.jpg (http://www.imagechicken.com)

Slo_Ride
03-06-2010, 05:08 PM
yes it will be fine.

YoungBloodM50
03-06-2010, 08:36 PM
I just built a much smaller box for my SUV (and yes I am a novice, but for whatever it's worth) and I didn't plan it out too well. I ended up having to mount it on top. It sounds great. (for being such a small box). So, again for whatever it's worth, I think it is ok to face it up.

k_schutte
03-06-2010, 08:41 PM
SUV is a whole different beast than a trunk car though. Pretty much anything sounds good in an SUV/hatch, trunks are a little more picky. I am going to give this a go and see what happens.

Any Ideas what sort of gains I should see switching from a single 15" on about 3kw to an 18" on 5Kw~?

the 15" was an SPL-15/TeamPSI in 4.5ft^3 @ 40hz, sub and port both rear facing in the trunk. 18" is a fully loaded BTL, box will be 7ft^3 @ 40hz (for comps, 32hz daily) sub up and ported through the rear deck. the 15" did a best of like 143.6dB~ so I had better AT LEAST hit that or I am going to be VERY pissed!

bhsdriller
03-06-2010, 08:43 PM
good luck with the new setup, I think It should be louder

k_schutte
03-06-2010, 08:45 PM
good luck with the new setup, I think It should be louder

It better be fukkin louder!! LOL, I regret selling that 15" already but I just want to squeeze out a few more DEEEEEEEBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ!

Slo_Ride
03-06-2010, 08:45 PM
May want to throw some deadening on the underside of your trunk lid if you havent all ready.

bubbagumper6
03-06-2010, 08:46 PM
It may not be as loud as a rear firing setup but it's not going to sound bad by any means...

Crownvicon28s
03-06-2010, 08:49 PM
I have always had more success with subs facing back in my trunk. I think you will be fine though. I would hope it would be louder, probably a 2.5-3 db as a guess. Good luck.

k_schutte
03-06-2010, 08:53 PM
May want to throw some deadening on the underside of your trunk lid if you havent all ready.

3-layers everywhere... I think I added a good 200lbs of deadener to my car. I don't get ANY flex now, which for youtube ***** but on the meter I gained over 2dB's so...

Carnivorous18
03-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Facing up is totally fine. I got a box design from RyanM923 and its sub up port forward. Dude get a box design from him they're super legit;) Btw im fittin my 18" btl in a civic in a smaller box than you so you shouldn't have to worry about it sounding bad at all. But like I said, ^that guy makes some legit designs. Heres mine
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f92/RyanM923/RandomBoxDesigns/Single18-675ft3-at-33hz-A.png
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f92/RyanM923/RandomBoxDesigns/Single18-675ft3-at-33hz-B.png

k_schutte
03-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Facing up is totally fine. I got a box design from RyanM923 and its sub up port forward. Dude get a box design from him they're super legit;) Btw im fittin my 18" btl in a civic in a smaller box than you so you shouldn't have to worry about it sounding bad at all. But like I said, ^that guy makes some legit designs. Heres mine
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f92/RyanM923/RandomBoxDesigns/Single18-675ft3-at-33hz-A.png
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f92/RyanM923/RandomBoxDesigns/Single18-675ft3-at-33hz-B.png

Yeah, He does good ****... I am fine doing my own designs and everything I am just not sure on the "orientation" of ports/subs as I have ALWAYS done sub/port rear so... My air bags should be here mid week so with any luck I should be able to start throwing this **** in the car next weekend! Still nervous about cutting a giant hole in my rear deck! Don't think my finance company would be too excited about it either but f*ck them!

Carnivorous18
03-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Yeah, He does good ****... I am fine doing my own designs and everything I am just not sure on the "orientation" of ports/subs as I have ALWAYS done sub/port rear so... My air bags should be here mid week so with any luck I should be able to start throwing this **** in the car next weekend! Still nervous about cutting a giant hole in my rear deck! Don't think my finance company would be too excited about it either but f*ck them!

What you mean air bags? And lmao yea i imagine they aint gonna be too happy. What car do you have?

k_schutte
03-07-2010, 09:11 PM
What you mean air bags? And lmao yea i imagine they aint gonna be too happy. What car do you have?

air bags for the rear suspension.... adding 400lbs+ to the stock rear suspension is a BIG no-no. it's a '99 Cadillac ETC

Carnivorous18
03-07-2010, 09:13 PM
Hahaha oh its a Cadi. The only car meant to be bagged and look good doing it :D

hypnoticguy
03-07-2010, 09:31 PM
Personally....unless u have had previous issue......... i would recommend if ur doing it sub up, to go port back. From my previous experiences, u will be more satisfied with thoes results.

k_schutte
03-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Personally....unless u have had previous issue......... i would recommend if ur doing it sub up, to go port back. From my previous experiences, u will be more satisfied with thoes results.

wow... Really? did you read anything I posted? no offense but sub up, port back in a trunk would sound like *** IMO. porting through the rear deck should be much better no matter how the sub is facing IMO...

wishuponansg
03-07-2010, 09:51 PM
wow... Really? did you read anything I posted? no offense but sub up, port back in a trunk would sound like *** IMO. porting through the rear deck should be much better no matter how the sub is facing IMO...

eh, its not terrible. i do it with an AQ 15 and it doesnt sound too bad, not the cleanest, but not the worst.

wishuponansg
03-07-2010, 09:51 PM

eh, its not terrible. i do it with an AQ 15 and it doesnt sound too bad, not the cleanest, but not the worst.

hypnoticguy
03-07-2010, 09:53 PM

I have done countless sub set ups for trunks with sub up port back....(mainly on bigger sub setups when needing the cuft) I was just mentioning something because I have done a dual 12 setup pprt through rear deck in a caddy and the output was no where near the output when I switched it to port back. It may have been the cabin but it seems the system was louder with the trunk open rather than closed.... don't get me wrong still sounded good tho.

on1wheel01
03-08-2010, 01:25 AM
Sub up is fine. Both back is best but it ok also. I had a 18" nightshade sub up port back. And it got wicked loud.

k_schutte
03-08-2010, 07:26 PM
The reason I am going port UP is because I have to do an external port in order to get the box area I need. Otherwise the most I could get is like MAY BE 5ft^3 which obviously will NOT work with an 18" BTL...

also, the box being so big puts it about 2" from each side (at it's narrowest point) and about 8" from the back of the trunk and 6"-8" from the top....

hypnoticguy
03-08-2010, 08:18 PM
The reason I am going port UP is because I have to do an external port in order to get the box area I need. Otherwise the most I could get is like MAY BE 5ft^3 which obviously will NOT work with an 18" BTL...

also, the box being so big puts it about 2" from each side (at it's narrowest point) and about 8" from the back of the trunk and 6"-8" from the top....

Are you going to run into a problem with the external port since u only got 8 inches at max, gettin the port length u need? Or do u have a plan. Man that's what ***** putting something that big in a trunk. But if u can get er done it'll be worth it.

power-fanatic07
03-08-2010, 08:19 PM
why not use psp's? They take up less space and are more effecient. I'm doing a build in my trunk either this weekend or next for a 21" warden sub up with (2) 6" psp's firing back. going to have a pair of saz1500's on it

FIMPALASS
03-08-2010, 08:26 PM
How big is your rear deck from seat to rear window. You actually plan to run 5k to a btl?