PDA

View Full Version : what has gotten RID of YOUR alt whine?

robertoyoung08
03-03-2010, 12:44 AM
so i have a thread on my problem- engine noise/alt whine whatever.

i cant get a solution nor will i get anymore help on it. ****.

so now i wana know what some of YOU guys have done that fixed YOUR engine noise.
il work backwards now. il try what solved your problem. let me know.
maybe this will also help others.

Johnny Law.Lulz
03-03-2010, 12:45 AM
What vehicle ??

robertoyoung08
03-03-2010, 12:55 AM
its a lexus. lol, and i think you were the first to reply in my last thread also. thanks for trying to thelp man

benzmansl65amg
03-03-2010, 01:01 AM
RCAs. Run the over the seat to the amp find out if it is rcas. Grounds. Noise from HU or from AMP. try ground RCAs at HU then you know it is the HU. few ideas

k_schutte
03-03-2010, 01:10 AM
Ground Loop Isolator worked for me... Metra GL15 and it was like $5...

Johnny Law.Lulz
03-03-2010, 01:15 AM
What headunit ?

robertoyoung08
03-03-2010, 01:22 AM
RCAs. Run the over the seat to the amp find out if it is rcas. Grounds. Noise from HU or from AMP. try ground RCAs at HU then you know it is the HU. few ideas

i already ran rcas over the seats to back of amp. still get the noise. ive tried regrounding the amp.. nothing. i think i tried grounding the rcas at hu and nothing... il try again. thanks for some input at least!

robertoyoung08
03-03-2010, 01:23 AM
What headunit ?

no hu. stock stereo with req proecessor.

robertoyoung08
03-03-2010, 01:23 AM
Ground Loop Isolator worked for me... Metra GL15 and it was like $5...

ive tried noise surpresors and nothing. im using a req as my "hu"and its supposed to act as a ground loop isolator

Johnny Law.Lulz
03-03-2010, 01:24 AM
Hmmmm, you might need a new processor, this one has me stumped = (

robertoyoung08
03-03-2010, 01:33 AM
Hmmmm, you might need a new processor, this one has me stumped = (

since i posted my last thread i replaced it already. i posted the first thread way back in october. i then replaced it and still same thing. ive been dealing with it since then but its an everyday annoyance to have engine noise. now i really want to ge rid of it. i took it to a shop and they tried a few things and they couldnt get rid of it. now i found another shop that says they'l really get it done, but i want to try and fix it myself before i go and spend couple hundred on just engine noise.

Johnny Law.Lulz
03-03-2010, 01:37 AM
HAve you tried running without the processor and just an LOC, i honestly dont know much about processors.

robertoyoung08
03-03-2010, 01:42 AM
HAve you tried running without the processor and just an LOC, i honestly dont know much about processors.

no, i havnt, as simple as they are, i dont have one lol.
the signal processor just takes the signal directly from the factory speakers. then send the signal through rcas to amp.

Johnny Law.Lulz
03-03-2010, 01:44 AM
So its a more complicated LOC ?

robertoyoung08
03-03-2010, 01:54 AM
So its a more complicated LOC ?

only a little more complicated.
its just a fancy loc. it uses its own power and ground. pretty much the only differerance in how its installed

mylows10
03-03-2010, 01:54 AM
hey roberto ,call me next time your going to be in the area and ill give you an loc

Grinder1989
03-03-2010, 01:55 AM
lol. The LOC is your problem.

Eddie Havok
03-03-2010, 02:06 AM
witch car, i got a es300 and when i ran a LOC of my stock i got alt whine horribly. i could never get rid of it, lol.

skydeaner
03-03-2010, 02:09 AM
Yup get a real head unit. Alpines have great noise rejection. Pioneers have average noise rejection. Sony's have pretty below average noise suppresion.

jeyventura
03-03-2010, 02:10 AM
(shielded rcas)Try this HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more! (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021803&p_id=2865&seq=1&format=2) its not monster but for the price works very well i was having some horrible issues and this fix it.
Right now im running like 6 sets of rcas together and there no noise at all

robertoyoung08
03-03-2010, 02:10 AM
hey roberto ,call me next time your going to be in the area and ill give you an loc
il try and be there this weekend hopefully.

idk if a loc will work though, ive tried feeding my amp signal through just an ipod and it still picks up alt whine.

robertoyoung08
03-03-2010, 02:12 AM
Yup get a real head unit. Alpines have great noise rejection. Pioneers have average noise rejection. Sony's have pretty below average noise suppresion.

i cant get rid of it. i got a whole nave and climate controls and **** built in. plus id rather keep factory radio/look

robertoyoung08
03-03-2010, 02:12 AM
witch car, i got a es300 and when i ran a LOC of my stock i got alt whine horribly. i could never get rid of it, lol.

gs300. did you get rid of ur alt whine or did u get an aftermarket deck afterall?

spltuscon
03-03-2010, 08:43 AM
This is pretty basic, but have you tried turning down the gains on your amps? Sometimes situations with alternator whine can be solved by running low gain. The amp becomes far more sensitive to noise issues when the gain is turned up. Start all the way down and slowly go up till the noise appears, then back off slightly.

LOC's are total crap too, I started refusing to use them when I use to install, because they always caused problems. Glad I don't install anymore...

Eddie Havok
03-03-2010, 11:30 AM
nah , i just installed a actual headunit, lol.

robertoyoung08
03-03-2010, 01:49 PM
This is pretty basic, but have you tried turning down the gains on your amps? Sometimes situations with alternator whine can be solved by running low gain. The amp becomes far more sensitive to noise issues when the gain is turned up. Start all the way down and slowly go up till the noise appears, then back off slightly.

LOC's are total crap too, I started refusing to use them when I use to install, because they always caused problems. Glad I don't install anymore...

il definitely try this, worth a shot. makes sense. but at the same time, doesnt it just mean that i wont hear any noise cus i will barely be getting any output from the amp?

robertoyoung08
03-03-2010, 01:50 PM
nah , i just installed a actual headunit, lol.

lol ****. was hoping youd have a solution

Johnny Law.Lulz
03-05-2010, 08:01 AM
I hate to say it but try a cap, it might work just fine considering the only thing its good for is being a noise filter.

YoungBloodM50
03-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Have you tried disconnecting/ bypassing all unnecesary components one at a time to see when it is there and when it is not? Use the divide and conquer method. Start as close to the noise as possible then work your way back until you find it.

Grinder1989
03-05-2010, 09:15 PM
That's not going to fix it. Try grounding a piece of wire to your RCA's shields and then ground that wire to the amp ground. There's a chance it will fix the whine and there's a chance it won't. It's worth a shot though. LOCS ****.

YoungBloodM50
03-06-2010, 12:58 AM
Your right Grinder, it won't FIX the problem. But it can isolate it. Then he will know where the problem comes from. I'm not saying it's 100% foolproof, but it's worth a shot after 5 months of trying to fix it. Good luck robertoyoung.

amartin_72
03-06-2010, 01:02 AM
ground from deck to crossover or deck to amp helped mine

jdmferio13
03-06-2010, 01:21 AM
when saying alt whine does yours sound like a blower and get louder as you go faster or rev the car.Thats my problem but knowthing is hooked up right now.My rcas are hooked into the hu but other end has nothing on it.

robertoyoung08
03-06-2010, 03:40 AM
when saying alt whine does yours sound like a blower and get louder as you go faster or rev the car.Thats my problem but knowthing is hooked up right now.My rcas are hooked into the hu but other end has nothing on it.

yeah exactly my problem. well idk exactly when and when the problem is NOT there. tomorrow im going to try everything i can. its saturday and my only day off. hopefully il be able to figure it out.

today i think i figured out that i get the noise when my amp is powered up, wheher or not it has any rcas or anything hooked up to it. which is weird. makes me think its the speaker wires taht are picking up noise on their own

robertoyoung08
03-06-2010, 03:40 AM
ground from deck to crossover or deck to amp helped mine

will try grounding my deck to the amp also. thanks!

robertoyoung08
03-06-2010, 03:41 AM
Your right Grinder, it won't FIX the problem. But it can isolate it. Then he will know where the problem comes from. I'm not saying it's 100% foolproof, but it's worth a shot after 5 months of trying to fix it. Good luck robertoyoung.

yeah over five ****ing months. i go on and off with trying to fix it cus it gets so **** annoying trying **** and then failing, but ****, its more annoying having the engine noise. ive slowly worked my way back, crossing out problems that might be, but tomorrow il really try.

robertoyoung08
03-06-2010, 03:43 AM
I hate to say it but try a cap, it might work just fine considering the only thing its good for is being a noise filter.

lol i do have a cap. i have a tsunami installed, only hooked it up cus i figured id use the distribution block on it and then voltage mete, but ive had it on since i first did the install, and ive had the engine noise since then. =(

robertoyoung08
03-06-2010, 03:52 AM
That's not going to fix it. Try grounding a piece of wire to your RCA's shields and then ground that wire to the amp ground. There's a chance it will fix the whine and there's a chance it won't. It's worth a shot though. LOCS ****.

il try grounding my rcas at the amp ground, also worth a try. but as i said, i think as long as my amp powers up, im getting the alt noise. could be a messed up amp? or maybe my amp ground is no good? but i regrounded my amp to where i used to have my sub amp grounded, and my mono amp was always fine.

unscarredcfh
03-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Is the power wire for your amp routed anywhere near the distributor or ignition coil?

hispls
03-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Weak battery or bad doide in your alternator can cause this, running amp gains too high, poor grounds (on anything), or sometimes just faulty equipment. Some say a bad spark plug can do it too.

Normally it is poor grounds of something (hence the term ground loop)

robertoyoung08
03-10-2010, 12:45 AM
Is the power wire for your amp routed anywhere near the distributor or ignition coil?

no. power wire doesnt touch anything under the hood, other than the chasis that is lol

robertoyoung08
03-10-2010, 12:47 AM
Weak battery or bad doide in your alternator can cause this, running amp gains too high, poor grounds (on anything), or sometimes just faulty equipment. Some say a bad spark plug can do it too.

Normally it is poor grounds of something (hence the term ground loop)

this is seriously ****ing horrible. if so many things can be a factor in alt whine then theres so much higher possibility of anyone getting engine whine and less chance for me to fix it. battery is new, and i recently replaced it.. ive had the noise before the new battery and after new battery, so its not the battery. il try to set gains lower, but that'll probably just hide the alt whine cus it wont amplify it as loudly. alt and spark plugs could be, but like i said, stuff like that would make it a huge hassle to get rid of alt whine for anyone.

michaellane
03-10-2010, 12:50 AM
added a second battery and it all went away lol

robertoyoung08
03-10-2010, 02:39 AM
lol yeah i read your response on someone else's alt whine thread.
it was probably because it was your power wire carrying the noise and then your second battery in the back filtered it?

skydeaner
03-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Killing my wife......

Oh wait, that is a different whine.