PDA

View Full Version : +3 db on crossover = blown tweeter?

loud-n-low
03-02-2010, 09:21 AM
I installed my ID ctx65cs in my new car and the tweeter is ALOT quieter than in my old car.(set at 0 db) I think it is reflecting much less off the glass is why. my question is, will setting the crossover at +3 db make the likelihood of blowing the tweeter much higher? will they sound real harsh?

keep_hope_alive
03-02-2010, 12:12 PM
it's safe to try and experiment. it's a level increase, not an eq boost - shouldn't make it more or less harsh than it already is - just louder.

James Bang
03-02-2010, 12:15 PM
mad dbs yo

jerseyboy
03-02-2010, 12:16 PM
i had some mephis comps that came set at 5db already and I played it like that for a month on 150 rms befor I put the level down because they were toooo bright!!!

Image Dynamics
03-02-2010, 08:03 PM
You shouldn't have a problem bumping up to +3db, it's just switching the resistor inline. Experimentation is how we all improve our systems.
Make the change, play with it: if you like it, keep it that way; if not, adjust back.

Besides, it's typically a "short circuit" between the seat and the volume knob that will kill a tweeter. lol

Johnny Law.Lulz
03-02-2010, 08:11 PM
If you send clipped power to the tweeters then a +3db will blow them faster than others, ive done it. Not on Id's but on some other comps. You should be fine as long as its clean power. Just make sure the tweet isnt getting hot to the touch.