PDA

View Full Version : Will this work?

YoungBloodM50
03-01-2010, 01:24 AM
OK fellas. This is my first post in this section. Just a quick question about this box.
I wanted it vented, and as small as I could go staying within the sub manufacturer's guidelines.

Here's what I have: 03 toyota highlander
Kenwood kdc-mp342u deck
Alpine 4 ch. mrp-f300
Kenwood KDC-W2511 10" sub

I know it's not the greatest stuff, but I bought most of it before I learned what's best for the money. Besides, this is my wife's car. I will do it right when I get a new one.

Here is the box I plan on building tomorrow 3/1.
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo212/aleec1/Subbox.jpg

So here is the big question. Will it make one bit of difference if I have the sub top firing and vent in front. So assuming the picture is exactly how I will set it in the vehicle, will it sound best with sub on top or side????? Or will it even make any difference?

on1wheel01
03-01-2010, 01:43 AM
Man thats a tiny box id do both back but depends on the car

YoungBloodM50
03-01-2010, 02:24 AM
I'm not understanding your response onwheel01. It is a small box, but I only have 1 10" sub. I think you thought there were 2. And what did you mean by "back", you mean "front"? or the wall facing you as you look at the picture?

YoungBloodM50
03-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Ok, so what if I top mount the sub and then add a little shelf above it to protect/ make the top usable space? Would that technically make this a bandpass box? Or would it make any difference at all?

I just made all the cuts for the box, but I am afraid to cut the hole out in the front. I am not sure if that front plate is quite big enough. So my next choice is to top mount it, but as I said earlier this is my wife's car and I don't want her to set something on top of the sub and ruin it.

Oh and I will take pictures when it's done. I don't think you guys want to see the build pics. You've all seen them before, so I won't bore you with that part.

RAM_Designs
03-01-2010, 09:58 PM
I just don't get why people keep on using the RE calc, it's seemingly never right.

18x16x12 gives you:

1.45ft^3 before any displacement
-.3ft^3 for port
-.15 for sub
-------------------
~1ft^3 after it's all said and done

With the port shown in the original picture, and with the actual 1ft^3 you'll have, you'll end up with a ~39hz tuning.

YoungBloodM50
03-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Well I know it might not be that great for you guys, but it worked for me. The small little .75 sealed box just wasn't cutting it. But this 1ft^3 vented box certainly is cutting it. It's not completely done yet, but almost. I just need to get a good quality terminal, but for now I just have the speaker wire going through the port. I was blown away with how much deeper and louder it is now. The sub is only getting 75 watts rms to it, and this box has made it so much louder. I was planning on buying a much bigger amp for the sub, but probably won't do that for a while. After all, this is for my wife's car.

Thanks for the help guys, I will be posting pictures as soon as I get it covered and have the terminal installed. Probably by monday, maybe sunday.