PDA

View Full Version : Combining ported and sealed?

CVP71
02-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Hey everyone, I'm having a local builder build a box for me. He'll be taking measurements on Tuesday. I am debating over ported or sealed. What would happen if one was to build a two sub enclosure with one side ported and the other sealed? Would you get the best of both worlds or would you have a complete disaster on your hands? SQ is a big deal to me.

Would it pretty much be a bandpass box?

He's building the box around an Ascendant Audio Havoc 12. I have contemplated purchasing two AA Chaos 12's.

Thanks.

Jaredturp
02-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Bandpassss.

CVP71
02-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Bandpassss.

I am essentially talking about two separate enclosures. Not a sealed within a ported... Does that make sense?

Ray21
02-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Go with a large low-tuned box...

Jaredturp
02-28-2010, 05:52 PM
One on each side of the cone? So the motor is in one box and the front of the sub is hitting into another enclosure?

dman4486
02-28-2010, 05:54 PM
if you want an enclosure with sq in mind, focus on the larger end of the rec. enclosure spec and tune low.

Jaredturp
02-28-2010, 05:59 PM
I like tuned to 30 personally :)

CVP71
02-28-2010, 07:55 PM
One on each side of the cone? So the motor is in one box and the front of the sub is hitting into another enclosure?

I know nothing about building enclosures and haven't tested different configurations... But this is what I was talking about.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/TDubbed/BoxIdea.png

loud-n-low
02-28-2010, 07:57 PM
pick one. I would suggest a ported enclosure with a fairly low tuning. I prefer sealed boxes, but thats the way I like the sound of a ported

whitedragon551
02-28-2010, 07:59 PM
I love my large ported box tuned at 33Hz. Its fairly musical and gets low as ****.

CVP71
02-28-2010, 08:01 PM
I guess if I have to pick ONE then I will. I was just curious about this kind of configuration. I tried to google it and found only one reference to anything like it but, nobody replied to that persons thread. I just wonder if that would sound good or not.

Jaredturp
02-28-2010, 08:11 PM
I have a friend with 2 dd 1508's sealed behind the seat and 1510 in a box in place of his console. The box is tuned too high and this sounds like ****, but it would sound decent with a lower tuning. I'm with everyone else. Tune low and use a big box.

CVP71
02-28-2010, 08:16 PM
I have a friend with 2 dd 1508's sealed behind the seat and 1510 in a box in place of his console. The box is tuned too high and this sounds like ****, but it would sound decent with a lower tuning. I'm with everyone else. Tune low and use a big box.

So he's got sealed behind his seat and ported in place of his console?

Jaredturp
02-28-2010, 08:19 PM
Correct... it's a truck... Gets loud, but I would never suggest it to anyone.

t1n0m3n
02-28-2010, 08:33 PM
On paper, I don't think that there is anything wrong with the idea of both a sealed and ported box. However, I think that it would take a lot of effort to get it to sound right. Maybe even impossible if they were driven on the same channel by the same amp and the same baffle. I think that you would have issues of the woofers working against each other and sounding muddy. However, put them on different crossovers, eq channels, amps, baffles, etc and you can make most anything work with enough time, energy, money and the proper tools. Just a thought though, technically there is no difference between this design and using multiple manufacturer's subs in differently (or even same) tuned boxes... Just more variables to make it sound right. In the end, the sound that would come out of this type of setup would probably not sound much, if any, better than a simpler ported or sealed setup.

Of course I could be wrong... Why don't you try it and let us know the results?

whitedragon551
02-28-2010, 08:39 PM
I think you could get away with using a 4 channel amp and bridging 2 channels a piece and run each sub at 4 ohms bridged each. This would allow seperate EQ settings and what not for each sub, but doesnt get rid of the same baffle and other issues.

CVP71
02-28-2010, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm planning on talking to the local builder here and get his thoughts on it. It's just that it's next to impossible to choose between ported or sealed. On one hand, I listen to rock mostly. On the other hand, it's fun getting really loud.

My other idea was having separate amps and boxes and, depending on the type of music, switching one setup on or off by wiring up some switches to both amps turn on wires. Have the sealed on for when I listen to music that requires precise beats and then flip the ported on when I wanted to be loud. Waste of money? Probably.

It's just a tough decision and no matter how many "SEALED vs. PORTED" threads I look at, I'll ultimately have to choose one or the other...

Jaredturp
02-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Some pulg-able ports sound like what you need!

CVP71
02-28-2010, 09:38 PM
Some pulg-able ports sound like what you need!

I kinda played around with that in my head a little but thought there would be a compromise somewhere with box size. Can you make a box in a size that works well with both sealed and ported subs?