PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a rear set of coaxials 6.5's.

Xenozx
02-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Hey, I'm sure there are a million and 1 of these threads, but I would really like some input.

I bought a set of front components already Polk DB6501's. I also bought a pioneer amp that does 60w x 4 @ 4 ohms.

the last piece to the puzzle, is I need a set of rear coaxials. I will eventually be buying a subwoofer down the road but for a few months, I will be riding around speakers only.

I guess due to this, I wouldnt mind a pair of coaxials that can put out some decent bass. I know no 6.5 speaker is going to do it better or near a sub, but I guess the best of the best in the 6.5 under 100 bucks coaxials is what I am looking for.

here are the 4 I am currently looking at

JL Audio VR650-CXI 50w RMS

ALPINE Type-R SPR-17C Coaxial 110w rms

MB Quart DKH 116 50w rms

Polk Audio db651 Car speaker - 60w rms

I guess my biggest worry, is since I have a 60w RMS amp, will i run into issues using it to power some of the 50w RMS speakers?

Wattser93
02-26-2010, 10:31 PM
I guess my biggest worry, is since I have a 60w RMS amp, will i run into issues using it to power some of the 50w RMS speakers?
You'll be fine.

Xenozx
02-27-2010, 02:28 AM
i was reading a review of the MB quart's that said at 80% power after about 4 hours the speakers overheated and there was a loss of mid bass.

so if i did 60w wouldnt that be like 120% power, and couldnt that cause a loss in sound at a much faster pace, or am I looking into this too far?

misfit138
02-27-2010, 02:32 AM
Bridge the amp for the Polks and forget about coaxials...

Xenozx
02-27-2010, 12:53 PM
How would that be beneficial? Bridged amp does 150w x 2 @ 4 ohm, which is beyond the polks specs. whats funny is I was looking on crutchfield, and looked at my amps review and there was this review:

Pioneer GM-6400F 4-channel car amplifier — 60 watts RMS x 4 at Crutchfield.com (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130GM6400F/Pioneer-GM-6400F.html?tp=115&tab=review#tab)

"Great briged
Written By bigdaddyjosh, Louisiana on Friday, February 05, 2010

Had this amp installed and bridged to a pair of Polk Audio DB6501 components. Man this this provides great power. I love it so far!!! "

Not sure why you would do that tho, could you elaborate?

also, wouldnt losing the sound in the back be a problem, remove the fullness ouf sound?

SuperJay
02-27-2010, 12:55 PM
you don't need rear speakers. I dont' use them. Really, the only reason to have them is for rear seat passengers. i dont' ride in the back, and I don't face the back of the arena at a concert. The sound should come from the front.

Xenozx
02-27-2010, 04:16 PM
I ended up going w/ the polks for the rear as well, so polk audio front and rear. I do have people in the back quite often. I wouldnt think having sound in the back as negative. I would think having 60w RMS pumping to the fronts would give some bad *** sound regardless no? Obviously 150w would be even better lol, but I would think that would push the boundrees of the speakers, and I definately dont want to blow them. I dont think having the same speakers and going from 60w to 150 would make such a big difference in sound quality?

misfit138
02-27-2010, 04:21 PM
It's all in the install, bro. Seal & deaden your doors and those Polks will sound alright...

Xenozx
02-27-2010, 05:35 PM
can you give me a good idea on how to make sure my doors are sealed and deadend right? I did buy some dyna mat.

RED3
02-28-2010, 12:55 PM
check out some build logs, they will have pics of how various people have applied the deadener, should find some pics of sealed doors as well, probably a how to as well, each car is a bit different, search for your (insert car here) and see what pops up.

jeeper07
02-28-2010, 12:59 PM
for coaxals in the rear hit up mike at vertex audio for some of his CDT coaxials, best price around on quality speakers. - Vertex Audio - Midwest Car Audio & Performance (http://mwcaraudio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=94)

Louisiana_CRX
02-28-2010, 01:20 PM
you don't need rear speakers. I dont' use them. Really, the only reason to have them is for rear seat passengers. i dont' ride in the back, and I don't face the back of the arena at a concert. The sound should come from the front.

the only time i use rear speakers is occasionaly for fill...or 5.1 setups...sometimes with certain processors a rear is needed...i prefer a mid/full range driver ...pretty much for vocals wth no highs in the rear.....