PDA

View Full Version : air nailing

idontwant1
12-29-2003, 10:22 PM
i always build my boxes with predrilling screw and wood glue .and i know alot of people use air nailers ..i was wondering what kind of nails you using and if a simple $100 nailer would do the trick .also i already have a 5 horse compressor

LoneRanger
12-30-2003, 01:08 AM
i always build my boxes with predrilling screw and wood glue .and i know alot of people use air nailers ..i was wondering what kind of nails you using and if a simple $100 nailer would do the trick .also i already have a 5 horse compressor

if done correctly, fasteners (nails, screws) are only a temporary bond that keeps the boards in place while the glue dries. it doesn't really matter what you use, as long as it's glued properly.

idontwant1
12-30-2003, 08:08 AM
how well do nail guns work on mdf?

customtronic
12-30-2003, 08:57 AM
I use a nail gun mainly because it's fast and easy. I agree with the guy that said the nails or screws only hold it all together until the wood glue dries, if you use the right glue that is. As costs go, you should plan on using a gun that shoots at least a 2" long 15 gauge nail. You can use a bigger nail but the gun is going to cost more. Look at the Craftsman guns. They're good quality and reasonably priced. The 5hp compressor you have should work ok. The tank size is the main thing though. Hope this helps. Later....Steve

idontwant1
12-30-2003, 01:48 PM
what make and model nail guns is everybody using

ramos
12-30-2003, 02:01 PM
I have a couple that I use. This one mainly
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47916 . Cheap but very effective. Also I agree with the above. The glue does the holding together. The brads are there to hold everything while the glue dries. Use a good urethane glue and you will be set. My personal favorite glue is gorilla glue. Once dry you will break the mdf itself before you break the glued joint. :)

idontwant1
12-30-2003, 02:11 PM
i think ill order 1 up ..thats unless sombody else pipes in with a better cheaper gun ....

ssj2xxgotenxx
12-30-2003, 07:15 PM
So once the glue dries... there is no way you can seperate the wood?

ss3079
12-30-2003, 08:53 PM

Big hammer ... glue joint is very very strong ... so it won't be pretty.

- Steve

ramos
12-31-2003, 08:59 AM

With good straight edges, and proper gluing using urethane wood glue no. Not unless you use a saw :)