PDA

View Full Version : Slot ports that exit the same distance from the rear as they are wide???? HELP

mendon mafia
02-22-2010, 02:06 PM
Ok so im using the re calculator to get some baseline designs for my next projects and im wondering what is the deal when you make the port bend 2 length 0" in length?

it says on the re site that you are still acting as bent using the .75" of the thickness of the wood as the port bend 2 piece.

basically i want to know if I am the same distance from the back of the box as is equal to the port width do i get to count the bend in the port length or is it just the length of the port wall? will it still function like a bent port? should i put a 45 or a curve in the corner as like a bent port?

How much farther from the back of the box do i need to be for it to act as a straight port and not need a 45 or curve?

Ive designed a box like this for me friend before and it turned out great but i think it was lucky on the tuning, i cant remember how i calculated it.

psych0ticnemes1
02-22-2010, 02:43 PM
The port actually extends past the port piece like this:

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/8946/portareademo.jpg (http://img651.imageshack.us/i/portareademo.jpg/)

Port piece length + port width + width of wood = Total port length (22.75")

on1wheel01
02-22-2010, 03:31 PM
psych0ticnemes1 to the rescue again lol good info

psych0ticnemes1
02-22-2010, 03:42 PM
I do what I can. ;)

mendon mafia
02-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Thanks.

so how far from the back do i need to make it to be considered a straight port?

also when making it like shown above would it be beneficial to add a 45 or curved section?

RAM_Designs
02-22-2010, 07:07 PM
also when making it like shown above would it be beneficial to add a 45 or curved section?

Either or will help air flow rather than having just a 90* corner.

mendon mafia
02-22-2010, 07:19 PM
Either or will help air flow rather than having just a 90* corner.

ok so now for the how far away do i need to be before it becomes a straight port, surely 6.5 inch for a 6" wide port wont be enough, how much is?

RAM_Designs
02-22-2010, 09:08 PM
ok so now for the how far away do i need to be before it becomes a straight port, surely 6.5 inch for a 6" wide port wont be enough, how much is?

I couldn't tell you how much further it has to be, or what % more than the width of the port it has to be...I just tend to either keep it a safe distance from the corner, or use the corner.