PDA

View Full Version : F150 10's ported problem /concerns...

Cali_Screw
02-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Im looking to building a enclosure for 2 10's ported. But i have a seat bracket i have to work around, now i have a concern it will mess with the port and how the subs sound. Will there be an issue? Here is photo of what the box will look like, If any one can clear this issue up please let me know.

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/6178-10407-150039.jpg

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/6178-10407-150064.jpg

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/6178-10407-150041.jpg

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/6178-10407-151010.jpg

Port will be in the middle, and i plan on using an areo ports. Also would it be better to use one big one or two small ones? and will i hear any port noise with the port facing forward like the subs?

z0n3d0u7
02-16-2010, 05:36 AM
I like this box. Wondering how close it would be to fitting in my 00 f150. Gives me hopes for my 2 8" build. Not sure how i wanna fire my subs / port tho. Looks good!

Paulman
02-16-2010, 07:09 AM
i say leave it sealed i dont think u will have enough surface area for a ported box

GI JOEY
02-16-2010, 08:30 AM
Use aero ports for sure and go with one big. I would use 2 4" or 1 6". That should be enough for this box I assume. I have over 5 cubes after all the displacement and I only have 3 4" aeros and dont have any port noise. Thats what these aeros are kown for. Just make sure you have enough bepth for the aeros to fit. And keep in mind that a 4" aero is actually like 7" at the exit. and like 6.25 at the internal opening. I didnt plan that part and had a hell of a time getting them to fit. Alot of people said I needed more port area on mine but after talking with others and saying screw it and just using the 4" its perfect. The subs are very happy with the portarea I gave them.

Cali_Screw
02-16-2010, 11:11 AM
this box is close to 3 cubic feet, and and i can use 2 4" areo's or one big 6", now will it be bad to have it face the same way as the subs? No one still has addressed the issue of that notch, am i looking for trouble and a ****** sound?

GI JOEY
02-16-2010, 07:27 PM
You should be ok facing them like that. you just dont want them on the opposate side as the subs. Do the math on the length, I am getting roughlt 20ish if you tune to 32. Now the issue is are you gonna be able to fit that length? I highly doubt you will want to do external on a truck like this. You might want to try and put the port or ports closer to one of the subs and do a 90 deg bend and get your length that way. If I were you I would do the port on the driver side of the box facing to the side of the truck. That will get you a higher spl anyways. Kinda like rear facing in other vehicles.

Ray21
02-16-2010, 07:36 PM
Wow, nice job on the box. I may need dimensions on this one. :D
If you're concerned about airflow with the notch, I wouldn't be... I don't see it posing a problem.

What's the depth of the box from front to back?
I think you may be better off with two 4" ports... don't think there's enough room for the inside flare of a 6".

Cali_Screw
02-16-2010, 08:33 PM
actually thats not my box, mine will look like this,

and i have up to 20"s of depth on the box..

GI JOEY
02-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Honestly bro I think you aer either gonna have to 90deg it or go on the side. Either way you can use the flairs just fine with either sized aero. You want to have more than an inch or 2 from the back of the box. That 20" wont cut it if you plan on going straight.

Cali_Screw
02-17-2010, 01:37 AM
Is there a calculator i can use to fine port area? what if i use two areo's?

Louisiana_CRX
02-17-2010, 01:41 AM
it looks nice...i don't think my F150 SC has that much room.....

Johnny Law.Lulz
02-17-2010, 01:45 AM
You'll have to do 2 ports because of depth IMO, You can use elbows if you account for the extra length and if you do that, id do one port to each side of the box because if you do both to one side or an unequal length of distance between each sub and port, you could have unloading on the closer sub which is bad.

Edit: after seeing that little section for the left side of the box in between the subs, i suggest going sealed because your going to have a shitload of problems porting it correctly. That little notch is going to cut airflow off from the one side causing unloading on the right side sub, you could remedy this with external ports. or just staying sealed.

Ray21
02-17-2010, 01:48 AM
it looks nice...i don't think my F150 SC has that much room.....

He has a seat lift.

Cali_Screw
02-17-2010, 02:06 AM
You'll have to do 2 ports because of depth IMO, You can use elbows if you account for the extra length and if you do that, id do one port to each side of the box because if you do both to one side or an unequal length of distance between each sub and port, you could have unloading on the closer sub which is bad.

Edit: after seeing that little section for the left side of the box in between the subs, i suggest going sealed because your going to have a shitload of problems porting it correctly. That little notch is going to cut airflow off from the one side causing unloading on the right side sub, you could remedy this with external ports. or just staying sealed.

Now what if i were to separate each sub and port them that way? The reason i am going ported is to achieve more out put/ low end over my 2 12's sealed.

If i were to go sealed i could potentially do 3 tens sealed. My whole goal here is for more out put and low end bass.

Johnny Law.Lulz
02-17-2010, 02:09 AM
Now what if i were to separate each sub and port them that way? The reason i am going ported is to achieve more out put/ low end over my 2 12's sealed.

If i were to go sealed i could potentially do 3 tens sealed. My whole goal here is for more out put and low end bass.

You would have to make sure each side has the exact same airspace. Then you could port each side. That should work.

Louisiana_CRX
02-17-2010, 02:16 AM
He has a seat lift.

i might would try that...but i'm just gonna do my amp rack under my rear seat and a console sub box

supermaxx123
02-17-2010, 02:18 AM
the box itself is close to 3cu/ft, so this is gross? your going to have to add both 10's then the port which would make it too small to port. One 12 ported would have been a little easier to port, can you fit a 12(diamter)?

Cali_Screw
02-17-2010, 02:19 AM
the box itself is close to 3cu/ft, so this is gross? your going to have to add both 10's then the port which would make it too small to port. One 12 ported would have been a little easier to port, can you fit a 12(diamter)?

How large of a space are you thinking two tens need ported?

if you divide it, 1.5 per sub, sub displacement .2 and port .1 that's (areos dont take much from what im told) roughly 1.15 -1.2 per sub, i think that would be plenty for two tens ported...

yes i can fit one 12" but only up fire.

Cali_Screw
02-17-2010, 02:22 AM
i might would try that...but i'm just gonna do my amp rack under my rear seat and a console sub box

i wanna see this build!!

Louisiana_CRX
02-17-2010, 02:28 AM
i wanna see this build!!

I hope to start it soon...I have a brand new set of Roush leather seat covers for my truck...When I strip down the interior...I'll start...I'm gonna run old school Kicker amps in the build....

Ray21
02-17-2010, 02:31 AM
Just pm'd you back, but I think a single 12 would work perfect for what you're after.

Sub on the driver's side, port firing toward the pass. side door.

supermaxx123
02-17-2010, 02:34 AM
How large of a space are you thinking two tens need ported?

if you divide it, 1.5 per sub, sub displacement .2 and port .1 that's (areos dont take much from what im told) roughly 1.15 -1.2 per sub, i think that would be plenty for two tens ported...

yes i can fit one 12" but only up fire.

what 10's?
a 4 inch inner diamter port 15inches long would take up .1cu/ft. are you really going to use 12.56"^2 of port area?

Cali_Screw
02-17-2010, 02:38 AM
what 10's?
a 4 inch inner diamter port 15inches long would take up .1cu/ft. are you really going to use 12.56"^2 of port area?

Im not to familiar with porting so im not sure what is ideal.

supermaxx123
02-17-2010, 02:46 AM
for 2 10's i would say no less than a 6" aero. using that with your box space is roughly 22" long would tune you to about 35hz, probably more like 36. would you be able to fit that in the box?
using one 12 you could run the sub on one side and the 6" aero on the other, would be easier IMO.
what 2 12's sealed are you trying to get louder than?

Cali_Screw
02-17-2010, 02:50 AM
for 2 10's i would say no less than a 6" aero. using that with your box space is roughly 22" long would tune you to about 35hz, probably more like 36. would you be able to fit that in the box?
using one 12 you could run the sub on one side and the 6" aero on the other, would be easier IMO.
what 2 12's sealed are you trying to get louder than?

yea a single 6" 22 in length wont work. I was running two DC audio lvl 3's and also had a pair of jl w6's both were equally the same in out put. DC had a bit better shake on the low end i have to say.

Another option i could try is fiber glassing the bottom of my box and runny 12's sealed again, i would be anywhere from 3.0-3.5 total, depend how much i glassed, what do you think of that? or is a single 12" ported better? Also would the single 12" ported be the same or better then 2 10's ported?

i appreciate all the info and help!

Johnny Law.Lulz
02-17-2010, 02:51 AM
yea a single 6" 22 in length wont work. I was running two DC audio lvl 3's and also had a pair of jl w6's both were equally the same in out put. DC had a bit better shake on the low end i have to say.

Another option i could try is fiber glassing the bottom of my box and runny 12's sealed again, i would be anywhere from 3.0-3.5 total, depend how much i glassed, what do you think of that? or is a single 12" ported better? Also would the single 12" ported be the same or better then 2 10's ported?

Its partially going to depend on the subs you choose but i think a 3" port per 10" would work just fine.

Ray21
02-17-2010, 03:00 AM
Glassing a larger sealed box for those 12s will net you very little gain over what you have. How about porting one of the DCs you have? I think a single 4" Precision/Aero port would be fine for it.

I may not have as much output as a pair of 10s but I think you'll be more than pleased with it. It'll play much deeper than the sealed 12s by far.

supermaxx123
02-17-2010, 03:02 AM

maybe im just weird but i would go with a single 12 ported. im more of a one sub person. sealed since there is no real cutout point as far as frequency they can get lower, but a good ported box can do the same and will always be louder.
i had a 10 with a 3" port, not aero, and i got a lot of port noise. maybe the aero will help.

it's really your choice as to what to go with, for me it would just be hard with 2 10's to tune low. if you were looking to tune to like 45hz, a 6" aero 12"long would work great :)

Cali_Screw
02-17-2010, 03:03 AM
Glassing a larger sealed box for those 12s will net you very little gain over what you have. How about porting one of the DCs you have? I think a single 4" Precision/Aero port would be fine for it.

I may not have as much output as a pair of 10s but I think you'll be more than pleased with it. It'll play much deeper than the sealed 12s by far.

Reason i chose two 10's ported was for the fact of the output and the lows i may be able to achieve. i need to consider what i want, i could do the tens ported but separate them and port each sub. i could even glass the floor on that box to gain space as well too. I just dont want to run into issues with that notch being there in a ported enclosure.

Cali_Screw
02-17-2010, 03:05 AM
maybe im just weird but i would go with a single 12 ported. im more of a one sub person. sealed since there is no real cutout point as far as frequency they can get lower, but a good ported box can do the same and will always be louder.
i had a 10 with a 3" port, not aero, and i got a lot of port noise. maybe the aero will help.

it's really your choice as to what to go with, for me it would just be hard with 2 10's to tune low. if you were looking to tune to like 45hz, a 6" aero 12"long would work great :)

im not to familiar with what "tunning to" actually does?

Ray21
02-17-2010, 03:11 AM
im not to familiar with what "tunning to" actually does?

A lower tune (say 26-30hz) will yield a flatter response curve, better SQ. A higher tune, 32-35hz will have a larger hump in the freq. response, more output.

The vehicles transfer function/ cabin gain will determine actual frequency response... gets complicated though. lol

Cali_Screw
02-17-2010, 03:13 AM
A lower tune (say 26-30hz) will yield a flatter response curve, better SQ. A higher tune, 32-35hz will have a larger hump in the freq. response, more output.

ah.. so lower is what i want then!

supermaxx123
02-17-2010, 03:26 AM
see how many people actually tune below 30hz... its hard to do sometimes because of the long port needed.

Ray21
02-17-2010, 03:31 AM
see how many people actually tune below 30hz... its hard to do sometimes because of the long port needed.

:bigwave:

Honestly I think around 32hz is perfect compromise between SQ and output. 35hz is the highest I'd tune.

Different drivers plot differently to tuning as well.

supermaxx123
02-17-2010, 03:37 AM
:bigwave:

Honestly I think around 32hz is perfect compromise between SQ and output. 35hz is the highest I'd tune.

Different drivers plot differently to tuning as well.

26hz in a home isn't bad...:)

Ray21
02-17-2010, 03:45 AM
26hz in a home isn't bad...:)

At home I have an AVA15 tuned to 16hz. :naughty:

GI JOEY
02-17-2010, 09:24 AM
For your port calc here ya go. Straight from the source.
Products Menu (http://www.psp-inc.com/tools.html)
You can fit the 2 4" aeros if you side fire them. A single 4 is pretty small in port area for around 2.5 after displacements. Putting the ports on the side the start of the ports will be past the sub which will help with the unloading.