PDA

View Full Version : best and cheapest deadening material

robertoyoung08
02-15-2010, 05:00 PM
need to deaden my doors finally. i have components and their lacking quality due to no deadning and a lot of wholes in door.
whats the best for a good price?

Eugenics
02-15-2010, 05:19 PM
RAAMaudio (http://www.raamaudio.com/)

Bubblebass
02-15-2010, 05:46 PM

Is one package enough to do 2 doors of BXT II?

Eugenics
02-15-2010, 08:18 PM
i think one package is 37sq feet, right? should be plenty. the bxt2 is what i'd get. and dont feel like you need to do a ton of layers. one should be enough.

basebalz13
02-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Dont go Cheap please. Second Skin, Raamaudio, and Sounddeadnershowdown.com is all good deadner's. My personal preference is Second skin thought ;)

Sir-Lancelot
02-15-2010, 08:50 PM
I have in my Yukon .....Second Skin Damplifier Pro and Dynamat Extreme. They SS is thicker, but they both do the job they are supposed to.
The Raamaudio looks good for the price too.

If I was personally in the market for more, I would give Don at sounddeadnershowdown.com a try. He has changed the deadener belief with his less is more approach and that sure beats the double layer and tripple layer everyone was brainwashed to believe in the past.

Dak446
02-15-2010, 09:01 PM
RaamMat BXT II for sure. It's basically the same stuff as the SS Damp Pro, but much cheaper. Definitely give Rick a call, he'll get you fixed up good

Bubblebass
02-16-2010, 12:17 AM
So R-Blox and FatMat are no good? I am having a hard time justifying $100 for deadening material.......

robertoyoung08
02-16-2010, 12:25 AM
So R-Blox is no good? I am having a hard time justifying $100 for deadening material.......

hahaha exactly, same feelings here. but i guess deadner doesnt have to be super expensive.

Bubblebass
02-16-2010, 12:42 AM
hahaha exactly, same feelings here. but i guess deadner doesnt have to be super expensive.

Got suggestions?

groundpound4200
02-16-2010, 01:10 AM
I wouldnt put anything less than Raammat, Dynamat Extreme, or Second Skin in my car after using lesser products and having multiple massive failures

robertoyoung08
02-16-2010, 01:42 AM
Got suggestions?

lol no... i started the thread, so im in the same boat.. looking for some suggestions and help on a good deadner lol

bose301s
02-16-2010, 02:40 AM
Sound Deadener Showdown - Your Source for Sound Deadening Products and Information (http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com)

Best products out there and the owner will work with you to get optimal results in your car. He also doesn't lie like Second Skin does and recommend multiple layer, 100% coverage when no more than 25% is needed.

Bubblebass
02-16-2010, 11:11 PM
Got a reply from Sound Deadener and Ramaart today. $209 and $134 respectively. I bet they work great. But I will never know........not an f'ing chance I am paying $200. Sorry. I will try Fatmat or R-blox.

I wish I had the money to buy the Sound Deadener Showdown. The guy spent a bunch of time working out exactly how to apply his products. I recomment him to anyone wanting to do a real pro job.

bose301s
02-17-2010, 12:51 AM
Got a reply from Sound Deadener and Ramaart today. $209 and $134 respectively. I bet they work great. But I will never know........not an f'ing chance I am paying $200. Sorry. I will try Fatmat or R-blox.

I wish I had the money to buy the Sound Deadener Showdown. The guy spent a bunch of time working out exactly how to apply his products. I recomment him to anyone wanting to do a real pro job.

Enjoy your disappointment, FatMat and R-blox is ****.

Bubblebass
02-17-2010, 12:57 AM
So you would recommend buying $200 worth of deadener for a $500 system? Would you like to backup those claims that they are no good?

Have you seen/tried all of the deadeners? Maybe I will just go bare doors instead of "enjoying my ****".

robertoyoung08
02-17-2010, 01:01 AM

is this stuff any good? really good prce but ive never heard of it. so idk if its actaully worth buying or if i might as well just spend the extra dollars and get the known brand. ebay has dynamat extreme 36 sq ft for 137 shipped. so thats not bad.

second skin has 36 sq ft for like 160 i think. theirs looks like a good product but it seems like second skin works good when u have the three different layers of deadning. i know its supposed to be thicker than dymanat extreme, but it seems like they push the idea of all three layers of their deadning too much, which makes me think the first layer wont be "an all in one" i need. im not trying to do some crazy pro job, so i just need something all around good.

"raam" is very cheap, but any personal experience with it from u guys?

Eugenics
02-17-2010, 01:11 AM
is this stuff any good? really good prce but ive never heard of it. so idk if its actaully worth buying or if i might as well just spend the extra dollars and get the known brand. ebay has dynamat extreme 36 sq ft for 137 shipped. so thats not bad.

second skin has 36 sq ft for like 160 i think. theirs looks like a good product but it seems like second skin works good when u have the three different layers of deadning. i know its supposed to be thicker than dymanat extreme, but it seems like they push the idea of all three layers of their deadning too much, which makes me think the first layer wont be "an all in one" i need. im not trying to do some crazy pro job, so i just need something all around good.

"raam" is very cheap, but any personal experience with it from u guys?

Its great stuff. plenty thick. i'm buying it myself over dynamat and second skin. ive used dynamat before, not ss. but they're pretty much all the same product. so if its all the same thickness, i'll spend less money. mass deadening is not rocket science. and regardless of what you do, i would read up on sounddeadnershowdown. theres a lot of objective and useful info on there.

and for the record, i dont think fatmat is garbage, but i would get the bxt2 myself and just put one layer, be done with it. you dont need to cover the entire door either, put some on the inner door skin, some on the outer frame.

Bubblebass
02-17-2010, 01:29 AM
Raam says to use the BX2 and then the PS ensolite over it. Is that needed? What's it do?

bose301s
02-17-2010, 01:29 AM
Its great stuff. plenty thick. i'm buying it myself over dynamat and second skin. ive used dynamat before, not ss. but they're pretty much all the same product. so if its all the same thickness, i'll spend less money. mass deadening is not rocket science. and regardless of what you do, i would read up on sounddeadnershowdown. theres a lot of objective and useful info on there.

and for the record, i dont think fatmat is garbage, but i would get the bxt2 myself and just put one layer, be done with it. you dont need to cover the entire door either, put some on the inner door skin, some on the outer frame.

The only problem is that this isn't mass loading. Read the SDS page on their CLD tiles and it explains how it work. Sound Deadener Showdown - Your Source for Sound Deadening Products and Information (http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/products/cld)

Eugenics
02-17-2010, 01:32 AM
The only problem is that this isn't mass loading. Read the SDS page on their CLD tiles and it explains how it work. Sound Deadener Showdown - Your Source for Sound Deadening Products and Information (http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/products/cld)

at any rate, its not rocket science.

Raam says to use the BX2 and then the PS ensolite over it. Is that needed? What's it do?

read sounddeadnershowdown, it explains it all

slim2fattycake
02-17-2010, 01:41 AM
If you want to save money then go read up on Don's site. Technique over excessive coverage. If you really don't care to spend money on good products than go and buy some peel and seal because with those other inferior products you want to get, its going to be the same thing.

robertoyoung08
02-17-2010, 01:44 AM
If you want to save money then go read up on Don's site. Technique over excessive coverage. If you really don't care to spend money on good products than go and buy some peel and seal because with those other inferior products you want to get, its going to be the same thing.

who are you talking to? or what products are you referring to as "inferior"

Highs on bass
02-17-2010, 01:45 AM
i used edead in my doors for some hole filling and my back wall and floors in random places. its cheap. but if u apply it correctly. and make sure if you put it in make sure its in just right. i used 45 sq yards for 63 bucks. serves me well ( when i turn on my defrost on full blast you can feel in your ears the cab begin to pressureize)

schackel
02-17-2010, 01:50 AM
ok so second skin is really good and only requires one layer. anything much cheaper will require 3-4 layers and will cost within 50 buck less.

although this true you will be spending 3 times as long installing it and believe me it is not worth it at all!!!!!

Eugenics
02-17-2010, 01:52 AM
i used edead in my doors for some hole filling and my back wall and floors in random places. its cheap. but if u apply it correctly. and make sure if you put it in make sure its in just right. i used 45 sq yards for 63 bucks. serves me well ( when i turn on my defrost on full blast you can feel in your ears the cab begin to pressureize)

using a eD product... first mistake.

ok so second skin is really good and only requires one layer. anything much cheaper will require 3-4 layers and will cost within 50 buck less.

although this true you will be spending 3 times as long installing it and believe me it is not worth it at all!!!!!

someone has drank the kool-aid

Bubblebass
02-17-2010, 06:43 PM
Just got another email from Don at sounddedenershowdown. He said that if I didn't want to spend that kind of money I could go with the tiles and not the other barriers. This is like what Dynamat or other products would do. He quoted me about 1/2 the cost and gave me all the directions needed to make the install really easy.

My Two Thumbs Up!!!

Gonna get the good stuff for the price of the junk!

Anthony Collova
02-17-2010, 10:51 PM
Thanks for all the support guys!
I appreciate all the kidn words. Even the not so kind words help too!

Mot of the products listed in this thread are prtty good, and will do a solid job of vibration damping.
raammat BXT II
SDS CLD Tiles
Dynamat Extreme
Hushmat
Damplifier
Damplifier Pro
Second Skin SPL Tiles

All very solid options.

The 3 step plan that was mentioned in not a requirement for most car audio guys.
If you are only looking to kill vibrations, or increase SPLT some, then a vibrations damper is all you need.
The other layers come in to play when you are trying to reduce unwanted road noise, engine noise and exhaust drone.
These require the use of a noise barrer.
Car stereo guys usually get away with vibration damping, and maybe some gasketing foam to kill rattles in the upholstery trim.

I am on vacation right now, but I am checking email.
If anyone has any questions I am happy to help, regardless if you use Second Skin or one of the other brands listed.
[email protected]
623-533-8193

ANT