PDA

View Full Version : Just got new Alpine Cda-117

dtbrown
02-14-2010, 09:19 PM
I must say swapping from an Alpine Cda-9885 I'm very impressed with the Cda-117. Finally Alpine bringing back time correction and the selectable parametric or graphic EQ. That's really what my Cda-9885 lacked and what bugged me. Alpine changed the user interface a bit and it's a bit easier to use. Using the supplied usb Iphone interface is excellent and works flawlessly. My Sirius radio works just as good as it did before. And I think it sounds a little better then my Cda-9885.

Only thing that I really wish it had was the bluetooth included. But for a little less then $300 this is a great radio for money especially if you have a iphone or ipod. So anyone with a CDA-9885 or 9886 this is a nice step up.

eharri3
02-19-2010, 11:14 PM
I am a prior owner of a 9883, 9884, and 9886. Also one older Alpine tape deck from 03/04. I was just checking their website since I haven't browsed in awhile. I'm impressed and hoping this means they're thinking of incorporating a better choice of head units with built-in content into their lineup again. Also noticed that the 9884 is gone and the CD 103Bt is now there with built-in bluetooth. Funny coincidence, there really wasn't much meaningful functional difference between the 9886 and 9884 that I could see. And I think they were probably the only mainstream manufacturer left that didn't have an option for people who wanted BT built in instead of through a 200 dollar-plus add-on module. Still not enough choices there for my tastes but good on 'em for making some strides to fix some glaring problems with their line-up. I think this will only lead to better things.

It's still not enough to make me get rid of my Pioneer with built time alignment, 16 band graphic, IPOD capability, and built in bluetooth, but I'll start followimg Alpine again to see what else is in store. For a minute there I thought we'd get down to just a lineup of AM/FM tuners with IMPRINT required at extra charge to unlock everything else including CD playback.

ciberrust
02-20-2010, 12:17 AM
could you please post a video? (youtube) or at least pictures of it?
thanx.

i'm looking forward to see the illum

dtbrown
02-21-2010, 02:47 AM
I am a prior owner of a 9883, 9884, and 9886. Also one older Alpine tape deck from 03/04. I was just checking their website since I haven't browsed in awhile. I'm impressed and hoping this means they're thinking of incorporating a better choice of head units with built-in content into their lineup again. Also noticed that the 9884 is gone and the CD 103Bt is now there with built-in bluetooth. Funny coincidence, there really wasn't much meaningful functional difference between the 9886 and 9884 that I could see. And I think they were probably the only mainstream manufacturer left that didn't have an option for people who wanted BT built in instead of through a 200 dollar-plus add-on module. Still not enough choices there for my tastes but good on 'em for making some strides to fix some glaring problems with their line-up. I think this will only lead to better things.

It's still not enough to make me get rid of my Pioneer with built time alignment, 16 band graphic, IPOD capability, and built in bluetooth, but I'll start followimg Alpine again to see what else is in store. For a minute there I thought we'd get down to just a lineup of AM/FM tuners with IMPRINT required at extra charge to unlock everything else including CD playback.

I 100% agree with you and I would maybe go back to pioneer but everyone pioneer that I've ever owned the RCA ouputs failed due to the way pioneer grounds the RCA ouputs or something along those lines. I actually was considering one of the new pioneers that are coming soon but didn't want to wait. But maybe next year I'll consider pioneer again.

alpineaudio5385
02-21-2010, 09:28 PM
can you post some vids or pics on youtube or something?? im also very interested in this head unit but i cant seem to find anything but reviews and stuff. theres absolutely NO videos on youtube...

dtbrown
02-23-2010, 12:10 AM
I'll see what I can do

dtbrown
02-25-2010, 03:38 AM
Here is a short vid I made.

SANY0660.flv video by dtbrown1978 - Photobucket (http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/dtbrown1978/?action=view&current=SANY0660.flv)

cleansoundzz
02-25-2010, 01:14 PM
I must say swapping from an Alpine Cda-9885 I'm very impressed with the Cda-117. Finally Alpine bringing back time correction and the selectable parametric or graphic EQ. That's really what my Cda-9885 lacked and what bugged me. Alpine changed the user interface a bit and it's a bit easier to use. Using the supplied usb Iphone interface is excellent and works flawlessly. My Sirius radio works just as good as it did before. And I think it sounds a little better then my Cda-9885.

Only thing that I really wish it had was the bluetooth included. But for a little less then $300 this is a great radio for money especially if you have a iphone or ipod. So anyone with a CDA-9885 or 9886 this is a nice step up.

This post is exactly on the money and I confirm everything dtbrown said because i swapped out my CDA 9886 for the CDA 117 and there is a difference. The eq feature is very nice (graphic or parametric), the IPOD capability with alphabet search or percentage search, burr brown 24 bit DSP on the IPOD and general audio, time alighnment, USB feature on the IPOD, sound quality, looks, etc. The CDA 117 is a definite upgrade on the CDA 9886.

alpineaudio5385
02-25-2010, 08:50 PM
dang that head unit is so ******. im definitely gonna try and get my hands on one. thanks for the vid. much respect!!

cleansoundzz
02-26-2010, 12:26 AM
Nice video.

adio25
02-26-2010, 12:36 AM
There's only 2 EQ options?

cleansoundzz
02-26-2010, 01:11 AM
Yeah, there is a 5 band parametric or 7 band graphic equalizaer. If you want the preset eq settings and other options then IMPRINT must be purchased. There are more than enough settings without IMPRINT on this unit that makes the sound quality excellent. This unit has a 24 bit burr brown option on all modes SAT, FM/AM, CD, IPOD, etc. In my opinion the CDA-117 is a true sq head unit and sounds exactly the same as the Pioneer PRS-800 DEH which in itself sounds excellent. This unit is a definite upgrade from the CDA 9886 as stated in an earlier post.

dtbrown
02-26-2010, 04:40 AM
After having the radio for a couple weeks now I'm very impressed. This is Alpines best sounding radio for the money hands down. Playing with the time correction makes such a big difference. Now I just have to use their calculation and see if it sound better then what I set by ear. :)

hatedonmostly
02-26-2010, 07:33 AM
For a minute there I thought we'd get down to just a lineup of AM/FM tuners with IMPRINT required at extra charge to unlock everything else including CD playback.

lol, not too far from the truth. :rolleyes:

AllenH427
02-27-2010, 02:14 AM
Do you think this headunit will ever get to Best Buy?

cleansoundzz
02-27-2010, 10:41 AM
I hope not. Just buy from onlinecarstereo.com, they have a special right now for $267.00 for the unit and $295.00 including shipping. This is Alpine's best sounding unit in the last 10 years and I have owned a lot of Alpine units since 1988. The Alpine CDA-117 will put them back on the map.

CVP71
02-27-2010, 10:47 PM

I almost bought a Pioneer with BT and figured the Alpine had better specs. Anyway, I love it too. I'm really liking the Time Correction. My initial problem was finding the EQ. I was so used to your standard -7 through 7 BASS and TREBLE settings. When I finally found out I had to set each frequency... I shat myself.

I did end up buying the KTP-445 Head Unit Power Pack from them. Sounds great and gets loud. I also bought the KCE-BT400 bluetooth interface. It's great and lets me play Pandora from my IPhone.

Great deck!