PDA

View Full Version : ~~~~ cdt audio vs. Focal audio vs. Image dynamics audio ~~~~

Dlh_tank
02-14-2010, 02:58 PM
I have been looking for 6.5 component sets for the last week, these conclude my search*i hope) I will be powering them with a jl 450/4, mmats mp5 pre amp. Anyhow heres the good,would appreciate advice on the ones you have heard. Thanks. Image dynamics- ctx 65c xs-65 Focal - 165 vr 165 vrs 165vb
A CdT dealer sent these packages to chose from. HD- 26AS aniversary special, COM 626 719.99 HD-62 CF, com 626 899.99 PSS-0626i gold components, com 626 920.00 I listed different models being i will changing my setup to 2 comp. sets instead of 3.

cartablanca
02-14-2010, 03:04 PM
well i recently bought some dls r6a and i am really happy with them. powered them with a cerwin vega amp but just bought Focal Solid 2 amp on friday. and sounds better

Dlh_tank
02-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Have u heard any of these.

cartablanca
02-14-2010, 03:22 PM
i would go with focal. i heard the165vb sounded good with a focal amp

basebalz13
02-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Heard all of those sets before except one of them. They are all great speakers and couldnt go wrong with any of them, However if I had to choose one set, I would choose the CDT PSS-0626i gold components(these things are just phenomal, love the way they sounded, wish I could have kept them :(). And I take it the Com-626 would be for rear fill?

Sir-Lancelot
02-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Focal or ID.

I have not liked any CDT comps that I have heard.

Dlh_tank
02-14-2010, 04:29 PM
which have u heard

basebalz13
02-14-2010, 04:33 PM
Focal or ID.

I have not liked any CDT comps that I have heard.

which have u heard

Yes, please tell me which sets you have heard...in what kinda install...

Dak446
02-14-2010, 09:53 PM
I have 4 sets of the CDT CF speakers. They're great. For the price, the output couldn't be better. They'll take alot of power, and stay clean while doing it. They are pretty efficient, too, so it doesn't take too much power to get em going. I absolutely love the tweeters, too. They're not harsh AT ALL, but can get obnoxiously loud. So if you do decide to go w/ the CDT's, you will be happy ;)

Sir-Lancelot
02-14-2010, 10:00 PM
Yes, please tell me which sets you have heard...in what kinda install...

I do not know model numbers and I cant speak about the install.

Both sets I listened to were in the factory locations. They were loud as hell, but I did not care for the tweeter. It was ear piercing and not enjoyable.
CDT makes like 100 different sets of comps so maybe some are better than others, but I did not care for those 2 personally.

Dlh_tank
02-15-2010, 12:35 AM
Runnning into a wallllllllll here one more say,im done.

Maglite
02-15-2010, 01:17 AM
I run the Focal 165 KF. Great sound very detaied. I have them off axis in my convertible and love them.

I've heard the ID CXS64 (in car). Very nice sound (great midbass) but the Focal tweeter seems a little more "refined". I also think the Focal mid is "tighter" sounding than the ID. The Id seems a bit too "punchy" for my taste.

Can't comment on the CDT.

misfit138
02-15-2010, 01:19 AM
well i recently bought some dls r6a and i am really happy with them. powered them with a cerwin vega amp but just bought Focal Solid 2 amp on friday. and sounds better

Hmmm. You bought, installed, evaluated and replaced that CV amp in like 2 days, huh?

Bumpin' Goalie
02-15-2010, 01:21 AM
I currently own the Focal 165VB's. They are accurate and get loud off not too much power. Though rated for 75w rms, i give them 150 from my JL 300/2 and they are taking it well. The tweets are bright. But not the harshest out there. Overall enjoyable. Though, once again, quite bright.

basebalz13
02-15-2010, 07:45 PM
I do not know model numbers and I cant speak about the install.

Both sets I listened to were in the factory locations. They were loud as hell, but I did not care for the tweeter. It was ear piercing and not enjoyable.
CDT makes like 100 different sets of comps so maybe some are better than others, but I did not care for those 2 personally.

You must be mistaken. CDT Tweeters are FAR from harsh. He must have something set up wrong, or wasnt using a CDT Tweeter. I HATE bright tweeters with a passion, so I would know. ;)

Johnny Law.Lulz
02-15-2010, 07:49 PM
You must be mistaken. CDT Tweeters are FAR from harsh. He must have something set up wrong, or wasnt using a CDT Tweeter. I HATE bright tweeters with a passion, so I would know. ;)

You also sell CDT so wouldnt that make you bias ?

papermaker
02-15-2010, 07:49 PM
there all pretty different sets.. the CDT is transparent, the drt 26s and the es6 are a great set.. the focal is a great set as well, but the tweeters are just to brite to be considered musical(the new t52 and t53 are nice thought) the midbass is very nice thought.. the IDs are a great set the tweeter isn't quite as nice as the drt26 but its great and the midbass is very nice as well its better than the cdt off axis.... if you do stock locations Id say ID, if your going to do on axis CDT..

basebalz13
02-15-2010, 07:52 PM
there all pretty different sets.. the CDT is transparent, the drt 26s and the es6 are a great set.. the focal is a great set as well, but the tweeters are just to brite to be considered musical(the new t52 and t53 are nice thought) the midbass is very nice thought.. the IDs are a great set the tweeter isn't quite as nice as the drt26 but its great and the midbass is very nice as well its better than the cdt off axis.... if you do stock locations Id say ID, if your going to do on axis CDT..

That is very true, I didnt ask if he was doing stock locations.

basebalz13
02-15-2010, 07:53 PM
You also sell CDT so wouldnt that make you bias ?

Do you see me trying to sell him anything? No...He asked for opinons. I have heard all of those except for 1 set so I am giving my opinon...

Johnny Law.Lulz
02-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Do you see me trying to sell him anything? No...He asked for opinons. I have heard all of those except for 1 set so I am giving my opinon...

I highly doubt you would go against what you sell, whether your trying to sell him them or not, thats like me telling him to buy a Warden instead of a 95z because its what i run. Im not saying you are wrong cuz i dont care about CDT or ID, im not a SQ guy, im just playing devils advocate here.

statonburrell
02-15-2010, 07:57 PM
sq is amazing at 140+ db :fyi:

Johnny Law.Lulz
02-15-2010, 07:59 PM
sq is amazing at 140+ db :fyi:

SQ is the least of my concern. My Earthquakes sound great to me :fyi:

statonburrell
02-15-2010, 08:01 PM
there wouldn't be enough room to do an SQ build in your truck.

basebalz13
02-15-2010, 08:05 PM
I highly doubt you would go against what you sell, whether your trying to sell him them or not, thats like me telling him to buy a Warden instead of a 95z because its what i run. Im not saying you are wrong cuz i dont care about CDT or ID, im not a SQ guy, im just playing devils advocate here.

Stop playing devils advocate. You are wrong. I dont only sell/recommend CDT. For his price range I can think of another set that would be in the ranks with these sets also. But the OP asked for a comparison between these 3. Luckily for him I have heard most of them. Please read post number 5 thorougly "Heard all of those sets before except one of them. They are all great speakers and couldnt go wrong with any of them, However if I had to choose one set...."

As you can see I said they are all great sets.

Johnny Law.Lulz
02-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Stop playing devils advocate. You are wrong. I dont only sell/recommend CDT. For his price range I can think of another set that would be in the ranks with these sets also. But the OP asked for a comparison between these 3. Luckily for him I have heard most of them. Please read post number 5 thorougly "Heard all of those sets before except one of them. They are all great speakers and couldnt go wrong with any of them, However if I had to choose one set...."

As you can see I said they are all great sets.

Im not wrong. I havnt said anything wrong in this thread :fyi:

papermaker
02-15-2010, 08:08 PM
That is very true, I didnt ask if he was doing stock locations.the CDTs are excellent on axis.. ESP for the price big problem with CDT are there xovers.. active on axis there top 5 of the best sets.
other than that off axis down low they lack output and sound pretty dull honestly... where as the ID and focal do much better off axis...

Johnny Law.Lulz
02-15-2010, 08:12 PM
I would like to know what the OP's goals are for his components, hell i could toss my Earthquakes in this conversation because he hasnt posted goals. Is he looking for uber SQ, SPL type comps to keep up with a sub stage. What are we doing here.

basebalz13
02-15-2010, 08:13 PM
the CDTs are excellent on axis.. ESP for the price big problem with CDT are there xovers.. active on axis there top 5 of the best sets.
other than that off axis down low they lack output and sound pretty dull honestly... where as the ID and focal do much better off axis...

Yes, the cross-overs to lack. However changes has been made :). When was the last time you got a set with cross-overs? curious if you have used the new ones yet. ALOT better IMO

basebalz13
02-15-2010, 08:16 PM
I would like to know what the OP's goals are for his components, hell i could toss my Earthquakes in this conversation because he hasnt posted goals. Is he looking for uber SQ, SPL type comps to keep up with a sub stage. What are we doing here.

He is looking for a componenet set with SQ...look at the sets he is asking about. something with clarity, good response, accurate mid-bass, and still get decently loud.

Sir-Lancelot
02-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Fair enough or maybe they were hard dome. Like I said not my install and I do not know model numbers.
CDT has more sets on the market than I could ever listen to. lol

edit to add this in reply to baseballz.