PDA

View Full Version : Figure out if car alarm works without working remote?

Lonnie
02-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Well yea just got a car off a guy a couple days ago. Gave me a remote that model # matches for a 2002 grand am GT. WHICH is what it is so yea. Took it apart to change battery...the battery terminals/connector things were broke...so I resoldered it to see if it would work. Well yea...took it to a dealership and they said the remote doesnt work.

Its $20 for a new remote online and $35 to get it programmed to car IF it has a working alarm. I have no idea if the Alarm works or if it even has one. Is their any way to figure out if it works?

Dont want to spend $55 on something that might not even work...ya know?

x1le
02-13-2010, 12:06 AM
put the driver side window down, open the door, lock the car, then close the door. after a couple mins, open the car from the inside and see if it alarm go's off.

however, it's also possible alarm is only activated with factory keyfob.

edit: looked up your car and there is no factory alarm. it's most likely just a remote for keyless entry.

Lonnie
02-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Isnt their a option to have a factory car alarm? You just looked up if it was standard or not right? What if the person that bought it had the option for the dealership to have it installed?

x1le
02-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Isnt their a option to have a factory car alarm? You just looked up if it was standard or not right? What if the person that bought it had the option for the dealership to have it installed?

Both of my resources list no factory alarm or disarm wires at all.

but do what I said and see what happens.

Lonnie
02-13-2010, 01:11 PM
Both of my resources list no factory alarm or disarm wires at all.

but do what I said and see what happens.

Ok did it and it didnt work. REALLY need an alarm before I put a system in now since you can pop the trunk simply by opening the door lmao.