PDA

View Full Version : Need help with choosing Focal components!!! ASAP - Will special order tomorrow!!!

igoreknyc
02-12-2010, 07:52 PM
Hi, I'm about to redo my audio setup. I chose to stick with Focals because of their famed quality and because they are actually made in France, versus stuff like DLS which is Swedish but is made in China or Taiwan.

I'm considering either 165VR or 165VR3 for front sound stage. Would VR3 be a wise investment? It's a 3 way but I'll have to cut the doors for the midrange.

Also, I'm considering 165CVX for rear sound stage. They should match the VR series perfectly.

Powering them will be a Focal Solid 4 amp. Sounds like it's made for these components anyway.

Please let me know which model of these would be a smart buy. I try not to cut costs when it comes to quality, but if you think the 3 way is not feasible in this case... Have to make up my mind by tomorrow (going to the Focal dealer).

Thanks!

death metal
02-12-2010, 08:37 PM
why not mount the mids in the a-pillar?

igoreknyc
02-12-2010, 09:26 PM
that's not a bad idea... then I would have to cut the a-pillars, which could easily be replaced from the junkyard!!! Thanks!!

What do you think about the prices? VR is around $400, VR3 should be in the vicinity of $700... sonicelectronix has them for $400, but obviously they are not in stock! That's almost double the price... Hopefully, the focal dealer will offer some sort of break. If you know where I could get them cheaper, please let me know!!!

igoreknyc
02-12-2010, 10:05 PM
forgot to mention - i have an '09 accord... that's why I'm reluctant to cut...

death metal
02-12-2010, 11:03 PM
that's not a bad idea... then I would have to cut the a-pillars, which could easily be replaced from the junkyard!!! Thanks!!

What do you think about the prices? VR is around $400, VR3 should be in the vicinity of $700... sonicelectronix has them for $400, but obviously they are not in stock! That's almost double the price... Hopefully, the focal dealer will offer some sort of break. If you know where I could get them cheaper, please let me know!!!

not authorised but you can check out woofersect.com

Hoodlum007
02-13-2010, 12:25 AM
why not ditch the rears and put the money towards better comps for the front like the Polykevlar 165K2p's?

igoreknyc
02-13-2010, 09:05 AM
why not ditch the rears and put the money towards better comps for the front like the Polykevlar 165K2p's?

Sounds tempting... I'm still learining about car audio, so I figured I'd need matching speakers in the back. 165CVX are Polyglass. My car is a coupe, so obviously no one really cares about what's in the rear. Nevertheless, I have garbage Pioneer 6.5 in the rear right now. The focal amp will smoke them. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

igoreknyc
02-13-2010, 09:09 AM
Actually... If I were to stick with a $700-750 budget for the front, I would probably get Esotec System 242 GT - Dynaudio 6.5" 2 Way Component Speakers. They are supposed to me more accurate than focals for the price

igoreknyc
02-13-2010, 09:13 AM
in any case... 165CA1 - Focal 6.5" 2 Way Coaxial Speakers are $100 cheaper than CVX. maybe it makes more sense to throw them in the rear

igoreknyc
02-13-2010, 05:06 PM
Got a sweet offer from the Focal dealer - brand new k3p's for $700... Dealer suggested that I put the tweeter and midrange in the front doors and the bass components in the rear. It's cheating, but I suppose I could get away with it, right??? Now, I would need a 2 channel amp with that... trying to decide between JL Audio 300/2v2 or Audison LRX... Suggestions?

Thanks.