PDA

View Full Version : Ported Box Help



azphat12
02-09-2010, 02:27 AM
2000 Ford Explorer 4 door

These are the dimensions I have to work with. The box has to be these dimensions or smaller...if possible.
W - 40" max
H - 18" preferred
D - 30"

Here is a link to a screen shot I took of RE box design...showing 1 woofer. I would build think to build 2 boxes, except share the top/bottom panels? Make those the full width?

http://www.darkaftermath.com/portedbox.jpeg

I will be using 2 12" JL Audio 12w3v2 DVC 2 OHM Subwoofers.

I have read a lot of different plans, including the one from JL. I have also used the RE calculator. I am just unsure of what they say, and do not want to build a box wrong simply because I misunderstood and calculated wrong....

This will be my first ported box. so many of the values I do not understand. However, I do want to build this enclosure.....just need some help.

I should add I listen to 80% rap/bass music and the other 20% rock/metal type. I do value SQ, but also want it rockin. I am not doing this for competition, just for my personal enjoyment.

Thanks in advance everyone!

on1wheel01
02-09-2010, 02:41 AM
Those dimensions with a 8" wide port tuned to 30 hz is 7 cubes wya way to much space for those subs maybe if u had 2 more it would be good. I would tune 30-35 for daily. Subs up port back ftw.

on1wheel01
02-09-2010, 02:43 AM
I'd do 20" deep with a 5" port tuned to 32 hz thats 5 cubes still a bit big but would be much better

azphat12
02-09-2010, 03:40 AM
Those dimensions are my cars MAX dimensions. Mainly the width. 41" and you hit the wheel well, so need it 40" or smaller. The depth isnt an issue. The height, I like 16-18" only so it doesnt go over my rear seats. I think 18" is as high as I would like.

So basically I have 40" wide, 18" high are my constraints. Depth is negotiable. From the screen shot above you can see the basic idea...however I have NO IDEA if that would be a good fit or not. That is where im stuck....not sure of the calculator and do not want to spend the money on the MDF/Sealant and get it wrong.

Also not sure what to tune it at. JL recommended 30.8....but I see alot of people saying 35...

on1wheel01
02-09-2010, 04:12 AM
30-35 is good for daily you can always just do 32 and be good.

azphat12
02-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Anyone else willing to help? I do not need all the cuts, just the outside dimensions / port dimensions. I can do all the cuts based of 3/4 MDF