PDA

View Full Version : Need a new HU desperately and i got $250 to spend

mendon mafia
02-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Im looking at the pioneer 710bt (premier model) which i can get for $250 shipped but i really want something more sq oriented but has lots of features like the 710.

Things i like about the 710bt:
-includes everything you need (BT remote, BT mic, ipod cord, remote, harness, etc)
-2 year warranty (huge plus)
-has really good BT mic and BT steering wheel remote
-has direct ipod control with search feature
-Ipod passenger control mode
-4 volt preouts (3 sets is a must)
-dual usb inputs in the rear (dual is important here, so is rear so i can hide cords)
-aux input in rear (dont really care about dual but single is nice, rear still important)
-itunes tagging
-7 band graphic eq
-high pass filter for speakers
-low pass filter for subs
- few other things im sure

Thingsi DONT like bout the 710bt:
-only 8fs/16bit processor would rather have 24bit brown burr
-flap down face for cd player (slot in would be nicer)
-only blue in color (aqua gauges)
- price (costs 250 shipped which is my max budget)
-no card remote (not sure if regular card remotes will work or not)
-no time delay correction

Is there any deck that has all the features i like in the 710 but with all the things i dont like included?

Am i making to big of a deal about the processor and time delay? ive heard that its pretty much inaudible but then ive heard it makes a huge difference so im not sure what to believe.

Im not opposed to double din or a screen but i doubt i can afford either.

CarAudioNewbie9
02-08-2010, 06:11 PM
I got a new Kenwood x693.

mendon mafia
02-08-2010, 07:07 PM
I got a new Kenwood x693.

single usb.
3 band parametric eq
no steering wheel remote.

it does have variable color disp
24 bit processor

not sure what else it has but does it come with all the ipod cord and the harness. what about warranty?

1hawaii50
02-08-2010, 08:27 PM
You can get the Kenwood Excelon X993 for $219.99 shipped with a 2 year warranty from Sonicelectronix.com here:
KENWOOD EXCELON KDC-X993 CD MP3 CAR STEREO W/ BLUETOOTH - eBay (item 360230898105 end time Mar-01-10 19:53:18 PST) (http://cgi.ebay.com/KENWOOD-EXCELON-KDC-X993-CD-MP3-CAR-STEREO-W-BLUETOOTH_W0QQitemZ360230898105QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ Car_Audio_In_Dash_Receivers?hash=item53df6f49b9)

It has a 24 bit Wolfson DAC, integrated Ipod controller, bluetooth calling, and is compatible with oem steering wheel controls.

mendon mafia
02-08-2010, 08:33 PM
You can get the Kenwood Excelon X993 for $219.99 shipped with a 2 year warranty from Sonicelectronix.com here:
KENWOOD EXCELON KDC-X993 CD MP3 CAR STEREO W/ BLUETOOTH - eBay (item 360230898105 end time Mar-01-10 19:53:18 PST) (http://cgi.ebay.com/KENWOOD-EXCELON-KDC-X993-CD-MP3-CAR-STEREO-W-BLUETOOTH_W0QQitemZ360230898105QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ Car_Audio_In_Dash_Receivers?hash=item53df6f49b9)

It has a 24 bit Wolfson DAC, integrated Ipod controller, bluetooth calling, and is compatible with oem steering wheel controls.

thats a good deal and all but i wont ever buy from sonix again, they screwed me over to many times

1hawaii50
02-08-2010, 09:53 PM
thats a good deal and all but i wont ever buy from sonix again, they screwed me over to many times

Sorry to hear that. I've purchased quite a bit of stuff from them, and I've never had a problem. I even had an RMA issue, and they handled it without a hitch.

cebbeler7
02-09-2010, 12:27 AM
I'd say go eclipse but they just kinda tanked

mendon mafia
02-09-2010, 03:41 AM
I'd say go eclipse but they just kinda tanked
i want an eclipse badly ive heard they sound amazing but they dont have lots of features unless you pay out the butthole for them

mendon mafia
02-09-2010, 11:51 PM
anyone got any other input here?

I would really like to know if im going to miss much sq wise if i dont get the 24 bit processor and the time delay feature. other than that the pioneer is pretty much perfect for me.i can live with the flap face, blue, and no card remote.

dbeez
02-09-2010, 11:52 PM
eclipse 7200, i currently have an eclipse 8445 and love it but everything has a price..

misfit138
02-10-2010, 12:05 AM
I've always preferred Alpine and Eclipse.

Adding another $30 or $40 will get you in the neighborhood of the Alpine CDA-9887, which is a hell of a nice cd player. The Eclipse CD5030 and CD5100 are both nice options as well, and they fit your budget...

misfit138
02-10-2010, 12:06 AM
eclipse 7200

dbeez
02-10-2010, 12:11 AM
i figured you would like that misfit

mendon mafia
02-10-2010, 01:18 AM
I've always preferred Alpine and Eclipse.

Adding another $30 or $40 will get you in the neighborhood of the Alpine CDA-9887, which is a hell of a nice cd player. The Eclipse CD5030 and CD5100 are both nice options as well, and they fit your budget...

that alpine had no usb input and only has optional aux. I really want both of those. The eclipse 7200 is way out of my price range and has no internal amp for my rears which i also like to run sometimes. The 5030 dosnt have direct ipod which is a complete MUST since 99% of the time i use my ipod.

I want some honest opinions if the 24bit and time delay are worth paying 50% more for because I have been happy with my old pioneer before but it did have a fuzz sound that got louder with the volume when songs were paused or before the song actually starts playing that irritated me and i dont know what caused it but i dont want to deal with it again.

d77543020
02-10-2010, 01:28 AM
was told this was a real good deck i just got one Pioneer DEH-P780MP Car CD/ MP3 Player w/ Remote, Case - eBay (item 150411501186 end time Feb-11-10 17:01:33 PST) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150411501186&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT)

misfit138
02-10-2010, 01:52 AM
that alpine had no usb input and only has optional aux. I really want both of those. The eclipse 7200 is way out of my price range and has no internal amp for my rears which i also like to run sometimes. The 5030 dosnt have direct ipod which is a complete MUST since 99% of the time i use my ipod.

Did you fail to shoot down the CD5100 because of it's lack of Bluetooth, or did you not notice that I mentioned it at all?

Johnny Law.Lulz
02-10-2010, 02:05 AM
The 9886 has a USB so why wouldnt the 9887 ??

hatedonmostly
02-10-2010, 02:10 AM

I want some honest opinions if the 24bit and time delay are worth paying 50% more for because I have been happy with my old pioneer before but it did have a fuzz sound that got louder with the volume when songs were paused or before the song actually starts playing that irritated me and i dont know what caused it but i dont want to deal with it again.

Why do you need USB and aux? lol

hatedonmostly
02-10-2010, 02:10 AM
Did you fail to shoot down the CD5100 because of it's lack of Bluetooth, or did you not notice that I mentioned it at all?

BT can be done with this if you buy the adapter...

mendon mafia
02-10-2010, 02:11 AM

Bt is just the beginning. has no direct ipod included, and its not 24 bit. im really looking for a deck that has the features on the 710bt but with a 24 bit processor and time delay. that would be my ideal deck and if it dosnt hiss when the volume is up and the track is just beginning or paused or ending which is simply masked by the music like my 590ib used to do.

I must say the gps on the cd5100 is pretty sweet tho.

misfit138
02-10-2010, 02:16 AM
BT can be done with this if you buy the adapter...

I never noticed. Probably because I'm not worried about Bluetooth..or aux...or usb...or HD radio...or any other **** like that when I'm picking out a cd player. :)

mendon mafia
02-10-2010, 02:17 AM
Why do you need USB and aux? lol

playing from friends mp3 players and usb drives.

I wont buy an deck if i need an adapter since that costs $ and takes up space behind my dash which is already limited.

The 9886 has a USB so why wouldnt the 9887 ??

couldnt tell ya but crutchfield say it dosnt have it. its to expensive anyways.

Can anyone just flat out tell me if its worth the extra 50% more in cost to get the 24 bit and time delay. Will that (24 bit) eliminate the hiss at high volumes or does that happen always.

misfit138
02-10-2010, 02:22 AM
I've lost interest in this thread. :)

1hawaii50
02-10-2010, 06:43 AM
I've already given you the link for the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993. It has the Wolfson 24 Bit DAC (some say it has better sound quality than the Burr-Brown DAC), it has built in bluetooth, Aux, and USB. It has 4 volt pre-outs...not the best, but not the worst either. It also has Dual Zone, and Digital Time Alignment. Lastly, if you go here:
Bing shopping (http://www.bing.com/shopping/pages/howtouse.aspx)
You will then get the Excelon KDC-X993 for $219.99, and you will get $20 back from the cashback program. Total is $200 for the head unit.
You'll also have a 2 year warranty through SonicElectronix. I know some people don't care for Sonic. I have never had an issue with them, and their ratings over at resellerratings.com are actually very good. The Kenwood X993 has it all over the Pioneer 710. Remember too that the Pioneers use the Pico fuse. I've not had any problems with mine, but there are MANY here who have.

hatedonmostly
02-10-2010, 06:51 AM
I never noticed. Probably because I'm not worried about Bluetooth..or aux...or usb...or HD radio...or any other **** like that when I'm picking out a cd player. :)

BT is a nice feature. But meh. Aux is pointless if you have USB, imo; and USB is a great feature. I don't use CD's or listen to the radio.

mclerico83
02-10-2010, 03:33 PM
cd's are the best sq, only authentic music, i use exact rips of lossless only, no compressed crap 4 me.

mendon mafia
02-10-2010, 05:21 PM
forget which deck for a minute. can anyone tell me why i have fuzz in my music before the track starts playing, when paused and when the track fades out, i cant remember if it happes on cd's or not but definately happened with my direct ipod connection. im sure the fuzz is there always but it is masked by the music when its playing. the fuzz gets louder with the volume.

I've already given you the link for the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993. It has the Wolfson 24 Bit DAC (some say it has better sound quality than the Burr-Brown DAC), it has built in bluetooth, Aux, and USB. It has 4 volt pre-outs...not the best, but not the worst either. It also has Dual Zone, and Digital Time Alignment. Lastly, if you go here:
Bing shopping (http://www.bing.com/shopping/pages/howtouse.aspx)
You will then get the Excelon KDC-X993 for $219.99, and you will get $20 back from the cashback program. Total is $200 for the head unit.
You'll also have a 2 year warranty through SonicElectronix. I know some people don't care for Sonic. I have never had an issue with them, and their ratings over at resellerratings.com are actually very good. The Kenwood X993 has it all over the Pioneer 710. Remember too that the Pioneers use the Pico fuse. I've not had any problems with mine, but there are MANY here who have.

This deck is nice and all but i NEED direct ipod control, thats where the vast majority of my music comes from, this optional bull aint gonna fly with me. also sonix has lost me as a customer forever. they took 12 weeks to repair my old pioneer and something else that i cant remember but it was terrible service and i will never buy from them unless there giving stuff away.

hatedonmostly
02-10-2010, 05:28 PM
cd's are the best sq, only authentic music, i use exact rips of lossless only, no compressed crap 4 me.

How so? What makes them better than lossless on a USB or other digital media? Not trying to flame, but actually wondering how much validity that statement holds.

forget which deck for a minute. can anyone tell me why i have fuzz in my music before the track starts playing, when paused and when the track fades out, i cant remember if it happes on cd's or not but definately happened with my direct ipod connection. im sure the fuzz is there always but it is masked by the music when its playing. the fuzz gets louder with the volume.

I believe that's just typical RCA noise. My decks have always made that noise...

mendon mafia
02-10-2010, 05:42 PM
I believe that's just typical RCA noise. My decks have always made that noise...

so 24 bit or not i will still have this issue? I even have ground loop isolators and it still does it.

hatedonmostly
02-10-2010, 06:11 PM
I don't know, I've just dealt with it since it can't be heard with the music playing.

But if you find out, let me know, I'd love to figure it out.

mendon mafia
02-10-2010, 07:36 PM
what do you guys think about the JVC KD-R900. it has 24 bit. BT, variable colors, front and rear usb, front aux, passenger ipod control (control through ipod or h/u), 5volt preouts and everything else.

only a few things it has that im not a fan of, the 3 band parametric EQ and it dosnt have the eeq restoration of high frequencies (not sure if this really does ne thing, i dont think my 590ib had it) but i think an external eq would solve this issue and would give me much more control than 7 bands anyways. also you need to use you own ipod cord to direct connect so i would need another one to keep in my car but thats only a small expense. also no itunes tagging but its $50 less than the pioneer i think i can stick with my pen and paper like ive always done to save $50 that should fund my extra ipod cord too.

I think it has everything else i wanted like hp and lp filters but it only has a 1 year warranty but i can get 3 year protection for $25 so it still less than the pioneer.

Any thoughts, too good to be true?

brynm
02-10-2010, 08:46 PM
=mendon mafia;6959665

This deck is nice and all but i NEED direct ipod control, thats where the vast majority of my music comes from, this optional bull aint gonna fly with me. also sonix has lost me as a customer forever. they took 12 weeks to repair my old pioneer and something else that i cant remember but it was terrible service and i will never buy from them unless there giving stuff away.

The KDC-x993 doesn't need an adapter for ipods, just uses a regular ipod cable. Eclipse CD5030 as well.

1hawaii50
02-10-2010, 09:46 PM

I'm not sure what optional bull you're talking about. The X993 has direct Ipod control. If you don't like Sonic, then Crutchfield has it for $270. They always have a $20 off coupon floating around, so you're still at your $250 limit.

mendon mafia
02-10-2010, 09:52 PM
The KDC-x993 doesn't need an adapter for ipods, just uses a regular ipod cable. Eclipse CD5030 as well.

ok so thats just like the jvc only i found the jvc for $180 shipped and i dont have to buy from sonix.

The eclipse 5030 is very tempting but it dosnt have a 24 bit dac... has everything else tho besides dual usb inputs. The only deck with true dual usb is the pioneer still because the jvc needs to have a usb dongle installed for BT functionality but its included.

I found the eclipse for $220 shipped. same as the kenwood but i wont buy from sonix so it will cost me 250 shipped. the pioneer is 250 shipped and the jvc is 180- shipped

So basically the jvc is the same as the kenwood except the kenwood has the EEQ to restore the high frequency range i cant tell if the jcv does the kenwood also has time alingnment, but the JVC has 5 volt preouts vs the Kenwoods 4v also the kenwood seems hard to navigate with the main nob being on the wrong side.

Cant tell if the Eclipse has the EEQ or not either my guess is it does but who knows. i think in the end the cheapest deck will be the one i choose since there all basically the same.

the one feature that the JVC lacks is the time alignment but ive never had this before and im not entirely convinced i need this. no one seems to be able to claim its worth it. Besides time alignment and eeq the jvc has it all.

IDk i keep wavering between the decks they all seem so good but my ideal deck dosnt quite exist yet. id love to wait but i dont have a HU and need one by march 1 since thats when im putting my car back on the road

brynm
02-10-2010, 10:24 PM
Well I can tell you that I have a 3 year old JVC KD-G820 like this:

http://www.autotoys.com/pics/KDG820.jpg

Overall I've been happy with it, the only pick I have is that the sub control doesn't allow you to turn off the crossover. I have a couple of great amps that I can adjust everything on ( crossover point and slope) using a remote, but the only options I have on the HU are 80/120/160 hz. It would have been nice to have the ability to send a full signal and let my amps do the work.

brynm
02-10-2010, 10:26 PM
And I just noticed they still use the exact same remote.

Louisiana_CRX
02-10-2010, 10:29 PM
is this a repoast :confused:

dizint
02-10-2010, 10:37 PM
i am also trying to decide between Eclipse cd5030 JVC kd-r900, and possibly kenwood kdc-x994 when it comes out...

mendon mafia
02-10-2010, 11:05 PM
i am also trying to decide between Eclipse cd5030 JVC kd-r900, and possibly kenwood kdc-x994 when it comes out...

ive notice the pioneer and the kenwood are not in your choices. why is that?

dizint
02-10-2010, 11:11 PM
for some reason i am not finding pioneer to my likeness. i did list kenwood - the upcoming x994. i am not into spl or competition, just want good sound, and relative ease of use.

mendon mafia
02-10-2010, 11:16 PM
for some reason i am not finding pioneer to my likeness. i did list kenwood - the upcoming x994. i am not into spl or competition, just want good sound, and relative ease of use.

not sure about the new pioneer 710bt but my 590ib was super easy to use and very simple, one of the reasons i loved it so much and why i want the 710bt so badly. It was the best sounding deck ive ever heard but it was also the most expensive one ive ever heard by about $80 too so i cant really be a good judge. On of my friends has a really high end eclipse but he uses the HU for power on some jl comps and has ****** kicker comp subs so it dosnt do it any justice im sure.

well i mean the x994 is not out yet so i was just saying i cant really put that into my choices. Ive read several reviews of the x993 and i guess its really hard to use which really turns me off to it and also ive heard the eclipse is not ecactly simple but w.o using either myself i cannot say for sure. I just really hate the idea of having the main nob on the right hand side of the deck like the x993 does.

1hawaii50
02-10-2010, 11:21 PM
I had the X693 in my Taurus before I sold the car. A lot of reviews for that H/U said it was very difficult to navigate. After playing with it for a day or two, I didn't find it difficult at all.

mendon mafia
02-10-2010, 11:28 PM
I had the X693 in my Taurus before I sold the car. A lot of reviews for that H/U said it was very difficult to navigate. After playing with it for a day or two, I didn't find it difficult at all.

bunch of the reviews i read said you need to wait in between selecting menus and such but im trying to watch some vids to see what they are talking about. I might head over to best buy and just play with some decks but i dont know if they even have any of these.

they also say the nob is hard to push directly centered throwing you into a different menu if you mess up.

1hawaii50
02-11-2010, 06:35 AM
bunch of the reviews i read said you need to wait in between selecting menus and such but im trying to watch some vids to see what they are talking about. I might head over to best buy and just play with some decks but i dont know if they even have any of these.

they also say the nob is hard to push directly centered throwing you into a different menu if you mess up.

Well, I've currently got the Pioneer Premier DEH-P980BT, and I just ordered the Excelon KDC-X993. It should be here early next week. The Pioneer models also have the single rotary command knob...everything has to be accessed via the knob. Occasionally with my P980, I've found that while trying to use the knob, I end up in the wrong menu because instead of pushing straight in, I rocked it slightly sideways. Not a big deal for me, I just back back out of the menu and try again. I've found that for me, I'm not typically trying to scroll through a bunch of menus while I'm driving. I turn the radio on, or pop in a CD, or now, plug in the Ipod, and off I go. Most of my initial settings (crossover/slope/EQ) are setup as soon as I install the unit. The only thing I may need to change while driving is the radio station, or song track...and that's easy enough.

The reason I'm going to try the X993, is because of my Ipod. I got a Nano 5g for Christmas. I'll need to buy the Ipod controller breakout box for the Pioneer, and it WON'T charge a 5g Nano, so I'd have to buy a separate adapter for that...total cost for the 2 is around $170 shipped to me. For $200 shipped to me, I should be all set with the X993! Also, the X993 will play the Ipod files through the Wolfson 24 Bit DAC, bypassing the Ipod's DAC.

I almost bought an Eclipse CD7200MkII, but I couldn't justify the cost. I'm glad I didn't buy it, now that it looks like Eclipse is getting out of the market.

You're doing the right thing by doing your research before you buy. You may find that you may need to make a few concessions though...at a $250 price point, the PERFECT H/U (for you) may not exist.

hatedonmostly
02-11-2010, 06:58 AM
I almost bought an Eclipse CD7200MkII, but I couldn't justify the cost. I'm glad I didn't buy it, now that it looks like Eclipse is getting out of the market.

What makes you say that? The interpretation that they are getting out of the market because their products are no good, or because with them out of the market, support for their units will be dropped? :confused:

mendon mafia
02-11-2010, 08:47 AM
What makes you say that? The interpretation that they are getting out of the market because their products are no good, or because with them out of the market, support for their units will be dropped? :confused:

me personally is worried about the support.

mendon mafia
02-11-2010, 09:02 AM
Well, I've currently got the Pioneer Premier DEH-P980BT, and I just ordered the Excelon KDC-X993. It should be here early next week. The Pioneer models also have the single rotary command knob...everything has to be accessed via the knob. Occasionally with my P980, I've found that while trying to use the knob, I end up in the wrong menu because instead of pushing straight in, I rocked it slightly sideways. Not a big deal for me, I just back back out of the menu and try again. I've found that for me, I'm not typically trying to scroll through a bunch of menus while I'm driving. I turn the radio on, or pop in a CD, or now, plug in the Ipod, and off I go. Most of my initial settings (crossover/slope/EQ) are setup as soon as I install the unit. The only thing I may need to change while driving is the radio station, or song track...and that's easy enough.

The reason I'm going to try the X993, is because of my Ipod. I got a Nano 5g for Christmas. I'll need to buy the Ipod controller breakout box for the Pioneer, and it WON'T charge a 5g Nano, so I'd have to buy a separate adapter for that...total cost for the 2 is around $170 shipped to me. For $200 shipped to me, I should be all set with the X993! Also, the X993 will play the Ipod files through the Wolfson 24 Bit DAC, bypassing the Ipod's DAC.

You're doing the right thing by doing your research before you buy. You may find that you may need to make a few concessions though...at a $250 price point, the PERFECT H/U (for you) may not exist.

Yes i must say i have had the same problem with my pioneer but it was a rare occurrence and the fact that the commander is on the drivers side makes much more sense i can hardly reach my hu as it is, my seat is all the way back and my car is pretty big so i usually need to sit up a bit to reach the deck already.

but yes your also correct for $250 my ideal deck does not exist and i even went up a bit in price and its still hard to find one with everything but they do exist. I just wish pioneer had time delay and 24bit DAC in the 710 bt, there would be no questions.

BTW i though all the decks bypassed the ipods DAC when you hooked them up to direct control. I could be mistaken though.

mendon mafia
02-11-2010, 03:50 PM
so apparently the jvc wont work with my phone for bt. i cant find literature that says any of the other decks in question will either. alias 2 (SCH-U750)

1hawaii50
02-11-2010, 05:16 PM
BTW i though all the decks bypassed the ipods DAC when you hooked them up to direct control. I could be mistaken though.

That, I'm not sure of. I know the Kenwood advertises that it bypasses the Ipod DAC, other H/U's don't advertise such, so I figured that not all of them do. I could be wrong though.

1hawaii50
02-11-2010, 05:18 PM

I can't see dropping $500 on a head unit made by a company who will no longer be in the car audio market. Doesn't seem like good sense to me. I would think they would no longer be dedicated to support, since they will no longer have a vested interest in the car audio market. I'm not saying you won't get support, but I don't think the quality of support will be what it would have been had they stayed in the market. Just my opinion.

hatedonmostly
02-11-2010, 05:54 PM
I can't see dropping $500 on a head unit made by a company who will no longer be in the car audio market. Doesn't seem like good sense to me. I would think they would no longer be dedicated to support, since they will no longer have a vested interest in the car audio market. I'm not saying you won't get support, but I don't think the quality of support will be what it would have been had they stayed in the market. Just my opinion.

Okay, makes sense, I was just curious.

manny1337
02-11-2010, 06:22 PM
How so? What makes them better than lossless on a USB or other digital media? Not trying to flame, but actually wondering how much validity that statement holds.

if the file is lossess on the cd there wont be any different than it on a ipod or zune or any other mp3 player. :)
as long as you rip the file directly from the cd in loss less format there isnt a difference.

mendon mafia
02-11-2010, 06:48 PM
if the file is lossess on the cd there wont be any different than it on a ipod or zune or any other mp3 player. :)
as long as you rip the file directly from the cd in loss less format there isnt a difference.

all my sh1t is compressed :(

anyways the president of sonix saw this thread and my distrust with his company he has made some bold statements and promises and incentives but im back on the boat. I might get that kenwood after all.

manny1337
02-11-2010, 06:57 PM
eclipse> kenwood

hatedonmostly
02-11-2010, 07:14 PM
eclipse> kenwood

By far, IMO.

What makes you think you'll need support on a HU? I've never had a problem with one...wel,l except my old Dual, the internal amp started going bad. But that's Dual.

hatedonmostly
02-11-2010, 07:16 PM
all my sh1t is compressed :(

anyways the president of sonix saw this thread and my distrust with his company he has made some bold statements and promises and incentives but im back on the boat. I might get that kenwood after all.

Downloading lossless is a waste of space IMO. I'm perfectly happy with my library, which is mainly 320 KB/S and VBR rips.

1hawaii50
02-11-2010, 07:28 PM
By far, IMO.

What makes you think you'll need support on a HU? I've never had a problem with one...wel,l except my old Dual, the internal amp started going bad. But that's Dual.

As soon as I start thinking like this, I'll need support on the H/U, that's pretty much just how my luck rolls! ;)

Again, I'm not debating one head unit versus another. My original post here was just to say that at a price point of $200 shipped with a 2 year warranty, you cannot beat the deal on the X993 right now.
Is the CD7200MkII a better unit? I'm sure it is if you want an active H/U. SQ wise it may or may not be, it depends on your ears. However, you WILL NOT get a 7200MkII for $200 shipped. The CD5030, and CD3200 are comparable in price, but I don't think they offer a 24 Bit DAC. Are they better than Kenwood's flagship single din offering...I don't know, I've never owned an Eclipse unit. I have owned Kenwoods, and I think that they are a solid unit for the money.
We can argue who's better all day long, but at a $200 price point, I'll take the X993 all day long.

dizint
02-11-2010, 07:30 PM
i am leaning towards the 5030... preset buttons (1-6) are nice for the radio, 5v output is very nice, one rotary dial is also a plus. rear usb is great for stealthy flash/i-pod connection. someone here did a silent test with USB stick, and there was no hiss, so that is also great. JVC would have matched the interior lights with all their color adjustability, but oh well. i dont see or read about any show-stoppers with 5030...

hatedonmostly
02-11-2010, 07:41 PM
As soon as I start thinking like this, I'll need support on the H/U, that's pretty much just how my luck rolls! ;)

Again, I'm not debating one head unit versus another. My original post here was just to say that at a price point of $200 shipped with a 2 year warranty, you cannot beat the deal on the X993 right now.
Is the CD7200MkII a better unit? I'm sure it is if you want an active H/U. SQ wise it may or may not be, it depends on your ears. However, you WILL NOT get a 7200MkII for $200 shipped. The CD5030, and CD3200 are comparable in price, but are they better than Kenwood's flagship single CD offering...I don't know, I've never owned one. I have owned Kenwoods, and I think that they are a solid unit for the money.
We can argue who's better all day long, but at a $200 price point, I'll take the X993 all day long.

I'm not a fan of Kenwood, but that's just me. I'd pay extra for an Eclipse...though I do understand what you are saying.

mendon mafia
02-11-2010, 07:49 PM
By far, IMO.

this is a joke right?

headunits go bad all the time. one of the reasons i had a problem with sonix was because of my headunit in the first place. Im doing some research as to weather or not i even need a 24bit DAC, time alignment, file restoration and whatever other SQ feature i cant think of right now. My guess is that i will probably be happy with 16 bit, no time alignment, no file restoration since that is how my old pioneer deh-p590ib was and i was happy with that other than the white noise.

i just want some more features like usb, bt, and everything else my other deck had for a reasonable price.

1hawaii50
02-20-2010, 10:10 PM
I got my X993 installed a couple days ago. The Ipod integration is top notch. The menu is not nearly as difficult to navigate as others make it out to be. I spent about 1/2 hour playing with the settings, and I feel pretty comfortable with the menus. The EQ on the P980BT was better, but I'm not regretting putting in the X993.

mendon mafia
02-21-2010, 01:21 AM
I got my X993 installed a couple days ago. The Ipod integration is top notch. The menu is not nearly as difficult to navigate as others make it out to be. I spent about 1/2 hour playing with the settings, and I feel pretty comfortable with the menus. The EQ on the P980BT was better, but I'm not regretting putting in the X993.

hey thanks for the update. I still havent bought a deck yet but i may be holding off on putting my car on the road until the summer now so i may have even more time that initially.

but im actually thinking about getting the JVC kdr800 and then adding a line driver/eq so that i can have extra adjustment and nice strong rca signal. its only $155 shipped for this deck and its got everything i want except for compressed file restoration, the fact that the bluetooth may not work with my phone and it doesnt have time alignment (ive decided i dont need time alignment)

I also might just buy my old pioneer 590ib back not sure how any of these other decks will compare to it but it used to make me happy plus i can get it back for cheap.

nismos14
02-22-2010, 12:10 PM
I love the 993, I've owned 3 already, I just wish there was a 15 band geq or 7 or 8 band peq with more adjustability, I don't understand why the 942 gets a parametric eq and the 993 gets a poopy geq.

1hawaii50
02-22-2010, 05:11 PM
I love the 993, I've owned 3 already, I just wish there was a 15 band geq or 7 or 8 band peq with more adjustability, I don't understand why the 942 gets a parametric eq and the 993 gets a poopy geq.

You would think that Kenwood would outfit their top-dog single DIN offering with a little more than a basic EQ. The EQ on the P980 was definitely better, but the Ipod controller on the X993 is GREAT!

nismos14
02-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Yea but I haven't had much of a problem with getting it tuned nicely :)

Wattser93
02-22-2010, 07:36 PM
I have a X693 and it's a nice unit. I didn't get the X993 because when I have my music on I don't want people calling me.

mendon mafia
02-23-2010, 01:14 AM
i kinda have grown on the 993 but having the nob on the right side just bothers me it will ttake some getting used to

mendon mafia
03-01-2010, 01:04 AM
so i bought the jvc kd-a805. its the exact same as the kd-r900 but it has the face plate of the kd-r800. 2 year warranty as well. I figured the slot in design is better for me since the flap face used to ho hit my trim ring and not open up all the way.

its got the 24bit dac, 5 volt pre outs, bt, direct ipod, dual usb front and read (if you dont use the bt, bt uses a usb dongle /: ), front aux, 3 band parametric eq high and lp filters, 30k color disp, passenger ipod control, lots of other useful features that will probably take me forever to figure out haha.

basically has everything except time alignment and hopefully the bt works with my phone since its not on the list.

cost 180 shipped

hatedonmostly
03-01-2010, 03:18 AM
Get it installed yet? Let me know how the feedback is though the speakers like we talked about earlier...

mendon mafia
03-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Get it installed yet? Let me know how the feedback is though the speakers like we talked about earlier...

should be here early next week i would imagine. gonna get it hooked up asap. Hopefully it dosnt have the white noise but ive heard from a few people that its unavoidable. Im going to be very careful this time around and disconnect my battery's when installing like they suggest so there will be absolutely no reason for any noise.

mendon mafia
03-08-2010, 04:01 PM
i got my jvc installed today and am very pleased so far. Its very clear sounding and very easy to use. it works with my phone too for the bt. It definately has better sq than the pioneer 590ib imo which is probably due to the 24 bit TI/brown burr dac.

it does have some fuzz at high volumes but its not as much as the pioneer. Im going to try grounding the unit better but it probably wont help gli or not its exactly the same amount of fuzz/hiss.

the direct ipod is slow when navigating through large play lists but it has the option to control the unit from the ipod itself which makes searching easier/faster.

all in all im VERY happy with my purchase and would recommend this unit to anyone. It does not have time alignment but that's fine for me. and for $180 shipped the value is amazing.

mendon mafia
03-09-2010, 01:01 AM
i spoke to soon. the front right rca output is bad on this unit it was not just the typical noise since it was the same volume at 1 and at 20 and only on the right side just took me a while of tinkering to notice. this unit is going back but hopefully the new one works better.

1hawaii50
03-09-2010, 06:31 AM
i spoke to soon. the front right rca output is bad on this unit it was not just the typical noise since it was the same volume at 1 and at 20 and only on the right side just took me a while of tinkering to notice. this unit is going back but hopefully the new one works better.

Hopefully you'll have better luck with the replacement. I've got my X993 installed, and so far...so good. The crossovers have finer adjustments than the Pioneer, the radio tuner is stronger than the Pioneer, the Ipod controller is fantastic! It is a little tough to see in direct sunlight (Pioneer wasn't any better). The function button being on the left side of the unit does not bother me at all. I've found that once I set up the unit, I don't use that button very often anyway...that's what steering wheel controls are for! I've found that navigating through the menus is nowhere near as difficult as some people make it out to be. It could be easier, but once you mess with it for a little while, it all falls into place. Overall I'm very happy with this unit.

CarAudioNewbie9
03-09-2010, 06:45 AM
Get the kenwood.

mendon mafia
03-09-2010, 11:05 AM
Get the kenwood.

i mean this deck cost $40 less than the kenwood and has everything it has except the time alignment. its just a defective unit since the other outputs work fine

the radio receiver is very strong and the display is nice. this thing is also super easy to use and user friendly.

only complaints are the tiny remote(no biggie), the slow scrolling through playlists and the ipod is slow to load up, i cant get the passenger ipod control to work (not that big of a deal), also the bluetooth sometimes restarts my phone automatically before it will actually work but once it restarts it works fine, still have yet to try the voice command tho.

1hawaii50
03-09-2010, 05:02 PM
i mean this deck cost $40 less than the kenwood and has everything it has except the time alignment. its just a defective unit since the other outputs work fine

$20 bucks less...I got my X993 for $200 shipped!

Bumpin' Goalie
03-09-2010, 05:04 PM
I 2nd the Kenwood X-693 and up, Solid little decks with a nice amount of features.

nismos14
03-09-2010, 05:11 PM
231.09 on crutchfield with free install gear and full warranty using this link Crutchfield: LCD TV, Car Stereo, Home Theater, Speakers, Plasma TV (http://www.crutchfield.com/penfed) and this code 3a825

mendon mafia
03-09-2010, 06:31 PM
$20 bucks less...I got my X993 for $200 shipped!

from where?

nismos14
03-10-2010, 12:34 AM
Had to be ebay... or crutchfield with referral codes etc.

mendon mafia
03-10-2010, 02:01 AM
ehh its cool im returning it and getting a new one for 173 this time around. if this is no good then i will take it to a repair shop locally and it should be free to repair since its under warranty for 2 years.

nismos14
03-10-2010, 08:50 AM
ehh its cool im returning it and getting a new one for 173 this time around. if this is no good then i will take it to a repair shop locally and it should be free to repair since its under warranty for 2 years.

Lol wtf, why would you go through that, return that and try the kenwood through crutchfield, if you don't like it, return it to them, get full money back and get the jvc again.

mendon mafia
03-10-2010, 03:43 PM
Lol wtf, why would you go through that, return that and try the kenwood through crutchfield, if you don't like it, return it to them, get full money back and get the jvc again.

this is a really good point but its because the kd-a805 is discontinued and if it sells out then im stuck with the kd-r900 which i dont like the face plate of as much or the nob colors. if i had time to install units and try them out then i would totally do this but im going back to school on sunday and wont have a chance to test the kenwood until may and by then the jvc surely will be sold out.

idk i may still cancel the order though and get the kenwood.

Carnivorous18
03-12-2010, 07:14 PM
this is a really good point but its because the kd-a805 is discontinued and if it sells out then im stuck with the kd-r900 which i dont like the face plate of as much or the nob colors. if i had time to install units and try them out then i would totally do this but im going back to school on sunday and wont have a chance to test the kenwood until may and by then the jvc surely will be sold out.

idk i may still cancel the order though and get the kenwood.

Dude get the newer version of the KD-A805, KD-A815 I just ordered it from crutchfield and it has all the features of the A-805 and an updated faceplate look. And plus I know how to get 7% off AND $20. Msg me and i'll let you know how. Cant wait to get my A815 it looks like itll be legit. I'll probably set all the colors to red :D

mendon mafia
03-13-2010, 04:40 PM
Dude get the newer version of the KD-A805, KD-A815 I just ordered it from crutchfield and it has all the features of the A-805 and an updated faceplate look. And plus I know how to get 7% off AND $20. Msg me and i'll let you know how. Cant wait to get my A815 it looks like itll be legit. I'll probably set all the colors to red :D

so how much did it come to total including shipping?

Carnivorous18
03-14-2010, 03:14 AM
Well I also bought a speaker terminal cup for the box im building, but without it I think it may be $204.59. Fits the $250 bill of yours well :)

mendon mafia
03-14-2010, 05:03 PM
Well I also bought a speaker terminal cup for the box im building, but without it I think it may be $204.59. Fits the $250 bill of yours well :)

i saved $30 and the only difference is the face plate. Yes i do like the 815 better but its almost the same even in terms of looks.

Carnivorous18
03-15-2010, 02:29 AM
I remember there was one big thing that was different between the two but I cant remember it right now. Id have to do the compare on sonicelectronix again or crutchfield. But i dont mind paying a tad extra for and updated look anyways

mendon mafia
03-15-2010, 10:11 PM
I remember there was one big thing that was different between the two but I cant remember it right now. Id have to do the compare on sonicelectronix again or crutchfield. But i dont mind paying a tad extra for and updated look anyways

let me know. i can seem to find anything

mendon mafia
03-16-2010, 03:54 AM
dd is sold

gentlejax
03-18-2010, 11:08 PM

the radio receiver is very strong and the display is nice. this thing is also super easy to use and user friendly.

only complaints are the tiny remote(no biggie), the slow scrolling through playlists and the ipod is slow to load up, i cant get the passenger ipod control to work (not that big of a deal), also the bluetooth sometimes restarts my phone automatically before it will actually work but once it restarts it works fine, still have yet to try the voice command tho.

Not to rain on your parade......but Kenwood Excelons have been known to be excellent decks for years and years for the most part and cheaper than Pioneers and Alpines for no reason.....

JVC on the other hand has never been known for anything other than cheap entry level stuff that will break .....

you really should get the Kenwood or something else...if not too late

only JVC decks that were good were the Arsenal Exad units which were on another level...than the current jvc stuff lately