PDA

View Full Version : HIVI FR600 and or FR1600

SurgicaL
02-08-2010, 01:38 AM
First off, when I was pretty into audio a couple years back, the CDT HD's were pretty hot, so whats hot now component wise>?
also,
anyone used these?
Hi-Vi FR600 6" Autosound System from Madisound (http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_245_318&products_id=8473)

I cant seem to find reviews anywhere.
It seems a bit of moisture/overpowering has got the better of my CDT woofers. I can get them replaced for just under $100, however I find the tweeters lacking as well, not to mention ugly.
For $244 you get the mids, ribbon tweets, and the xovers.
The sensitivity is a bit low but I have power to spare. I am thinking of bi amping and going active and then getting another amp for sub duty.
I'll gladly be the guinea pig on these but I just want to know what to expect. Seems they are supposed to be very flat, realistic, and with good midrange.
FYI, the FR1600 is the same setup from what I can tell, but is about $70 less and uses a silk dome tweeter.

My system currently consists of the following
Pioneer DEH-P4300
Soundstream Rubicon 300.2 (one for subs and one for fronts)
Audiocontrol EQX (not yet installed)
Elemental Designs Flatcone O series (1.3cf sealed)
CDT HD-62 components

death metal
02-08-2010, 02:54 AM
your on the wrong forum asking about sq components. all these "KIDS" care about is bass and chicks with *****

SurgicaL
02-08-2010, 03:17 AM
I'm sure there are a few good ole dogs left..... They know who they are!

death metal
02-08-2010, 03:39 AM
I'm sure there are a few good ole dogs left..... They know who they are!

my only concern with these comps is the ribbon tweet. i know they dont peform very well off axis. you have to play with the eq a good bit to find a sweet spot. plus... there very easy to damage soft parts. i would look elasewhere.

SurgicaL
02-08-2010, 03:52 AM
the AudioControl EQX will solve all of my EQ problems. I also have a 1 octave EQ in the pioneer HU IRRC, IF I need it.
My reason for going with them was FOR the ribbon tweet. They will be in a custom mount fiberglass kick just for the tweet. This is my work car...no passengers, kids, etc. I'm not worried about damaging them. I wanted to play with ribbons a bit, didnt find anything else comparable.
What would you recommend anyways? sub $500 street price. Or less.
Ive had the Alpine (type R), JL(XR?), Pioneer(forget, yellow ones), CDT, and a set of elemental designs. I liked the CDT EF-61 and CDT HD-61 the best.
Im half tempted to get a set of the carbon EF-61's...I remember they had NASTY mid bass....especially with the doors deadened.

misfit138
02-08-2010, 03:56 AM
I'd be scared to run ribbon tweets. My girl has a kid and all of my friends have them too. One of those little suckers would destroy them...

SurgicaL
02-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Being fragile is the last of my concerns....
What about the newer CDT HD carbon fiber comps?
What's the difference between those and the original hd's?

spltuscon
02-10-2010, 08:26 AM
I think you should try them, it looks like a nice set. I've never played with ribbon tweeters but I've heard good stuff about them and if you can mount them like you mentioned why not try? I had a set of the CDT-HD62's that I really liked (other than the fact they didn't get loud enough for me). Maybe someone over on DIYMA has tried them...

SurgicaL
02-10-2010, 05:47 PM
I really wanted to. I got talked into a set of elemental designs e9's
I know what I am getting with those...lol
maybe in my other car....its due for an upgrade real soon...