PDA

View Full Version : HU power only for 6.5 components. Please review my choices and help.

jjevans
02-06-2010, 11:39 AM
This is my 1st post so please bear with me. I recently purchased a 96 Civic Coupe. Audio was terrible so I went really cheap (anything would have been an improvement). Found a Pioneer DEH-P3100UB (22rms) for 80 bucks and Pioneer TS-A-6962 6x9s for 30 bucks. The sound from a $110 system blew me away. Super low and rich bass with some power behind it too. I don't see an amp in my future because this thing is plenty loud already. Some people think I have a sub in the trunk!
In the past, the 6.5 door speakers never seemed to add much. But since I have such a good start and the car is setup from the factory for component fronts, I now want to more carefully select the last set of speakers. I've done some research and have come up with some components that may or may not be good choices. I've tried to stay away from high rms/low sensitivity/high impedance combinations because of power limitations that I have no intention of addressing. I want to stay fairly low in price but added a couple mid level sets because they had high sensitivity and/or low impedance so my deck just might push them. I don't care if it pushes them to their potential. I just don't want muddy sound at moderately high volume. Yes, I have high and low pass filters at my disposal with this HU. Below is my list:

Sony XS-GTX1620S. 5-60rms, 88db@1w, 40Hz-22KHz, 4 ohms, $46.

Alpine SPE-17CS. 35rms, 91db@1w, 35Hz-25KHz, ?ohms, $85.

JBL P660c. 90rms, 94db@1w, 45Hz-23KHz, 2 ohms, $129.

Focal Access 165A1. 60rms, 92db@1w, 60Hz-20KHz, ?ohms, $190.

I'm leaning Alpine or JBL but feel free correct me. I wonder not only about the price of the Focals, but about their narrow frequency response as well. Maybe I'd never miss the lows because the Pioneers hit 28Hz and my ears possibly won't discern above 20kHz? Oh yeah, I'm open to new suggestions too. Thanks.

daboyfrumdabx
02-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Not a fan of coaxials, but for your purposes get the sonys. It'll make people think you have 2 subs in the trunk.

Louisiana_CRX
02-06-2010, 11:53 AM
don't run 2 ohm componets on deck power..or you'll most likely fry the little amp chip in your radio

daboyfrumdabx
02-06-2010, 12:11 PM
No seriously though People should not think you have subs because of 6x9s. 1)They have no idea what they're talking about 2)They don't give you super low rich bass and 3) You're gonna blow those speakers trying to get bass out of them.

jjevans
02-06-2010, 12:56 PM
I'm guessing that when a manufacturer tells you they're 2ohm speakers are really 4ohm if you keep using the factory 18 gauge wire that it is only a marketing scheme and I really could blow my HU?

Also, on another site I'm getting the impression that the specs of all except the Focals are total BS. Again a marketing scheme. If this is true, are there other high end 6.5 components that have lower rms and higher sensitivity like the 165A1? Preferably under 200 bucks. It would take me forever to find them because I don't even know all the names of the reputable high end companies yet, and then I would have to pour over all their specs.

Finally, when I said deep, full and loud, I was implying "for 6x9's". As good as these 6x9's are sounding I too don't expect them to last either. Bummer seeing what a pain it is to top mount rear deck speakers in a Civic. You'll probably see me asking similar 6x9 questions this summer.

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks.

daboyfrumdabx
02-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Just look for some 4 ohm speakers. In all honesty, if you're not going to be amping them, any speaker will sound fine as long as it's from a decent brand. I wouldn't spend 200 bucks if I wasn't amping but it's your money

supermaxx123
02-06-2010, 02:09 PM
i have these:
Pioneer USA - TS-A1702C - 6¾" Component Speaker Package with 230 Watts Max. Power (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Speakers/A-Series/Pioneer/TS-A1702C?tab=B)
under $80 shipped! let me know

misfit138
02-06-2010, 02:19 PM
If you're willing to spend around $200, you could buy an amp as well as a pair of components.

amp: MB Quart DSC 280 (dsc280) 2-Channel Amps Car Amplifiers Car Audio Car Audio, Video, & GPS Navigation - Sonic Electronix (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_13495_MB+Quart+DSC+280.html?utm_source=froogl e&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=froogle)

comps: Boston Acoustics S60 : 200-Watt 6.5" 2-Way S-Series Component Speaker System" - for $87.75 at Googol Shop (http://www.googolshop.com/products/BostonAcousticsS60.htm)

fliptwister
02-07-2010, 11:50 PM
I agree with misfit. There is no reason to spend $200 on a component set if you are running off of HU. Waste of money. The Sony set may sound OK but you are still much better off getting an amp.

Toone
02-07-2010, 11:55 PM
I'm guessing that when a manufacturer tells you they're 2ohm speakers are really 4ohm if you keep using the factory 18 gauge wire that it is only a marketing scheme and I really could blow my HU?

No when they say that there 2 ohm theyre 2 ohm. if your HU amp is only 4ohm stable then yes you could fry the internal amp which would cause you to buy an external amp which would be your best bet anyways it makes a huge difference

Ignatowski
02-08-2010, 08:28 AM
comps on HU power is throwing money away......

liebezeit
02-19-2010, 07:10 PM
I too would like to get some components for the front because I have factory spots for them, but I don't want to bother with an amp, and I don't want to spend a lot of money.

Now my head unit puts out 22 watts RMS. A lot of amps in my price range put out about 50 watts. That's a difference of only about 3dB or so, a very modest increase. So am I right in thinking it's not worth bothering with?