PDA

View Full Version : Dude seriously,fiberglassing *****

marleyskater420
12-27-2003, 03:28 AM
OK so I figure I'm just gonna fiberglass over the exsisting dual RE8's box. Pretty simple,nothgin complicated. WRONG.I think I am seriosuly doing something wrong because I have used like 2 quarts of resin and only done 4 sides. The box isn't even a cubic foot either. I put resin,then mat,then resin,then mat,then resin. It looks HORRIBLE. This box will easily cost 100+ to do. Iv already dropped 70 on it for supplies(30-resin,10-bondo,40-paintbrushes,matt,gloves,misc.) What am I doing wrong? The box looks like crap and I dont think we did it right. Somebody help me!

LoneRanger
12-27-2003, 09:59 AM
OK so I figure I'm just gonna fiberglass over the exsisting dual RE8's box. Pretty simple,nothgin complicated. WRONG.I think I am seriosuly doing something wrong because I have used like 2 quarts of resin and only done 4 sides. The box isn't even a cubic foot either. I put resin,then mat,then resin,then mat,then resin. It looks HORRIBLE. This box will easily cost 100+ to do. Iv already dropped 70 on it for supplies(30-resin,10-bondo,40-paintbrushes,matt,gloves,misc.) What am I doing wrong? The box looks like crap and I dont think we did it right. Somebody help me!

if you're doing the fiberglassing over an existing structure, one layer is plenty. multiple layers are more practical when you're building something completely out of fiberglass.

what kind of mat are you using?

fiberglass supplies aren't cheap, but it sounds like you're overdoing it on the resin a touch.

RangerMan
12-27-2003, 10:02 AM
And what did I tell you.

Fiberglass *****.

BDIDDY
12-27-2003, 10:10 AM
That's a little high, I can get reson for about 3$ a quart around here....Go to your local wal-mart and get the throw away brushes, .50$...Why put 5 layers on some already strong 3/4 MDF...?And why even do that to beging with.....

ss3079
12-27-2003, 02:52 PM
That's a little high, I can get reson for about 3$ a quart around here....Go to your local wal-mart and get the throw away brushes, .50$...Why put 5 layers on some already strong 3/4 MDF...?And why even do that to beging with.....

At what store can you find resin for $3 a quart ?

- Steve

TPABlazer
12-27-2003, 05:55 PM
Sheeit harbor frieght tools, 2 dollars for like 12 brushes or some shat

BDIDDY
12-27-2003, 07:41 PM
Its this store called Bill's wholesale....Also NAPA has gallons for 24$......

Gauntlet
12-27-2003, 09:03 PM
Marley - what exactly are you trying to do?

ss3079
12-27-2003, 09:05 PM
If you're fiberglassing over MDF ... a large flat surface, doesn't that defeat the purpose ? Unless you've added some mounting rings and took off the front of the existing box and are making it crazy shaped ...

Bdiddy - thanks for the info.

- Steve

Gauntlet
12-28-2003, 04:01 AM
^ Yeah, if you're just fiberglassing to add strength, you don't need mat, just coat the box in resin, the MDF will soak a lot of it up. MDF thoroughly saturated with resin = concrete.

marleyskater420
12-28-2003, 07:08 PM
Marley - what exactly are you trying to do?
Well,it all started as just seeing if we can even fiberglass to begin with, but it turns out fiberglassing just aint for me.

And what did I tell you.

Fiberglass *****.

Dude you are so right.

if you're doing the fiberglassing over an existing structure, one layer is plenty. multiple layers are more practical when you're building something completely out of fiberglass.

what kind of mat are you using?

fiberglass supplies aren't cheap, but it sounds like you're overdoing it on the resin a touch.

Oh,did not realize that. Um fiberglass matting"for cars,boats,houses etc." I think I MAY be overdoing it on the resin, but it only comes in quarts and those are 10$ a pop.

I.hate.fiberglassing. This is the last time i ever fiberglass unless forced to.

Gauntlet
12-28-2003, 07:19 PM
Fiberglass is the greatest thing ever.

marleyskater420
12-28-2003, 07:23 PM
Fiberglass is the greatest thing ever.
Bite me. :moon: I would rather build that 18XXX box I did all over again than fiberglass this **** 8's box anymore.

Dustin you were so right.

ss3079
12-28-2003, 10:03 PM
It takes patience ... and lots of it ;)

Were you stabbing the brush into the matt or were you painting it on?

- Steve

Gauntlet
12-28-2003, 10:20 PM
I'd still like to know exactly what you were trying to do.....

buchel
12-28-2003, 10:29 PM

- Steve

What should you do? Just curious myself...

~ Kyle ~

ss3079
12-28-2003, 10:30 PM

~ Kyle ~

Stabbing motion works best I find.

- Steve

Gauntlet
12-28-2003, 11:34 PM

~ Kyle ~

You sort of want to jab it in....I find it easiest to cut the bristles on the brush down so they're stronger and you can poke at the mat easier.

TPABlazer
12-29-2003, 10:47 AM
nothing's wrong with brushing, it just depends on how much you want to matte to move around while youre doing it lol

ss3079
12-29-2003, 01:56 PM
nothing's wrong with brushing, it just depends on how much you want to matte to move around while youre doing it lol

Just a pain in the *** when it moves around.

- steve

jbl_marshall21
12-29-2003, 03:44 PM
i got a ? then. say u wanted waves on top of ur flat box.

the fiberglass would just be for looks so it doesn't have to be super strong. could u just lay down felt and and put something smooth underneath the felt to get a couple waves and just fiberglass that felt? would that work or not.

BDIDDY
12-29-2003, 06:11 PM

- steve

Hell yeah....

I especially hate it when you are done glassing and gravity pulls the glass down and it gets all over the ground...

TPABlazer
12-29-2003, 10:52 PM

- steve

yeah i know, that was the point of the lol {/sarcasm}

ditto985
12-30-2003, 01:03 AM
If you are new to fiberglassing, take your time. As far as that brushing the mat, you don't need to do that, dip the matt into the resin and make sure it is all coated.

:nono: make fiberglass your friend, not your enemy

LoneRanger
12-30-2003, 11:09 AM
If you are new to fiberglassing, take your time. As far as that brushing the mat, you don't need to do that, dip the matt into the resin and make sure it is all coated.

:thumbsdow

its a lot easier to brush the stuff on.....

if you like messes and don't mind wasting a lot of resin, i say go for it. otherwise, just brush it on like a normal human being.

the trick to keeping your mat from sagging under the weight of the resin is pretty simple: pull the **** tight and fasten it good.

marleyskater420
12-30-2003, 11:38 AM

Fiberglass is my enemy.I will never willingly fiberglass again. I hate it.

- steve

THATS WHAT HAPPENED TO ME!! PSH it moved so much... and I had so many air bubbles, but sanding got rid of that.

You sort of want to jab it in....I find it easiest to cut the bristles on the brush down so they're stronger and you can poke at the mat easier.
When I get more money to finish this box ill make sure to cut the brush tips downwards, like a 45 degree angle?

I'd still like to know exactly what you were trying to do.....

Just seeing if I could even do this whole fiberglassing thing, even though I'm just putting it on over MDF, I just wanted to see if I could.

- Steve
Painting, I started off stabbing and that worked good but then Zack was painting it and it seemed to work better...but then after too much resin got on it started to ****, I think we used too much resin.

:thumbsdow

its a lot easier to brush the stuff on.....

if you like messes and don't mind wasting a lot of resin, i say go for it. otherwise, just brush it on like a normal human being.

the trick to keeping your mat from sagging under the weight of the resin is pretty simple: pull the **** tight and fasten it good.
Our mat wasn't fastened to anything so it didn't hold so well.

P.S. Donn- can you call me? I've been trying to reach you this whole week. Your mom has my cell#. Me needs box good boom. :)

ramos
12-30-2003, 02:12 PM
And what did I tell you.

Fiberglass *****.

My child, fiberglass is great. Let's see you build a spare tire enclosure out of wood in a day. :p :)

ramos
12-30-2003, 02:15 PM
Actually after reading everything. You need a fiberglass roller. It will make your life so much easier. It will aid you in your quest for smooth bubble free glassin :)

ditto985
12-30-2003, 02:42 PM
plastic putty knives work well too

marleyskater420
12-30-2003, 07:48 PM
Actually after reading everything. You need a fiberglass roller. It will make your life so much easier. It will aid you in your quest for smooth bubble free glassin :)
HUH?roller? Maybe I should try that.

ss3079
12-30-2003, 08:33 PM
http://www.shopmaninc.com/brushes.html
Scroll down. Think that is what he's talking about.

BTW, for everyone, is that the cheapest place to get matt ?

- Steve

ramos
12-31-2003, 08:58 AM
Yep that's what I'm talking about . I personally prefer the metal kind. they seem to be easier to clean. Fiberglast.com has the best selection IMHO

http://www.fibreglast.com/showproducts-category-Applicators-96.html

TPABlazer
12-31-2003, 11:34 AM
I use the roller only occasioanlly.. after a while you get to knowing how to stop bubbles in the first palce

marleyskater420
12-31-2003, 05:21 PM
Yep that's what I'm talking about . I personally prefer the metal kind. they seem to be easier to clean. Fiberglast.com has the best selection IMHO

http://www.fibreglast.com/showproducts-category-Applicators-96.html
*Oos and AHHhhhs* Those look so much easier to use than brushes. I'll look for them over at home depot, I just want to finish this box and get it over with.

southprk
01-04-2004, 12:47 PM
Yea secure it really well.... that's a big *** part of it. Hot glue works the best and is really cheap.

Use gravity as your friend!!!! Try to arrange it so you can glass on the top, work your box so it's at that angle. If you have a large surface, mix 6 oz - 8 oz up and simply poor the **** on there and spread it around - it will soak through the fleece, don't worry.

bigred78797
01-04-2004, 06:25 PM
Butter knives work just as good as rollers for me :D . seriously and to clean it all i do is slam it against a brick and break the resin off. Like southprk said use gravity to your advantage.
Also practice by building a few small objects or odd things to get your methods and sequences down pact.
A good way to make odd saped curves and stuff buy some styrophome or clay from wall mart or something and carve it up until you get the shape that you want then cover it with alumanum foil and place the matting directly on it. There are tons of different methods on how to do different stuff with fiberglass.
Use Hair blow driers to hurry up the drying process to avoid shifting of the glass and warping. oh and when u get to it use TONS of bondo to get that smooth finish.
And a glue gun is almost a necessity for me when building frames and such... i either use that with wood or weld together a metal frame.

TPABlazer
01-04-2004, 11:13 PM
And a glue gun is almost a necessity for me when building frames and such... i either use that with wood or weld together a metal frame.

I prefer CA glue (Superglue) and activator.. sets in like 2 seconds, if that.
Works supier well for carpeting or attaching fleece to avoid the ridges sapling can create and will less waiting like hot glue

MXJMR
01-21-2004, 09:46 PM
This is a lil late but after reading some of this post i never really realized ur objective for glassing over an mdf enclosure. But if u were doing it to get it smooth or whatever for painting and looks i would of just slapped some bond on there. Then sanded and painted(ur prolly already finished) but i dont know what ur objective was.

ramos
01-22-2004, 12:14 PM
If your just going to paint mdf you don't need the bondo. Just some good high build primer. Or some killz stain blocker/ primer. :)