PDA

View Full Version : 3 way setups

bigaudiofanati2
02-03-2010, 10:51 PM
I am toying with the idea of a 3 way front stage. I would like to get some ideas of what can be done. Please post any pics of 3 way setups.

modskwod
02-03-2010, 10:54 PM
There are a lot of nice 3-way active build logs on DIYMA (link (http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-build-logs/)). I don't have any pics, but the most common set ups are midbasses in the doors, mids in the kicks and tweets in the A-pillars. Have fun, I'm going to try the same thing.

Sir-Lancelot
02-03-2010, 11:15 PM
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/7508/dscf2191.jpg

Got lazy on the and bought the kicks. Couldnt fit the 8's in the stock door location, so I tried my hand at glassing with the door pods. Didnt turn out so bad for my first attempt I dont think.
When it warms up, I may change this up a bit and try the tweeters up in the pillars. It sounds pretty **** good, but I have to eq a good bit to raise the soundtage.

bigaudiofanati2
02-03-2010, 11:19 PM
Nice, in my civic there is a spot on the door that I will be able to place my mid, the tweeter already has a stock space right where the mirror adjusters would be. What is the setup you are running? How does it compare to a 3 way?

Sir-Lancelot
02-03-2010, 11:25 PM
Nice, in my civic there is a spot on the door that I will be able to place my mid, the tweeter already has a stock space right where the mirror adjusters would be. What is the setup you are running? How does it compare to a 3 way?

If you are asking me, I am running the Dynaudio 362's. 8" Midbass, 3" mid, 1.1" tweeter. It is a 3-way.
Unless you are talking about a different 3 way and my speakers do not compare to that. : )

bigaudiofanati2
02-03-2010, 11:29 PM
Nice I do not think I will do 8 inch, the models I am looking at the Mmats PRO 641's and the Rainbow CMX 465 Extreme's.

Sir-Lancelot
02-03-2010, 11:36 PM
The Rainbow should be nice, I have not personally listened to the Mmats.

You could look at an active set up with drivers from parts express but setting points, slopes, levels, and such will be a ***** if you run 3-way acitve.
I stuck with the passive crossovers to start with and may run active later.

I would go with as big a woofer as you can in the door even if it means a 2 way set up.

bigaudiofanati2
02-03-2010, 11:41 PM
Ya I was going to go active with a 2 way but it was a pain just to start playing around with the settings. I do not really feel like haking the door up that much for a bigger woofer. I could probably go with a 7 inch woofers with a bit of modifications.

mbrooky
02-04-2010, 01:20 AM
The Rainbow should be nice, I have not personally listened to the Mmats.

You could look at an active set up with drivers from parts express but setting points, slopes, levels, and such will be a ***** if you run 3-way acitve.
I stuck with the passive crossovers to start with and may run active later.

I would go with as big a woofer as you can in the door even if it means a 2 way set up.

yeah i'm running active with the HU in my sig and setting all the points, slopes, etc is a pain in the arse! but I love how it sounds! :D rebuilding my setup right now...doing 6.5s in the doors/4" and tweet in the pillars

couple pics of my door pods i'm working on...actually i'm taking a break from sanding them right now and about to start on the passenger side door :D

bigaudiofanati2
02-04-2010, 05:42 PM
Nice work man

Horsemanwill
02-04-2010, 06:44 PM
you said a 2 way was a pain in the *** to setup a 3 way will be even harder unless you get a passive 3 way setup. ALOT of Team Hybrid guys do 3 ways with mid in the kicks or doors and tweet and midrange in the pillars.

James Bang
02-04-2010, 07:52 PM
fly me out there and pay $700, i'll help.

jk

it's not as difficult as ca.com makes it seem.

James Bang
02-04-2010, 08:05 PM
I'd suggest tweets above the dash. You can probably stick with the tweets on the sail panels, you'll get more width that way, but lack depth. Midrange can be up above the dash if you can fit them, or you can have them in the kicks for depth.. then midbass in the doors. Or if you have small midranges on the dash/pillars, then the midbass can be in kicks.

experiment with aiming.

xover points will depend on your choice of speakers and their locations, imo.

I'lll be going with MB in the kicks, MR and tweets in the dash/pillars if i ever finish

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11/mobster909/New%20install/DSC04954.jpg

speedfreak28
02-04-2010, 08:44 PM
why rainbow? have you ever even heard any of their products?

bigaudiofanati2
02-04-2010, 10:26 PM
Just something different but not sure as of yet Mike.

speedfreak28
02-04-2010, 11:06 PM
you can do better for the money

James Bang
02-05-2010, 02:25 PM
you can do better for the money

you can?

bigaudiofanati2
02-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Ya I would like to know how so.

RMF419
02-10-2010, 02:24 PM
My first attempt at car audio was an 3-way up front and subs in the 6x9 location. No box, 2 sets of clubs, 4 pairs of shoes, and a bunch of gloves. My rolling locker room. Here is a picture of my setup. http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e202/RMF419/Mods/PICT4138.jpg

Brian_smith06
02-11-2010, 03:18 PM
Hmm. i too will be running a 3 way at some point this year. Im going to have my id xs65 as my midbass, hybrid L3 as mid and still in the air on my tweeter but either my xs28 or one of the hybrid tweeters. Since my headunit is only 3 way active capable and i still plan to run at least one of my idmax subs im going to have to run the L3 and tweeter passive, yet active if that makes since? my mid/tweeter will be in my a pillars so time alignment should not be an issue.

oh and im going to buy another dls a2 and run one dls a2 to each midbass and im going to bridge the dls a4 and run each side of it to my mid/tweeter. Should be a fun install :D

James Bang
02-11-2010, 03:25 PM
Hmm. i too will be running a 3 way at some point this year. Im going to have my id xs65 as my midbass, hybrid L3 as mid and still in the air on my tweeter but either my xs28 or one of the hybrid tweeters. Since my headunit is only 3 way active capable and i still plan to run at least one of my idmax subs im going to have to run the L3 and tweeter passive, yet active if that makes since? my mid/tweeter will be in my a pillars so time alignment should not be an issue.

oh and im going to buy another dls a2 and run one dls a2 to each midbass and im going to bridge the dls a4 and run each side of it to my mid/tweeter. Should be a fun install :D

time alignment won't be much of an issue, but level/balance might, 'cause the T/A setting will affect the midrange freqs more than the highs.

why not just stick with 2way if you have the xs65 set?

Brian_smith06
02-11-2010, 03:33 PM
i get bored and like to waste money :D

but yeah i suppose the level/balance might be a bit of an issue. Im going to get the most out of what i have now before i make any drastic changes. I want to make sure everything is as ideal as it can be before purchasing more. However, Im going to deaden/mlv the rest of my car before any other equipment is purchased. That will help out a bit

Brian_smith06
02-11-2010, 03:35 PM
plus i need to get a proper tune on my current install. Im just waiting on my new a pillars to be finished so my tweeters will be in final resting place before car goes on the rta

SSS 18734
02-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Tweeters/Mids on the dash or the a-pillars, midbasses in the doors. Makes tuning much, much easier and gives you great depth/level.

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt233/sss18734/F-150%20Build/DSC04442.jpg

;)

Alter Ego Trip
02-11-2010, 06:27 PM
I don't know how you guys can drive with that big of an intrusion in your field of vision. I'd rather see someone chatting on a cell phone than driving around with obstructions like that.:uhoh: