PDA

View Full Version : Static Electricity Damage?



KickerSoItBump
01-31-2010, 10:37 PM
Well I was watching a blu-ray tonight, when I went over and turned my preamp volume level down, and a little b4 my hand reached the knob i saw a teeny bit of static electricity jump from my finger tip to the amp.

Since then my left channel has been on the fritz, occasionally working, but most the time not.

Its a stereo preamp, hooked from my tv into the pre amp, which then hits my main amp and to the 2 speakers.

I unhooked it for the night and hopefully that might discharge the built up electricity possibly, however I hooked my main amp into the tv and both speakers work fine (albeit loud since there isnt as much access to volume control without my pre amp)

So I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of what static electricity does in this type of situation, and if I can have any hope of it not needing to go to a repair shop.

Thank you in advance :)

jeyventura
01-31-2010, 10:56 PM
**** dude ive never seen a spark jumping from my finger
that must be awesome lol
sorry cant help

bubbagumper6
01-31-2010, 10:58 PM
**** dude ive never seen a spark jumping from my finger
that must be awesome lol
sorry cant help

What are you, an idiot? You've never had a static shock?


And to the OP, it's unlikely but you could have fried some temperamental IC's or other components inside...it would be next to impossible for you to tell though because I doubt anything would be visually damaged. The only way to know for sure would be to have someone who knows what they're doing take a look at it...

jeyventura
01-31-2010, 11:15 PM
What are you, an idiot? You've never had a static shock?


And to the OP, it's unlikely but you could have fried some temperamental IC's or other components inside...it would be next to impossible for you to tell though because I doubt anything would be visually damaged. The only way to know for sure would be to have someone who knows what they're doing take a look at it...

really never before

KickerSoItBump
02-01-2010, 06:50 PM
I was afraid it would probably be something not visible, I'm about to go plug it in again now and see if it discharged possibly :crap:

I just have this feeling tho it hasnt.

Thank you, either way :)

bubbagumper6
02-02-2010, 03:56 PM
really never before

You've never had a static shock? Well go put on some fuzzy socks, shuffle your feet across the carpet, and touch a piece of grounded metal...