PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer MVH-P8200BT

sovereign
01-30-2010, 08:57 PM
Looking to upgrade from a Premier 690ub. The 690ub will not read my iphone and it will not read HDs. It would read and charge the Ipod Touch I used to own and it will read SD cards through a card reader. As I would like to able to charge my iphone and access its content, I am considering an upgrade to an Alpine iDA-X303, iDA-305, or the yet to be released Pioneer MVH-8200BT. Will the Alpine models power a 2.5" HD through the USB port? Any ideas if the new Pioneers will. Should I spring for one of the Alpines now or wait a few weeks for the MVH-8200? I do like the idea of integrated Bluetooth for hands free.

http://www.pioneerusa.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/In-Dash/DVD-Receivers/MVH-P8200BT

sovereign
02-04-2010, 06:13 PM
Anyone?

Worth waiting for the Pioneer or go with an Alpine? Been reading about the fuse issue with the Pioneers. Mine has not had a problem, but... Outputs? 2v for the Alpine and 4v for the Pioneer. The Pioneer would probably use the same wiring harness so I could plug it in and go. Quality wise, Alpine of Pioneer? Depending on where you look it seems some sites like Alpine now and some Pioneer???

danz400
02-10-2010, 06:40 AM
The pioneer MVH-P8200BT looks so sweet. forget alpine- spring for the pioneer!
do you have a link to it's specs or are they not released completely?

Bitgod
02-10-2010, 06:34 PM
I just had my iDA-X100 stolen and this is one of the units I'm thinking of replacing it with, this or one of the new double-din units with BT in it. I went from a Pioneer to the Alpine, and I hate having to pay extra to get things I'd get in the HU price like BT and extra EQs, so now that I can still get a full-color screen on a Pioneer, I'm going back. I just hate driving around without a radio while waiting for these to show up, heh.

If you go to Pioneer's site and look at the pages for their units, you'll find that you can download the manual for them already, I hope that's a sign that the units will show up in a few weeks. http://www.pioneerusa.com/PUSA/Unassigned+Content/MVH-P8200BT+OPERATION+MANUAL specificly.

I'm not sure if the Alpines will power a HD. Considering it charged my ipod, I guess it could. I didn't dislike the Alpine, but just price what it would take to buy a X305 + the audio processor I had ($150) for a better EQ and voltage + whatever the cost of their BT module vs getting all that with the Pioneer.

danz400
02-10-2010, 06:44 PM
I didn't dislike the Alpine, but just price what it would take to buy a X305 + the audio processor I had ($150) for a better EQ and voltage + whatever the cost of their BT module vs getting all that with the Pioneer.
qft

danz400
02-10-2010, 06:46 PM
with your alpine, could you control the iphone while it was plugged in and streaming music? by controlling the iphone, I mean, GPS, txting, apps like pandora, etc. thanks in advance

Bitgod
02-11-2010, 04:29 PM
On mine, no, but the X100 wasn't "ready for iphone" like the X305. On mine, if I plugged my phone in, it would recommend going to airplane mode so I wouldn't get audio interference, and then I could play music from the phone, but that's it. And there was 1 or 2 glitchy issues, the album art off the phone came up a little distorted for some reason, not a killer, and...I'm fuzzy on what the other issue was, it was something like, I'd play an album and it wouldn't play the songs back in track order, it was doing it alphabetically or something like that.

I'd assume the newer units like the X305 have fixed those issues. I'd just find a local place that sells it and try plugging you phone in and see how it handles.

The other unit I want to look at is the AVH-3200BT. It's a double-din with essentially the same specs for $130 more. I'm not totally sure I want to go double-din big screen because now I'm going to be paranoid of having that stolen too, but I bet it's easier to control than the 8200. I had a Pioneer before the X100 that I used with my ipod, I think that was the 7800, had a color screen and the one central knob that did everything, much like the 8200. It seemed like it'd be a good ipod controller for the wheel, but in practice if you have a ton of music and you want to scroll through it, it was a hassle. The Alpine was much better when it came to managing music. So in a way the 3200 could almost be the best of all worlds.

Bitgod
02-12-2010, 09:18 PM
Went by my local dealer, some of the x200 series are showing up, they have the 3200BT and I really liked it, but...Pioneer screwed the pooch. Maybe they just didn't have room because of the BT, but on the 3200BT, the only USB connector is the one on the front, the 3200DVD and 4200DVD have connectors on the back. Well there's no way in hell I'm driving around with a cable plugged into the front of my HU all the time, that'd be fine for a non-permanent unit, or I can see the front USB would be nice for filling up a 16GB USB flash drive and playing the music off of that, but I prefer to have my ipod connected and hidden away.

I asked about the 8200BT and they said it'd be coming in March. You know what, I went back to looking at the pics of the 8200BT on the Pioneer site, and it's the same deal breaker, the USB is on the front, not on the back. Sigh. I think I may go with the 4200DVD now and I may or may not add the extra BT module, list is $180. I'm not a heavy call maker, I just would have liked it on a new stereo, but I may skip it now. I can get a parrot hands free kit cheaper if I really want one.

Bitgod
02-12-2010, 11:56 PM
This unit from Kenwood might be interesting, but I'm not going to wait until April.

Kenwood gets into mech-free receiver game | CES 2010 - CNET (http://ces.cnet.com/8301-31045_1-10429258-269.html?tag=mncol)

sovereign
02-13-2010, 01:05 PM
This unit from Kenwood might be interesting, but I'm not going to wait until April.

Kenwood gets into mech-free receiver game | CES 2010 - CNET (http://ces.cnet.com/8301-31045_1-10429258-269.html?tag=mncol)

Check your Inbox. Thanks.

sovereign
02-13-2010, 02:37 PM
tag

captainkirkw
02-15-2010, 04:22 PM
I am also interested in these new Pioneer HU's and have held off on the Pioneer FH-P8000BT but just found out about the new JVC KW-XR810 coming out in March. You can read the release JVC Launches Car-Matching Double-DIN CD Receiver | JVC Consumer Press Releases (http://newsroom.jvc.com/2010/01/jvc-launches-car-matching-double-din-cd-receiver/#more-893) but the quick rundown is that is has:
TI / Burr-Brown 24-bit DAC
Bluetooth® Wireless Technology )
Front / Rear Dual USB Ports ( WAV / MP3 / WMA / iPod & iPhone Audio)
MP3 / WMA / WAV* - Compatible with ID3 / WMA Tag (CD / USB) NOTE: * Not compatible on CD / USB
Loudness Control in 3 Patterns
2.5V Line and Sunwoofer Output Level
3 Pre-Output Terminals (Front + Rear + Subwoofer)
Subwoofer Control
Full Dot LCD Display
App Mode for iPod / iPhone
2-Way Control for iPod / iPhone - Compatibility differs by Apple model
HD Radio® Ready (KT-HD300 required - Sold Separately)
SAT Radio Ready
HS-IVi Tuner
3-Band Parametric iEQ
Steering Wheel Remote Ready
MOSFET Power Amp - 50W x 4 Max (20W x 4 RMS)
Separated Varible-Color (30,000 x 30,000 Color Combinations

I wish it had 4 volt preamp out like the Pioneer units do but other than that it seems like it will be a pretty nice double din HU.

vfxbear
04-23-2010, 11:18 AM
I just purchased and installed this unit and here are some of my observations...

The Good:

The sound is amazing
The screen is clear and colourful
immediately recognized my iphone 3gs (It DOES disable all controls on the iphone when connected)
Bluetooth works flawlessly, but in order to pair the phone you must be parked and have the parking brake engaged
Contact lists from my iphone 3gs were IMMEDIATELY available (quickest I've seen on a unit)

The Bad:

Take a while to figure out how to use the controls and make changes, its counter-intuitive.
Many functions require you to have the car with the parking brake engaged in order to function. (Like the slideshows, or playing video, or even PAIRING a phone via blue tooth)
If you plan on using the iphone connector in the back you will need the CD-IU50V from pioneer - 3rd party cables seem to CHARGE the phone but the unit won't recognize the ipod...
It does NOT seem to be capable of playing audio (Ie ipod/pandora, etc) via the bluetooth connection as many decks seem to do (this is a BIG bummer to me)

I think once I figure everything out (mostly how to use the jog dial to do stuff) I will absolutely love it - especially if i find a trick to playing bluetooth audio...

komeil
07-18-2010, 02:35 AM
I don't think you can find a trick to playing Bluetooth audio, as it's not equipped with A2DP/AVRCP (http://blog.komeil.com/2010/03/pioneer-mvh-p8200bt-review-mech-free.html).

Luke Clemens
12-13-2010, 03:38 PM
I know if you have the MVH-P8200 (without the BT on the end) you can get a CD-BTB200 attachment via the "IP-Bus" link on the back. It has A2DP/AVRCP bluetooth audio streaming but it costs $140, and I have no idea if it will work with the MVH-P8200BT since it already has bluetooth.

Also for $36 you can get a CD-UB100 that will give you a rear USB port via the "IP-Bus" link as well. It has a few flaws but it's better than nothing...

There is a guy who has a good blog about it the IP-Bus accessories here: http://blog.komeil.com/2010/03/pioneer-mvh-p8200bt-review-mech-free.html .

I'm debating between the MVH-P8200 with a few IP-Bus accessories and a Sony DSX-S300BTX.

Pioneer MVH-P8200 + ICD-BTB200 + CD-UB100:
(+) Kick *** color display + video
(+) Pioneer's good reputation
(+) SD card reader
(-) No slide-out mp3 player tray
(-) Lots of cables and audio quality loss via analog conversion
(-) Clunky interface - hard to navigate menus

Sony DSX-S300BTX:
(+) Cool slide-out mp3 tray
(+) Supports mp3 disks/players in MSC and MTP modes
(+) Bluetooth is built in - no extra cables
(-) no LCD display, might washout in bright sunlight, no video
(-) Sony doesn't have the best reputation for car receivers

I've heard that when using lots of mp3s, both units are slow at loading and refreshing and require a FAT32 file system. They say browsing by folder is slow and they have to recreate the database whenever you switch inputs which can take several minutes. People have been getting around the issue by using 5000 or less mp3s even though they have 64gb thumb drives for $80. If the rumor is true, then that sux! Does anyone have any first hand experience with either of these units to verify this? Perhaps if the files are arranged in a certain folder configuration then these issues could be avoided?

lol! - I just realized that the link I posted to komeil's blog was the same as the link in the post above mine - except it was posted by komeil himself...