PDA

View Full Version : 4 10"s under the rear seat, Silverado ext cab

GI JOEY
01-27-2010, 04:26 PM
Got my port situation figured out so now I can move forward with the build. The fibergalss bottom is done and its time to cut more wood. Here is where I sit as of today.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j120/joebro82/FG1.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j120/joebro82/fg2.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j120/joebro82/ports1.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j120/joebro82/ports2.jpg

I have roughly 5.9cf before port displacement. Ought to be plenty to get me loud. I am a little low on port area but I hope to make that up with power and side firing the port. Subs are front firing.

This is the plan but add another port. Just gives you an idea what I am doing.

kmanian
01-27-2010, 07:47 PM
subcribed

GI JOEY
01-27-2010, 10:27 PM
OK here we go, Got /4 of the box built. Once the fiberglass drys I can start filling it up with sand till I get my airspace. Then back to figuring out my port length. I will assume that I will be around 5.9 after DD but We will see how close my guess was. I wouldnt mind being a little less. I would like to come in colse to 5 cubes after port displacement. Here she is, dryin in the garage makin my whole house smell like resin. The ports are just kinda sittin in there. I just wanted to make sure they would clear the floor hump and hell I just wanted to look at them. lol. Not too bad.

These are from the back side of the box. I dont want to move it around too much while its wet. I have a board over the top right now with some subs and a kinetik bat weighing it down.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j120/joebro82/subs.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j120/joebro82/box2.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j120/joebro82/box1.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j120/joebro82/box3.jpg

I will add another baf to the front when I am getting ready to mount the subs. I think I will recess the subs too. I have some 3/8" aluminum rod that I am using for the grill guard. I will take the rod over both subs on each side and use 2 rods per side.

tukn18s
01-27-2010, 10:49 PM
i sure do wish there was room under the seats of my TBSS. I couldnt even fit an amp if I wanted too. Gayyy.

Progress looks great man.

GI JOEY
01-27-2010, 10:58 PM
i sure do wish there was room under the seats of my TBSS. I couldnt even fit an amp if I wanted too. Gayyy.

Progress looks great man.

Crap I'll take the TBSS over my silverado any day. I actually almost got a blacl 2wd before i decided on a beater truck. I know a guy with a 2wd ss with a built lsx motor and a KB SC. He kept the exhaust tip stock and redid everything else forward of that including long tubes. It looks 100% stock and has around 700whp. Meth inject too. Freakin beautiful rides.

LIL bro has a reg TB fully oaded and I know what you are talkin about with the under seat thing. The fuse box takes up all the room.

tukn18s
01-27-2010, 11:01 PM
all the room for sure. I love my TBSS but I have issues with it haha. I need to be able to take golf clubs everywhere and putting a big speaker box back there ruins those possibilities. I shall be watching your build.

kylediablo
01-28-2010, 12:25 AM
nice to more people on here doing boxes UNDER the seats lol

Bobby322
01-28-2010, 09:50 AM
What year is your truck? 6 cubes under the seat is sick...got a friend who wants to put a box under his rear seats in his 05 avalance. He wants ****** prefabs with .5 cuft per sub lol

statonburrell
01-28-2010, 10:25 AM
how much you lift the rear seat? 4"?

GI JOEY
01-28-2010, 11:49 AM
This is a 4" lift on an 01 2500HD Silverado. As for the Avalanch I am not so sure he will be able to get anywhere near as much airspace as I got from mine. If I had an Av, I would just use it like a blowthrough. Hell its free. lol. And you wont have to cut a **** thing.

GI JOEY
01-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Awesome, Winter weather warning 8-12" of snow expected. Now I am gonna have to wait to get my airspace till it all clears up. How annoying. Guess I shoulda gotten to work sooner.

GI JOEY
01-28-2010, 02:44 PM
**** snow. now they say 8-16" and it is gonna go till tom afternoon.
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j120/joebro82/snow.jpg

GI JOEY
01-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Well I just hit a pretty big snag. I was messing with the subs looking them over and I got 4 ohm instead of 2 ohm. Now I will be **** at a 2 ohm load in series which limits me to only like 1900rms. 4 ohms gets me 2450+. ****. Well atleast I didnt plan on keeping these for all that long. I want to go to some DC level 3's when I get more money to put into this truck.

______
01-28-2010, 08:07 PM
4 10"s... thats crazy under the seat but its Looking good

GI JOEY
01-28-2010, 08:37 PM
4 10"s... thats crazy under the seat but its Looking good

Well just getting the 4 10's to fit is easy, But getting the airspace for ported was a lil tricky. I spent alot of time trying to fihure out how to get these to fit front facing and to get the ports to fit.

Jh8909
01-28-2010, 08:39 PM
lookin good so far man.

302yota
01-28-2010, 11:41 PM
turning out nice man....i'm bout to build a box for 2 10" type r's, for the same truck, now i can get some ideas.....why not downfiring the subs?, i heard of ppl getting good results from downfiring

GI JOEY
01-28-2010, 11:48 PM
turning out nice man....i'm bout to build a box for 2 10" type r's, for the same truck, now i can get some ideas.....why not downfiring the subs?, i heard of ppl getting good results from downfiring

Well I actually just pulled out 2 jl w6v2 12"s that were downfiring. I went to front firing these so I could get the subs to fit and the airspace for ported. Sealed woulda been ok downfiring but this will way outperform sealed. You can lift the seat 2" and downfire the 10's or you can frontfire them and port off the side or even do an external port coming off the back of the box. I have researched my a$$ off and found hat if going under the seat you can fire to the drivers side to get higher # on a mic. and a port on each side firing to the sides will get you the best sound.

302yota
01-28-2010, 11:58 PM
so you're sayin if i fire the subs to the front of the cab, and port firing to the driver side, i should see the best results?...if so how far should i lift the seat?

GI JOEY
01-29-2010, 01:26 PM
so you're sayin if i fire the subs to the front of the cab, and port firing to the driver side, i should see the best results?...if so how far should i lift the seat?

You might have to go 2 ". Just measure it. I had to do 4" because the subs couldnt fit 2 on each side. Plus the subs are 11" wide. Porting the box to the drivers side will get you higher #'s on a meter and it will be way louder on the passenger side. Porting to both side will be better for SQ. Firing the subs to the front gets you more airspace to make up for it being ported. I dont think you can get the subs to fit downfiring and have them ported.

302yota
01-29-2010, 02:09 PM
^ ok i'll measure his truck tonight, and see what i'm gonna have to do...thanks man

DonH
01-29-2010, 04:16 PM
looking forward to this build! goof job man!

GI JOEY
01-29-2010, 04:51 PM
looking forward to this build! goof job man!

:)

I would be done with the sub stage but the **** snow is about 10" deep right now. I still need to put the big Bat in under the hood. I cant fit it in the back. And I still need to do the extra big 3. I only have a 160 amp alt, and I will also run 2 runs of 4 from that bat to the amp. Thes have dual inputs for power and ground and 4 is as large as it will accept. I thought about going with o but th 2 runs of 4 will be enough. I barely got any dimming when I was running all stock off a single redtop. I might do this tom while I am waiting for things to clear up.

kmanian
01-29-2010, 06:53 PM
looking good kepp it coming

Cali_Screw
01-29-2010, 08:15 PM
looking good! Cant wait to start my build!

DonH
01-30-2010, 12:56 AM
it will be loud bro. i love trucks :D

GI JOEY
01-30-2010, 12:36 PM
it will be loud bro. i love trucks :D

I only hope. Ive punished my ears for some time now. Hope to make things worse. I still need to figure out my component placement too. I was thinking about getting some newer door panels and putting 2 6.5's in the doors instead of making some kicks.

Plottin4success
01-30-2010, 11:00 PM
I only hope. Ive punished my ears for some time now. Hope to make things worse. I still need to figure out my component placement too. I was thinking about getting some newer door panels and putting 2 6.5's in the doors instead of making some kicks.

Yes! I'm not a big fan of kicks.

GI JOEY
02-01-2010, 11:44 PM
The box is built and drying the rest overnight. It will be ready to pound in the morning. I decided to go with terminals by drilling 2 1/4" holes and using 9" of threaded steal and locking them down with nuts on either side then running equal length wires to each sub. 8gauge speaker wire. I just said screw it and I got the 8 which was just about the same price as 10. I terminated them tonight and I am putting the box in and screwing the subs in when I get home from the gym in the AM.

I still need to upgrade my electrical. I might build by bat box for the kinetik. I need to get more 1/0 guage wire and do the big 3 and parallel the second bat. I am going to put it under the hood and run 2 runs of 4 back to the amp. It accepts 2 4 guages. I am still waiting on my componets that I ordered to show. Pisses me off its been over 2 weeks since I ordered them.

I ended up with around 5.2 on the final measurements. I went with a little under 32 on the tuning. I might shorten them up if need be. Ill give it a listen first. I resined the entire inside of he box and had to do a little trimming of the flares on the inside but most of the flares re still there.

I'm ready to make some noise

DonH
02-02-2010, 11:37 AM
pics? vids?

Buck
02-02-2010, 12:06 PM
Looks pretty sick man. That's a lot of equipment for an under seat build.

GI JOEY
02-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Its in and its loud.I only cranked it to about 1/2 volume and the truck was flexing worse than it did with the 2 12" w6's.

I did pull a retarded move when I first put the subs in. Hooked one up in series but put the + and - back a$$wards. I had to leave the sec I put the subs in and cranked it up when I drove away and at almost full volume my voltaige dropped way low, the backwards sub was bottoming out and it just sounded like crap. I was like cra p I guess I am going back to the JL's they were wy louder. lol. I figured it out after adjusting the amp a lil and noticing i wasnt getting a max voltaige light so I figured I had something miss wired. I feel like a retard. I didnt fry anything but I am glad I turned the power off the sec it started bottoming out. PS I broke the subs in yesterday for around 8 hrs. I played each pair at 4 ohms giving them only like 650 rms for each pair. I played tones and a bass CD.

kmanian
02-02-2010, 05:30 PM
pics

GI JOEY
02-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Ill get them soon. **** I really need to upgrade the electrical. I can barely get it going before it cuts out. O can feel it begging for more. They are just getting really moving when the amp cuts out which is really bad for the subs.

Oh and I was trying to figure out why my subs were bottoming out really bad and werent even moving that much. Well after like an hout of troubleshooting I figured out that the support bar on the back bottom of the seat was actually bouncing up and down on the box. I put some towels under there for now. It was really loud and I was freakin out. lol.

I am going to order some wire in 2 sec. They want to charge 4 bucks a foot for 4 and 750 a foot for 0. lol. Right, They can keep that crap. Its just stinger wire too.

Cali_Screw
02-02-2010, 11:50 PM
you need pictures ASAP! Sounds like a bad *** setup

GI JOEY
02-03-2010, 08:23 AM
It does pretty **** good for some 10's and not being able to push them. Ill put some pics up after the gym. Videos to come later today. I folded a beach towel lengthways to 4 layers and put that under the support bar and that helped alot. I might lift the rear seat another 1/4 inch to see if that gets rid of that noise completely. The seat actually lifts up like an inch when he bass hits. lol. Not very fun to sit on it when it does though.

GI JOEY
02-03-2010, 09:25 AM
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j120/joebro82/installed.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j120/joebro82/frontview.jpg
See it fit. Now time to buy more power wire.

C_james7
02-03-2010, 10:09 AM
**** 5*s

oxsign
02-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Therese just no way someone can sit back there with out being completely uncomfortable, or putting a foot through a sub. I would've just pulled the seat, and made a removable box that you can just replace with the seat if/when you need it. But if your happy with it, and it sounds good then good job to you.

GI JOEY
02-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Actually I am 6'1" and can sit there but I have to slouch. My son is the only one that sits there and he is 8. I have some aluminum rods that I am about to bend to cover the subs. Kinda like the JL grills for the W7. I kinda have to move the seat forward a lil for people to fit but my son likes to sit in the middle and my wife said she likes sitting up higher in the back so she can see out the front. It really isnt that bad. One of her friends actually said she didnt notice till I said something.

Oh a side note I prob shoulda done a lil more internal bracing along the top front. The glue actually busted loose. I assume that having the subs plus the seat slamming against the box was too much for it to handle. I screwed it down all along th top but I will need to do more than that. I am thinking about puting a piece of mdf that is the lengh of the front and doing it like 2" wide and glueing and screwing it in to support the top along he front. I guess the glue wasnt thick enough or it didnt dry very strong because of the cold.

robertoyoung08
02-03-2010, 01:14 PM
really nice build man.
my se's come in today!!!! just got my sundown amp last night.
hopefully box build this weekend or next, and i should be upgrading alt and hopefully il have a nice loud set up like yours.
get some vids up!
looks really clean!

GI JOEY
02-05-2010, 09:29 AM
i am thinking about pulling a little of the airspace out and seeing how they soung. i sm thinking i might have a little too much. im just gonna test it by putting some mdf or something in the box just to test it out. ill add .2 at a time

GI JOEY
02-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Ordered the wire this wekend so I have 35' of 1/0 for under the hood paralleling the bats, kinetik 1400 supercel, then running 1/0 to a dist block in the rear and 2 short runs of 4 into the amp. I also got new ground wire. Both mounted to the truck frame as short as I can get them. They are just 4 gauge but ought to be good enough. So I will have a 1/0 big 3 too ontop of the slightly modded stock electrical with a 160 amp alt. I mal look at adding a second alt in the future.

Still need to carpet the box.

Ill put up a vid today.
The roof flex is horrid. I am gonna get some foam and fill the braces a little at a time. Som second skin is next on the list.

Joseph K
02-08-2010, 07:56 PM
dang man, that's crazy... got measurements of the box? I'm about to do 2 12"s downfire in mine. Right now I've just got a single ported BL 10" with ~1300 watts.

thericanballer
02-08-2010, 08:08 PM
nice

Dean
02-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Really clean and nice...good job dude

GI JOEY
02-09-2010, 11:14 PM
dang man, that's crazy... got measurements of the box? I'm about to do 2 12"s downfire in mine. Right now I've just got a single ported BL 10" with ~1300 watts.

Ill get the measuements tom. I had them written down but its been a week or so since I looked at them. Its doing its jub so far. Sounds alot better now that I fixed the box. Still want to seal it better but I will wait till I carpet the box to do that.

You can downfire the 2 12"s pretty easy, a 2" lift is prob needed but you will need to figure out how deep the subs are. I pulled 2 12" w6v2's and went to this setup.

Joseph K
02-09-2010, 11:41 PM
Ill get the measuements tom. I had them written down but its been a week or so since I looked at them. Its doing its jub so far. Sounds alot better now that I fixed the box. Still want to seal it better but I will wait till I carpet the box to do that.

You can downfire the 2 12"s pretty easy, a 2" lift is prob needed but you will need to figure out how deep the subs are. I pulled 2 12" w6v2's and went to this setup.

Thanks man.

robertoyoung08
02-10-2010, 12:23 AM
Thanks man.

you ever get those videos?
upload some

GI JOEY
02-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Well the video caoera i was using. The Kinon whatever ***** for video. It looks like the subs move 3 times a sec when they are pumping at like 35 hz. I just think the videos **** like that. Im looking for my charger for my other camera. When I do Ill post something up.

GI JOEY
02-10-2010, 10:16 PM
Preview of the subs moving. the camera only catches like a 1 out of 10 movements. Ill use my bette rone next.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j120/joebro82/th_DSCN2366-1.jpg (http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j120/joebro82/?action=view&current=DSCN2366-1.flv)

atlninja82
02-11-2010, 06:49 PM
dang dude. def the best setup ive seen under the seats.

Cali_Screw
02-11-2010, 09:33 PM
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa94/cuseikan/anotherseatview.jpg

Looks good. I did a 8" lif in my silverado. Managed to get 2 12" subs to fire forward. How did you keep your seat from tilting forward, and do your seat belts still work?

I'm also 6' 1" and could sit back there comfortable. And the box was pushed forward in that pic. It would go back about 3" but would keep shaking itself into that position.

holy ****

GI JOEY
02-11-2010, 09:51 PM
Lets take it up a knotch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78JcaMGsYI4

still cant run the subs to full. On the song I played I am 3 knotches low on the volume compared to what I can do with he RPM's up.

As for the seat it stays up on its own. I also lifted the seatbelts too so they work just like they would without the lift. My box wont move because the fiberglass holds it in the knotches in the floor.

GI JOEY
02-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Ill get a better video once the snow is gone so you can actually see the roof fleq. The white kinda blends in huh? lol.

Gangsta
02-11-2010, 11:49 PM
thats alot of excursion. Man that seat is shaking alot. Looks really loud dude nice.

billetproof97'
02-12-2010, 02:57 AM
Got my port situation figured out so now I can move forward with the build. The fibergalss bottom is done and its time to cut more wood. Here is where I sit as of today.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j120/joebro82/FG1.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j120/joebro82/fg2.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j120/joebro82/ports1.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j120/joebro82/ports2.jpg

I have roughly 5.9cf before port displacement. Ought to be plenty to get me loud. I am a little low on port area but I hope to make that up with power and side firing the port. Subs are front firing.

This is the plan but add another port. Just gives you an idea what I am doing.

very very cool. i was wondering how you got that "hump" in the box to clear that tunnel. now i know to use fiberglass for it. im glad i came across your build.

Cali_Screw
02-12-2010, 04:29 AM
effing Sick!

GI JOEY
02-12-2010, 09:38 AM
very very cool. i was wondering how you got that "hump" in the box to clear that tunnel. now i know to use fiberglass for it. im glad i came across your build.

Thats why the mods were smart enough to do this section. Helps a ton to have setups that others have dont so you can use others ideas and learn from their mistakes. The fiberglass ended up being pretty expensive. Actually the entire box was. The aeros and fiberglass was prob almost $300. lol.

As for the excursion I think the camera makes it look worse than it actually is. They move pretty good though. I still have a little harder that I can push them without them bottoming out and the amp cuting out. I really need to sand and carpet the box. And do the electrical. The wire should be here today.

Villeza1
02-12-2010, 10:13 AM
*****5 stars, GJ

GI JOEY
02-12-2010, 10:53 AM
*****5 stars, GJ

Thank you. Im pretty happy thus far. I learned I cent leave open containers anything over half filled in the truck. My floor is covered with freakin monster. So now I have a sticky floor. Kinda like a cup trick but on the inside of the truck. lol.

billetproof97'
02-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Thats why the mods were smart enough to do this section. Helps a ton to have setups that others have dont so you can use others ideas and learn from their mistakes. The fiberglass ended up being pretty expensive. Actually the entire box was. The aeros and fiberglass was prob almost $300. lol.

As for the excursion I think the camera makes it look worse than it actually is. They move pretty good though. I still have a little harder that I can push them without them bottoming out and the amp cuting out. I really need to sand and carpet the box. And do the electrical. The wire should be here today.
dang $300 bones. i should have expected this with the fiberglass and materials to do this kind of job. i will probably be using half of what you used tho. so it might not be too bad.

LDW3RD
02-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Very nice job.

GI JOEY
02-12-2010, 04:23 PM
dang $300 bones. i should have expected this with the fiberglass and materials to do this kind of job. i will probably be using half of what you used tho. so it might not be too bad.

Well the aeros were like 60. So the fiberglass was around $250 but I also went a little crazy on the fiberglass. I used over 3 gallons of resin. I think I am over a half inch thick.

guacho80
02-12-2010, 04:37 PM
I was actaully impressed. Very nice setup. Very nice setup. Needed to say it twice!

GI JOEY
02-16-2010, 10:28 PM
I built the battery tray, went to start wiring the 1/0 under the hood and the freakin +JL terminal broke. So it looks like I am either gonna buy some more or I might just say screw it and use some ghetto ones from the auto parts store, Ill look and seewhats around. I'm leaning toward ghetto because I am going broke. All th wire came in and I also put in a new deck. Alpine 8994. It actually sounds better than the old alpine and the vol isnt tripping out at 22. I also ordered some MB coax 6.5's to replce the ghetto pioneeres. Driver door is blown.

Still need to fab up something for the kick pods. I want to replace the door panels with some newer ones so I can put 2 sets of comp in but that will have to wait.

GI JOEY
02-24-2010, 10:19 PM
Got the power wire run, sadly the second bat didnt do it for me. Its better but still cuttin out and dropping on me.

So the SPL tiles are going in and the roof is getting some foam in the bracing. Gonna firm her up. I also got some MB coaxes to throw in to replace the blown free pioneeres I have in the doors now. I need to put the mid/ high amp in too and the other comps but I dont know what I want to do with the comps. Might just do some kick pods eventhough I dont like them.

GI JOEY
02-25-2010, 11:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTNxeSkXQJE
Another one with a little better power. Still need a HO alt.

Bobby322
02-25-2010, 11:43 AM
love it! You going to put grills on the subs because it seems like people feet would be all over them. Grills are ugly though...

GI JOEY
02-25-2010, 12:05 PM
love it! You going to put grills on the subs because it seems like people feet would be all over them. Grills are ugly though...

Yes I am. I have some aluminum rod that I will bend kinda like the JL grills. I will cover 2 subs with each bar an do 2 or 3 bars per side. I havent decided yet. I am leaning toward 3 so I can keep my sons feet off the subs.

GI JOEY
02-25-2010, 07:34 PM
I am lovin the tiles. The truck seems louder and the truck isnt all rattles. I need to put some of the leftovers along the back wall too but 80% of my rattles was fixed with the foam and the spl tiles.

I Like Waffle
02-25-2010, 09:49 PM
Love the install, i didnt think the 2 subs would clear the ports though, must be close. Youre pushing the **** out of those 10s, lol.

http://i45.tinypic.com/106ekwg.jpg

CranberryYumYum
02-25-2010, 09:58 PM
yeah no ****^^ haha oh my science that's some excursion

GI JOEY
02-26-2010, 12:32 AM
Yeah they move pretty good. Honestly in person they really dont look like they move that far. I honestly think part of it is the camera. As for the ports I had to trim a little off the flare and had to use a full double baffle to get them to clear. I have about an inch of room between the mag and the aero. If works nicely though.

Coltsrock
07-25-2010, 03:20 AM
how many total cubes is that box?read your sig. nvm

Amir09
02-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Hey man I have a question for you. I got a 2006 1500HD silverado.. I have 2 12" powerd by a 2000watt amp,kenwood and crunch,I am going to lift my back seat so I can port the box.. My idea was to build an open chamber box and put 2 ports on the bottom of the box on each side? I would like an opinion on this.. also when u lifted your seat how did you secure the back of the seat so it wont fall forward? Did you have to do some frabrication or was it as simple as lifting the hooks where they hold on? Thanks alot..