PDA

View Full Version : Infinity Kappas

CarAudioNewbie9
01-25-2010, 12:47 AM
Why do people say the Infinity Kappa 6x9s sound harsh? I just heard them and wow, they are very bright, yes, but they sound amazing.

Bass911
01-25-2010, 02:04 AM
I know what you're talking about. I was trying to explain this in another thread. That's why I tell people they need to listen for themselves. I think some people just have sensitive ears because some on here say the same about Boston, Mb Quart, and Focal. I had a Sq guy tell me a long time ago that I had too many highs, but everyone else said my car sounded way better than his. Kappas are not the best, but will always sell just because of the tweeter. I know a guy with 4 Infinity Reference in a Charger. He was chilling at this audio shop playing his system outside at low volume, and everyone kept asking him what kind of highs he had.

timaishu
01-25-2010, 02:34 AM
Ive ran the reference line and I dont they are absolutely not harsh at all as long as you dont have the crossover set to 0db. At 0db on the crossover there was alot of noticeable sibilance that was annoying. However, when set to -3db the sibilance was gone and they sounded fantastic.

I honestly would buy them again if it werent for the fact I would like to try something else and that they lacked midbass.

surreal
01-25-2010, 02:44 AM
The Kappas I heard were pretty harsh, but considering they were turned up to a very high volume I cant say much.
The highs were very blunt, with very little mids, and the speakers didnt have the warm feeling Id personally prefer. So meh.

Chrispy
01-25-2010, 06:02 PM
I've used Kappas and Refs. The Refs sound much better with the silk dome but the Kappas got louder. I'll be going with some Pro Audio mids and highs eventually.

gunz4me2
01-25-2010, 06:36 PM
I had FOUR Kappa 6x8s in my Mustang and couldn't wait to rip those sorry pieces o sheet out of there. The highs were uber harsh with real amplification, they lacked midbass, and they just sounded funny. I think for 2010, Infinity finally changed things up and implemented something besides the MMD, ear bleeding, technology that they have used since 2000 or so.

Oddly, when they were just drop in factory replacements run off of HU power, I found that the Kappas sounded way better than stock. It wasn't until I gave them 100 watts RMS each that they nearly tore my head off.

Doola36
01-25-2010, 10:34 PM
I like my kappas in my truck. I like them so much that I'm going to to install two pairs in my car