PDA

View Full Version : The current state of Sony headunits?

enigma77
01-21-2010, 04:15 PM
I am looking for buy a HU for my cr-v soon and have been lurking around here for info. my budget is below 130-140 and have narrowed my search down to Pioneer deh-2200ub, Kenwood KDC-MP345U (MP342U replacement), JVC KD-HDR50 and the Sony CDX-GT640UI. I plan on using the stock speakers and my only requirement is USB to use with a thumb stick. It seems that pioneer and kenwood are fairly well respected but i am not sure about sony. any insight and suggestions would be awesome.

thanks

chawski
01-21-2010, 06:10 PM
Of what you have listed, my vote goes to Kenwood. Ive had horrible experiences with pioneer, and never heard a single good thing about sony car audio.

tehWorstest
01-21-2010, 08:16 PM
Sony Headunits are amazing if you are on a super tight budget but since you have others on that list, id go with the Kenwood.

TurdFergueson2
01-21-2010, 08:50 PM
Though everything in car audio is equally important, I tend to try and find the best HU I can afford. With that being said, a Sony HU will never find it's way in none of my rides.

jmanpc
01-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole. I worked at Circuit City for a while and pretty much every head unit return was a Sony.

ejschultz
01-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole. I worked at Circuit City for a while and pretty much every head unit return was a Sony.

I noticed that too and I didn't even work in car audio. I was in TVs there.

mythyone
01-21-2010, 10:14 PM
Ive used sony HU's for about 3 years now. Never had an issue with mine. Their not the greatest, but seem to do the job.

*Sorry about the spelling mazda*

94Mazda626
01-21-2010, 11:20 PM
Ive used sony HU's for about 3 years now. Never had an issue with mine. There not the greatest, but seem to do the job.

Are you going to trust the opinion of someone who doesn't know the difference between there and their?

mythyone
01-21-2010, 11:24 PM
Are you going to trust the opinion of someone who doesn't know the difference between there and their?

My bad, lack of sleep catches up to you i guess. Fixed it for ya.

enigma77
01-21-2010, 11:51 PM
thanks for all the responses guys. so i guess kenwood it will be. btw how are JVCs?

hatedonmostly
01-21-2010, 11:52 PM

they're/they are?

:wow:

power-fanatic07
01-21-2010, 11:55 PM

if you are going to correct someone at least be correct when correcting :fyi:

birdmanpresents
01-22-2010, 12:52 AM
JVC is about the same as Sony, id stay away from both.

Go with the Kenwood or Pioneer.

Bass911
01-22-2010, 01:49 AM
I think Pioneer has the strongest amp to run those stock speakers. Panasonic is gone I think, but they pushed speakers just as good as the Pioneer. Alpine pushes pretty good too. I've used all of those brands and some don't put out what they say. I guess it doesn't matter that much since you're only running stock?

enigma77
01-22-2010, 02:29 AM
I think Pioneer has the strongest amp to run those stock speakers. Panasonic is gone I think, but they pushed speakers just as good as the Pioneer. Alpine pushes pretty good too. I've used all of those brands and some don't put out what they say. I guess it doesn't matter that much since you're only running stock?

yes, i'll be running stock. comparing between pioneer and kenwood, their amps should only be marginally different, correct?

94Mazda626
01-22-2010, 10:53 PM
they're/they are?

:wow:

if you are going to correct someone at least be correct when correcting :fyi:

LOL, What can I say. Working 12 ten hour days in a row can get to you.

JVC is about the same as Sony, id stay away from both.

Go with the Kenwood or Pioneer.

JVC is not about the same as Sony. I have a JVC KD-G820 that is ~3 years old in my car and never had a problem with it, previously I had a KD-G210 (I think was the model) that was also bulletproof. The 820 I have has a 24 bit burr brown DAC, very good SQ for the price.

olds97_lss
04-02-2010, 12:14 AM
I had a JVC that was a step or two above the KD-R210. It sounded great if you didn't turn up the bass or run the volume very high. If you did both, you could only turn the volume up about 75% then this horrible popping sound would happen through the speakers. I took it back and tried another one that was another step up, it did the same exact thing.

Then I tried a pioneer that was around the same price at the time (2 years ago, $140) and it's sound was flat out hideous. I took it back and got another pioneer that was a step up in price and it sounded exactly the same, horrible.

Then I picked up a kenwood KDC-X692 and after a lot of tweaking, it sounded great and went almost 100% volume without cracking. Lasted a whole year, then just yesterday went belly up on me on my way home from work. Was running the volume around 75% and all of the sudden, it shut off. I thought maybe it overheated, so I tried it the next morning. Still dead. Pulled it and checked all contacts and fuses. Still dead.

Just got home from BB and picked up a Sony KD-R210. Sounded great in the store, had more features than a comparable kenwood and since my last kenwood died in a year, I was kind of looking at all of them. The pioneers still sound horrible and the JVC's still pop.

I don' run an amp and my car is a 06 Mercury Grand Marquis. I'm running Pioneer TS-A6973R speakers in the rear deck and front doors. They sounded pretty good with the kenwood and also in the store where I tried the Sony.

audiolife
04-02-2010, 03:28 PM
I would take my sony over about anything but a new stage 4 pioneer

hellouser
04-03-2010, 12:51 AM
If youre planning on using a USB drive, be prepared for some really miserable experiences all around. Most units ive test (and all units from sony) organize files and folders by creation date, NOT in alphabetical order. The only units that seem to organize by alphabet are JVCs. Pioneers, some do it right, some don't (the logic is amazing, i've only recently gotten into car audio and I can't believe how poor the choices are for mp3 based playback).

Check out the youtube video posted by mporettim, that should be the deck of your choice. Spend a little more and you get a LOT more benefits. I've got a R900 on order, should arrive on monday. I'll give you my take on it if you want (prolly will make a video of it as well).

I am looking for buy a HU for my cr-v soon and have been lurking around here for info. my budget is below 130-140 and have narrowed my search down to Pioneer deh-2200ub, Kenwood KDC-MP345U (MP342U replacement), JVC KD-HDR50 and the Sony CDX-GT640UI. I plan on using the stock speakers and my only requirement is USB to use with a thumb stick. It seems that pioneer and kenwood are fairly well respected but i am not sure about sony. any insight and suggestions would be awesome.

thanks

blazeplacid
04-06-2010, 10:03 AM
the sony units ive installed in my friends cars have always been decent

top notch SQ, no. But for the $200 they are ok for most

connersdad19
04-06-2010, 10:23 AM
i have had my sony for almost 4 years now and have not had a problem out of it

nateberrier
04-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Alpine CDE-100 has usb and aux for less than 100. Not amazing but it will do what youre asking and it sounds good. Put one in my GFs car, great budget unit.

Not a huge alpine fan but itl do the best job for the price.

Any higher of a budget and id go with Pioneer for sure.

Louisiana_CRX
04-06-2010, 10:47 AM
The Sony headunits are better than Pyle's headunits......if that helps any.....

philnutz1
04-03-2011, 11:26 AM
I have been out of car audio for almost ten years so i guess alot has changed, but i wouldn't trade my old sony mobile es deck for any of the crap thats sold today.

d77543020
04-03-2011, 11:58 AM
I have been out of car audio for almost ten years so i guess alot has changed, but i wouldn't trade my old sony mobile es deck for any of the crap thats sold today.yep sony is not what they used to be