PDA

View Full Version : JL Audio XR650Csi vs Image Dynamics CTX65cs

turbognx
01-19-2010, 05:23 PM
I can't decide and it's driving me insane. Any opinions on the JL's vs the ID's. I'm looking for SQ first and then strong midbass with detailed highs. Would a comparably priced set of DLS or Focal blow both of these away. I'll be feeding them 125watts.

Unfotunately where I'm at in Michigan the local audio places only carry the Jellos'.:(

manny1337
01-19-2010, 05:53 PM
Id all the way.

turbognx
01-19-2010, 08:53 PM
I know everyone says just listen to different speakers and choose the one that i like. I do whenever possible, but I'd also like to hear other opinions. For me the opinions on these car audio forum sites are priceless becuase there generally unbiased. What I mean is, it's not like a magazine review where they're trying to keep advertisers happy. Some of these car and audio mags will give a good review when everyone knows what their reviewing is a piece of junk but they won't bad mouth it because they don't want to lose that potential advertising dollar.

manny1337
01-19-2010, 09:29 PM
actually alot of people are biased on here. just to let you know =P

SPOOLEDCRXB18
01-19-2010, 09:49 PM
I have thethe JL set, and while they get loud and sound pretty good I was very dissapointed in the woofer. Mid-bass was very lacking in mine. The 4's are a little harsh at upp vocal range but i was bale to clean em up with the eq. On rock music and more vocal kind stuff they sound great but hip hop is a little sh!tty. Just my opinion

had em on 250w at first and was a bit too much(obviously) now they are on about 90w and sound decent but could prolly be happier with a lil more power.

turbognx
01-19-2010, 09:49 PM
I know they may be biased to certain brands because thats what they use, but there not biased for financial reasons. Well most of them are'nt.

turbognx
01-20-2010, 12:52 AM
Anyone?

Villeza1
01-20-2010, 01:02 AM
Id

cleansound27
01-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Jls if you have them on a decent amp, however if you have them on some cheap piece of junk, they wont sound nearly as good.
JL is the best man.

Sir-Lancelot
01-24-2010, 11:30 AM
Unbiased, puuulease.

I have had many different sets of comps and the ID CTX are an excellent bang for the buck. Your install will help or hurt midbass more that the speaker itself.
Seal off those doors and deaden the vibrations. You want to block the rear of the driver from reaching the front. The CTX are not midbass monsters, but if installed properly you can cross them at 60 or so and they do ok.

pearlsjam79
01-24-2010, 03:43 PM
I have heard both. I just finished my first ever build and I would have put whatever sounded best to my ears in my truck, brand made no difference. I listened to three sets at various shops around. Kicker QS, JL Evolution C5s and The Id's. The Id's sounded best to me so that is what I went with. Very smooth, detailed, articulate and excellent midbass. I have two layers of edead80 on the doors and 150rms to each set. I listen to mostly rock, alternative indie type music. For the money, they are fantastic! Hope this helps.

Horsemanwill
01-24-2010, 06:09 PM
here's two links you could read there's acually a whole article in the mag

Full Range System Roundup, Jl Audio C5-650x, Kenwood Excelon KFC-X1710 more - Car Audio & Electronics Magazine (http://www.caraudiomag.com/reviews/caep_0809_fullrange_system_roundup_speakers_review _jl_audio_c5_650x/index.html)

Full Range Speaker Roundup, Part 3 - Car Audio and Electronics (http://www.caraudiomag.com/reviews/caep_0810_speaker_roundup_image_dynamics_eclipse_e xile/index.html)

also keep in mind the JL set you are considering is discontinued. but in the round up they tested a 550 dollar JL set to a 170 dollar ID set and the ID set won.

cleansound27
01-24-2010, 07:06 PM
But what do you guys even go for in a speaker? When you say sound better, does that mean SQ wise or SPL wise?

pearlsjam79
01-24-2010, 07:47 PM
A good set of comps properly powered should have excellent sound quality and get plenty loud. The biggest things factors for me were tweeter smoothness and midbass performance. The Id's won by a mile.

turbognx
01-24-2010, 09:37 PM
here's two links you could read there's acually a whole article in the mag

Full Range System Roundup, Jl Audio C5-650x, Kenwood Excelon KFC-X1710 more - Car Audio & Electronics Magazine (http://www.caraudiomag.com/reviews/caep_0809_fullrange_system_roundup_speakers_review _jl_audio_c5_650x/index.html)

Full Range Speaker Roundup, Part 3 - Car Audio and Electronics (http://www.caraudiomag.com/reviews/caep_0810_speaker_roundup_image_dynamics_eclipse_e xile/index.html)

also keep in mind the JL set you are considering is discontinued. but in the round up they tested a 550 dollar JL set to a 170 dollar ID set and the ID set won.

Thanks a ton. Very helpful articles. Oh, and I know the XR's are discontinued thats why I was looking at them. They can be found real cheap right now, under $180 shipped. And from my personal listening comparisons I think they sound as good if not better than the C-5's that are replacing them.

Bass911
01-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Thanks a ton. Very helpful articles. Oh, and I know the XR's are discontinued thats why I was looking at them. They can be found real cheap right now, under $180 shipped. And from my personal listening comparisons I think they sound as good if not better than the C-5's that are replacing them.

I like the Id's. $180 was all the JL's were worth in the first place.

genxx
01-25-2010, 10:03 PM
You need to give the new Hybrid Audio Imagine 6.5 set a listen. I just got my first listen last week on Friday at Advantage Audio.

Listening impressions.

Midbass/Bottom end very good. I was surprised at how much midbass these had was not expecting them to get down low as well as they did.

Midrange-Very good what you would expect from a HAT product. Clean, accurate, not in your face or to laid back, just right.

Tweeter-Very Smooth with no harshness. Good top end for a set in this price range.

Myself and the guys at the shop A, B, C compared these to everything on the board.

List of everything that I compared the Imagine line in coaxial set-up to.

Hertz DSK165, Energy line ECX165, ESK165. The ECX could almost hang with them on the bottom end, not as good in the midrange and the Imagine highs where on another level. Pretty much same outcome with the ESK but the ESK tweeter is close to the Imagine line but again the midrange was just not as good.

Hertz Hi-Energy line HCX165 (well over $200 for this set)-The HCX did have better bottom end than the Imagine, midrange was pretty equal but to me the tweeter was just a little better on the Imagine.

So I found nothing in the Hertz line-up for $200 that could match the Imagine line.

Diamond Audio-Only thing I am going to say is the Imagine line were on another level even going well above the $200 mark.

JL Audio-XR650xi lacked bottom end compared to the Imagine. XR could just not fill out the bottom end as well. Midrange preferred Imagine, XR just seemed off in some of the vocal regions. Tweeter was very bright on the XR. Imagine again better tweeter.

The C5 is above the price and marketed a lot higher than the Imagine line.
C5650x Midrange was as good as Imagine but just more laid back different sound. Midbass about equal really. Tweeter about equal really. On some songs I preferred the C5 on others the Imagine.

C5650 about the same as above. The component set that was set-up with a little tuning did sound better then the Imagine.

All in all you are going to have to spend more than $200 to bet the Imagine line and in some brands it does not matter if you buy their $400 speakers they still get beat.

IMO These are a winner. After SBN I will be making some switches to the wifes vehicle. Removing the CDT in there now for the Imagine. Can't wait for a 5x7-6x8 version for the Ford rear doors ect.

The guys at Advantage Audio agreed and we all pretty much had the same assessment except some preferred the C5 a little better and some liked certain things about the HCX more. One thing we all agreed on was that there is nothing in the store for $200 that sound better period.

Hoodlum007
01-26-2010, 01:05 AM
I ran the XR comps years ago and could not stand the tweeters, I am now using the ID's and like them much better overall. Deaden them doors well and the ID's will kick on the midbass.

kevin lu
01-28-2010, 02:21 AM
never buy JL products again sorry JL, but ID is really that good? 1 of my Polk SR speaker is not play today and i am looking for a set of comp right now, what else is good be side ID in $400 range?

kizz
01-28-2010, 02:56 PM
I agree about jl xr tweets, pretty hard on the ears, not much midbass. I did like the c5 set on the demo board tho, i wuld still want more midvass

cleansound27
01-29-2010, 10:06 PM
never buy JL products again sorry JL, but ID is really that good? 1 of my Polk SR speaker is not play today and i am looking for a set of comp right now, what else is good be side ID in $400 range?

Um why no more Jl?

Horsemanwill
01-29-2010, 10:07 PM
besides ID i'd go Hybrid audio

kevin lu
01-30-2010, 12:22 AM
Um why no more Jl?

for the money you can get a lot better

kevin lu
01-30-2010, 12:26 AM
[QUOTE=Horsemanwill;6938659]besides ID i'd go Hybrid audio[/QU
Hybrid Audio doesn't have any thing under $400 and i don't like entry level

misfit138
01-30-2010, 12:36 AM
JL is the best man.

lulz

Hoodlum007
01-30-2010, 02:17 PM
Find a local shop and try to listen to both the jl and the Id and see what you like better.

turbognx
01-30-2010, 05:14 PM
Problem is there's not a shop in Michigan that sells both.

Find a local shop and try to listen to both the jl and the Id and see what you like better.

Jeremy M
02-01-2010, 07:46 PM
I have both brands installed in 2 diff. cars and can say....u aren't gonna go wrong with either with the sets u mentioned (ID and JL)

cam5860
05-16-2010, 03:55 AM
Take people's word man image dynamics is the shitt! I got 4 of the ID8's and I am sold for life. I have had every brand of 8's there is over the past ten years and I have never heard 8 inch subs sound this good. Jl audio subs and amps are solid. But you want to stay away from there speakers. It's there weak point. To much better sounding stuff out here to be throwing your money away on jl speakers.