PDA

View Full Version : Looking to replace 6x9s and 6.5"

PsychoTeddy
01-13-2010, 02:32 AM
Hey guys. This would mark my first post here, I guess. Anyways, I'm an up-and-coming audiophile-ish type person and am looking to do something serious with my car.

I've got a 2001 Hyundai Elantra and want to throw some extra bass response in it without doing subs. I made the sad mistake of making an impulse buy last year and wound up with Infinity Reference 6x9's on the deck and 6.5"s in the door. They're not amped, but even then they're smacking the voice coil around and throwing a lot of rattling into the equation even at extremely low and moderate volume levels: not cool.

I listen to a lot of Electro House, Drum and Bass, Dance, etc and want something that will deliver tight, accurate, undistorted bass to my ears. I however, do not want something that is going to ignore mids and highs. Basically, I want something that is going to have an ungodly amount of bass but will at the same time deliver crisp and warm mids and highs that I can hear over the thumping. Money is not really THAT big of an issue, but I would like to keep it reasonable, no $400 6x9s. I've been looking at Boston Acoustics sets and I've heard that they are cream of the crop when it comes to punishing bass, but I want to hear it from people that know what they're doing. Help me out guys. :D

EDIT: Also, is there anyone that can tell me exactly what is wrong with my current set? They're not blown, but the voice coil rattles even in free air. I've got weather stripping around the edges to prevent the basket from rattling the frame of the deck (It's not interfering with the surround at all, I've made sure of that) and the same in the doors. Maybe they're just ****** speakers but who knows. :\

boogeyman
01-13-2010, 06:05 PM
The backside of the cone could be hitting the Tinsel leads on the speakers. If the speakers are not blown, I would amp them that will put you closer to your goal, and you would have 1 more piece of your future system. If still not happy I would completely and properly deaden your doors and back deck. What I am trying to get at is to do everything you can with what you got before switching speakers, you may be surprised and save a little money........but definitly spend the money on an amp,and properly deadening the doors and rear deck. Thats your best next move