PDA

View Full Version : Car sub in living room, yay no nay?

scottyk
01-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Hey all, I bought my mom a pair a bose bookshelf speakers for Christmas to replace her floor standing ones that are mad old. The new bose ones get just as loud and she wants to wall mount them to save room, only issue is they produce almost no bass compared to her old ones which had a 10 inch driver in each. I'm thinking of just getting her a low grade car audio sub and running it off of her receiver. Anyone have any experience with doing this? I used to run a small visonik 10 in a prefab sealed box in my room for fun and it would get loud enough to shake the walls before throwing the receiver into protect and shutting it off. I'm trying to keep the cost decently low and I ask about a car sub because actual home audio subs seem to be priced much higher from my research? Any suggestions? Anything online worth buying? I'm also looking for something already in a box, don't car if its prefab or not. Just not looking to spend 200+ on a 10 from bestbuy.

BTW, I tried searching already. Just gives me a white screen

westman995
01-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Ya if your looking to spend 200 bucks, just buy a powered sub made for the home application. Period.

Running a sub off a receiver is not really a great idea. Unless it has a sub output channel for a sub, not a pre-out. Which by the sounds of it, it doesnt. I used to run a couple rockford HE2 subs on my reciever a long time ago, sure it worked and ususlly just went into protect, but one day it burnt the thing out, so eventually it will burn out more than likely.

Buy a cheap powered sub for 200 +/-

RAM_Designs
01-10-2010, 04:31 PM
There's an ACI SV10 for $50+ ship over at diyma...low end beast, even in a sealed box. I'd grab it if I were you.

thegreatestpenn
01-10-2010, 04:33 PM
get a HT sub, that's why they make them

scottyk
01-10-2010, 04:33 PM
Ya if your looking to spend 200 bucks, just buy a powered sub made for the home application. Period.

Running a sub off a receiver is not really a great idea. Unless it has a sub output channel for a sub, not a pre-out. Which by the sounds of it, it doesnt. I used to run a couple rockford HE2 subs on my reciever a long time ago, sure it worked and ususlly just went into protect, but one day it burnt the thing out, so eventually it will burn out more than likely.

Buy a cheap powered sub for 200 +/-

I'll look for something online.

Also, let me clarify that I meant I'm not looking to buy a home audio woofer for 200+ from bestbuy. I don't buy car audio from there. Ever.

westman995
01-10-2010, 04:36 PM
I'll look for something online.

Also, let me clarify that I meant I'm not looking to buy a home audio woofer for 200+ from bestbuy. I don't buy car audio from there. Ever.

Sorry i read that part wrong, i thought it said you were looking to spend 200 bucks.. My bad.

You can still find cheap powered subs for around 100 bucks. It may not get loud as ****, but it will do just fine. I highly doubt your mom is going to want/need anything more than that, but i could be wrong i guess haha..

Either way, buy a cheap powered sub vs a car audio sub unless you have a plate amp to power it with, which in the long run will cost more.

scottyk
01-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Sorry i read that part wrong, i thought it said you were looking to spend 200 bucks.. My bad.

You can still find cheap powered subs for around 100 bucks. It may not get loud as ****, but it will do just fine. I highly doubt your mom is going to want/need anything more than that, but i could be wrong i guess haha..

Either way, buy a cheap powered sub vs a car audio sub unless you have a plate amp to power it with, which in the long run will cost more.

Yeah she doesn't need super loud. Just right now her little living room set-up was supposed to get an upgrade from the speakers I bought and until she gets a sub it's certainly lacking

tyler_fitz
01-10-2010, 04:39 PM
i used a sundown audio e8 in a t-line and an elemental designs lt.200 plate amplifier. the sub was a recone, i think i got it for around 60, the plate amp was on clearance for 95. it sounds really great, very smooth, gets deep. a ton of sound for a little sub.

scottyk
01-10-2010, 04:40 PM
i used a sundown audio e8 in a t-line and an elemental designs lt.200 plate amplifier. the sub was a recone, i think i got it for around 60, the plate amp was on clearance for 95. it sounds really great, very smooth, gets deep. a ton of sound for a little sub.

What exactly is a plate amp? Not familiar with that?

SicAudio
01-10-2010, 04:42 PM
the amps that come in a home powered sub is a plate amp
i use a 125 rms polk 10" powered sub plate amp on 1 12" kicker c12 and it thumps hard

skitzafit
01-10-2010, 04:50 PM

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=CAT&srchCat=505&CFID=21368353&CFTOKEN=56652912

tyler_fitz
01-10-2010, 04:54 PM

its just the style of amplifier used for home theater speakers/subs. it usually mounts right to the box. the "guts" of the amp are exposed, but on the inside of the box. the knobs, power cord, speaker inputs, etc, are mounted on a steel "plate".

http://www.wmeckle.com/AUDAX/Sub-rear.jpg

the back side of the amp, the "guts". its not the same amp pictured above, but hopefully you get the general idea. two of those wires are the leads that attach to and power the sub...

http://www.halfgaar.net/media/sub-plate-amp

adio
01-10-2010, 05:40 PM
how about a 10 inch sub, a 2 cu ft sealed box and a plate amp?

RAM_Designs
01-10-2010, 05:46 PM
There's an ACI SV10 for $50+ ship over at diyma...low end beast, even in a sealed box. I'd grab it if I were you.

Hell, I'll even get the link for you: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/classifieds/73004-get-out-here-aci-ppi-audiocontrol.html

You will not find a better HT sub for the price, period. Try 1.5-2ft^3 tuned to 25hz. Doesn't need more than a couple hundred watts either.

SicAudio
01-10-2010, 05:48 PM
ported is definately the better way to go for ht

RAM_Designs
01-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Then get this: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-804

Build a nice little box with a single sheet of wood(you can even do plywood and stain it).

SicAudio
01-10-2010, 05:51 PM
The get this: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-804

Build a nice little box with a single sheet of wood(you can even do plywood and stain it).

thats a beastof an amp good choice there

Villeza1
01-10-2010, 06:03 PM
Good info here...

scottyk
01-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Awesome guys! Thanks for all the help! This certainly makes my decisions easier

cotjones
01-10-2010, 11:34 PM
ported is definately the better way to go for ht
...If you know what you are doing!!!!

Otherwise you are going to see Dead/Hot spots, and standing waves EVERYWHERE!!!.

actually ported with home theater is very risky. It can be the best if you know the room's exact sonic properties and frequency response. But in the common man's application a ported built system is going to give you terrible sound.

Sealed is a bit better if you aren't that good with acoustics or you don't want to limit the enclosure to a single application. Put the sub in a corner too. I made an AWESOME wedge shaped corner box for a friend when he got a ht system with the sub angeled at a 50degree's up toward the corner. **** was TIGHT and consistent throughout most of the room.