PDA

View Full Version : basic box questions

missionpilot
12-21-2003, 11:29 PM
I am trying to make a box for my RE 8. The RE website says that for a sq box i need 0.217 cuft sealed box, and for a sql box i need 0.5 cuft in a ported box @32 hz. I've never built a box before, so i have a couple questions. Does it matter what shape the box is in as long as i have the same volume? Should i use 3/4 MDF? Do i need to brace it since its only like 175w rms? Should i go ported or sealed and what would be the advantages in my situation? If i should go to ported how do i tune it to 32 hz? What if i make the box to big or too small? Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks

I typed the specs for the driver into Winisd, and it says that the sealed sq box with 0.217 cuft should be 8.82 W, 13.23H, and 5.87 D. And for the 32 hz, 0.5cuft ported box it says it is supposed to be 11.15W, 16.95H, and 7.29D, with a 4.02 inch round port. Does this sound right? And when i make the port do i just make a 4 inch hole or what?

LoneRanger
12-22-2003, 05:04 AM
Does it matter what shape the box is in as long as i have the same volume?

Nope. Airspace is airspace is airspace.

Should i use 3/4 MDF?

Yes. 1/2" would probably work too since the box is for a single 8

Do i need to brace it since its only like 175w rms?

Nope.

Should i go ported or sealed and what would be the advantages in my situation? If i should go to ported how do i tune it to 32 hz?

I personally prefer ported boxes, but if you're not experienced with enclosure design or construction, I'd suggest you start by building a sealed box and work your way up :) If you do decide to tempt fate and build a ported box, 32 will work just fine. I'd post the link to eatel's subwoofer box calculator, but I'm sick of copying and pasting that freakin link...search yahoo, keywords "eatel subwoofer calculator"

What if i make the box to big or too small?

Too big = loss of cone control. Too small = not loud.

Thanks

As Waldo Geraldo Faldo once said: No prob, bob.