PDA

View Full Version : Dremel or Generic?

Shugarra
12-20-2003, 01:40 PM
I've been thinking about getting a dremel tool for a while just to help out with random projects. The only thing I've noticed is that Dremel is often twice or more expensive than the equivelant generic brand. Are the dremels better? Do they last longer? Or are you just paying for the name? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Mike

LoneRanger
12-20-2003, 02:14 PM
I've been thinking about getting a dremel tool for a while just to help out with random projects. The only thing I've noticed is that Dremel is often twice or more expensive than the equivelant generic brand. Are the dremels better? Do they last longer? Or are you just paying for the name? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Mike

Buy the name brand....and don't buy a cheap one. Tools are something you should never scrimp on.

PS: Get the one with the cord....battery powered one *****.

TPABlazer
12-20-2003, 02:16 PM
the battery powered one runs on AA's or battery packs?

Redford
12-20-2003, 02:36 PM
i think they hvae both TPABlazer

Dremels aren't even that expensive to begin with. Goto Walmart and pick up a decent one for $30.

paikiah
12-20-2003, 03:26 PM
I use a rotary tool by Balck nd decker. I figured that it would do the same as a dremel would, but once I started using it and talking to other box builders, Irealised a major flaw with non-dremel tools.

It's not the unit itself, but the dremel is virtually unlimited in terms of optional items that you can attach to it. I fit all my optional stuff on my B&D (basically an attachment that allows you to use it at length, that's all) whilst a dremel can be used like a jigsaw, etc, etc.

If I could turn back time, i'd have spent a bit more to get dremel. SUre, the options are expensive too, but I'm sure I would've found a lot more use for the tool...

DwnWrdSpiral
12-22-2003, 08:44 AM
i love my dremal and i am gonna be using it on diamond board later this week i will let you know how it cuts throguh that too