PDA

View Full Version : HU Recommendation for Beginner

burtikus
01-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Head Unit recommendation for newbie
Hi all. I've searched the forums pretty extensively looking for advice and reviews, and a lot of them have been very detailed and helpful. But I am finding it difficult to find comments on the exact things I'm looking for in a new head unit, so I thought I'd ask.

I am going to be replacing the factory stereo in my 2010 Subaru Forester (2 DIN opening), but not (for now anyway) upgrading speakers, adding subs, anything like that. I do want to add Satellite Radio (prefer Sirius) to be directly controlled by the head unit.

So I am looking for a unit that has the following features (ranked approximately in order of importance to me):

1. Will control Sirius (or XM) satellite radio adapter

2. Has a good bluetooth implementation, with a strong preference for the ability to download the phonebook.

3. Sounds good.

4. Integrates easily and well with an iPhone 3Gs. Big plus if it will charge that phone as well.

5. Is easy enough to use that my wife will at least be able to figure out how to change from one source to another and use presets.

6. Don't care if it will support an active setup, but it'd be nice if it at least has enough high quality pre-outs that I could run a more powerful system someday.

So far I'm considering, in no particular order, the following:

Pioneer FH-P8000BT (only 2-DIN unit I've found with the right features)
Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X993
JVC Arsenal KD-A805
Sony MEX-BT5700 (not wild about Sony brand but it does have the features)

And I'd love to at least consider an Alpine unit that did everything I'm looking for, but from what I can tell they don't make one (!?) that includes bluetooth and can add a satellite radio? Is that even possible?

Anyway, none of those seem to hit the ball out of the park in all respects, so I'm having a very difficult time making a decision.

Any thoughts or advice would be VERY welcome and appreciated.

Thanks!

nineball
01-07-2010, 01:31 PM
i have the x993 and it does everything you requested. like all others you need the adapter for sirius, has a parrot bt system that is fully compatible with my iphone, sounds excellent, will charge the 3gs, the buttons on the oversized remote make changing both source and preset very easy, not fully active but you do have a lot of settings like time alignment and speaker location/size.

alpine sells everything as an addon, so i am relatively sure you could buy any model and add on whatever you want.

Buck
01-07-2010, 01:32 PM
I really like the alpine 9887.

burtikus
01-08-2010, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the recommendation nineball. I ordered the x993 plus the satellite kit today. Very excited to get started!

burtikus
01-08-2010, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the recommendation nineball. I ordered the x993 plus the satellite kit today. Very excited to get started!